Sign in to follow this  
slybelle

Which version to purchase as a start?

I'm looking to make my first purchase in this series and looking for advice as to which one to start with. I'm leaning towards Vietnam since I never had a game that covered that era. Here are some things to consider:

- I prefer more missions related to air-to-ground attacks

- I already own LOMAC (just mentioning since similar aircraft in Europe version)

- I prefer real life countries but if fictional was well done, maybe not an issue

- I have Vista but not sure that is a major decision maker for me. I have seen many people get all these games work just fine.

So let's hear what you have to say and thanks for your help.

Edited by slybelle

Currently the original game series is being redone and relaunched to work officially with Vista.

If you have Vista you may as well get Strike Fighters 2 which came out yesterday - or wait for StrikeFighters:Vietnam, SF:Europe, SF:Israel.

Out of the original game set I would recommend Wings Over Israel - but they are not officially supported on Vista (they do work though).

I prefer more missions related to air-to-ground attacks

There are basically innumerable plenty of them in all games of the series. The difference is that campaigns in WoV don't generate CAS missions because everything takes place in North Vietnam. But you get to fly strikes over Hanoi which is full of SAMs in the 70s. And AA machine guns at all other times.

I prefer real life countries but if fictional was well done, maybe not an issue

WoV and WoI not only have real countries but real wars. Balance of forces is adjusted to make game more interesting though.

And as MigBuster said, new versions are coming out so you might want to wait a bit.

SF (1 and 2) is fictional but the only game in the series where you can buy planes for your hard earned cash. Just got an F-4B for 95000$ and a strange feeling (greed?) tells me that I should take care of it.

There are basically innumerable plenty of them in all games of the series. The difference is that campaigns in WoV don't generate CAS missions because everything takes place in North Vietnam. But you get to fly strikes over Hanoi which is full of SAMs in the 70s. And AA machine guns at all other times.

WoV and WoI not only have real countries but real wars. Balance of forces is adjusted to make game more interesting though.

And as MigBuster said, new versions are coming out so you might want to wait a bit.

SF (1 and 2) is fictional but the only game in the series where you can buy planes for your hard earned cash. Just got an F-4B for 95000$ and a strange feeling (greed?) tells me that I should take care of it.

Just curious, is there an ETA on when the first release (beyond Strike Fighters) for Vista versions will happen)? If it is not expected for another 6+ months then probably makes sense for me to try one of these out. But if they plan on coming out in the next few weeks then probably should wait. You also now have me very curious about the Israel version:)

Edited by slybelle

The best game in the series from the standpoint of completeness is WOI, in my opinion, but you won't go wrong with WOV or WOE either, and with the NATO Fighters packs, WOE becomes a lot more complete (new version of NF in January, I hope).

Strike Fighters is best used as a sandbox IMO if you want to install a lot of mods, but since you say that you prefer mud-moving, I'd go with one of the other games as SF is a bit thin on the ground.

Ended up finding WOV yesterday in a local store so decided to try that first. So far so good, but trying to learn at this point. I do like how it feels controlling the aircraft, doesn't seem like a struggle like other games. If all goes well, I'll be purchasing the other two shortly:)

slybelle:

If you do not patch your new WoV beyond 08/30/06 or keep a second WoV 08/30/06 install if you patch your main WoV game up to Oct08, then you will be able to:

1. Fly chopers and other prop planes with your 08/30/06 WoV.

2. Purchase and use the upcoming Yankee Air Pirate 2 which is made specifically for WoV 08/30/06.

Panama Red

How do you download the earlier patches? When I go to ThirdWire, only let's me download the latest patch.

Ended up finding WOV yesterday in a local store so decided to try that first. So far so good, but trying to learn at this point. I do like how it feels controlling the aircraft, doesn't seem like a struggle like other games. If all goes well, I'll be purchasing the other two shortly:)

The difference is that... LOMAC is more finely tuned as a whole. So the fedelity is more finer. Not to say the modders (Mirage Factory especially) are half-assed, but LOMAC just is better. But then again it's not modder friendly so I don't play it anymore. After years of flying the Su-33 it was time to move on. So I've been Russian'd out and fly US/Western aircraft, and WOI as a whole, lets me pick and choose.

Malibu's got a WOV campaign mod that built onto TeTeT's Steel Tiger campaign. It's in the downloads and provides more mud moving missions. Check it out in the campaigns forum.

slybeele:

To do the WoV 08/30/06 patch correctly, you need to patch it first with WoV 05/15/06 then patch it with WoV 08/30/06 [otherwise known as Service Pack 4 (Sp4)].

If you did not know it, you can make multiple copies of all the ThirdWire games, just name each main folder slightly different. I for instance have 6 differnt copies of WoV:

1. Sp5 - Oct08

2. Sp4 - 08/30/06

3. Sp4 - GreenHell2

4. Sp4 - Tet'68

5. Sp4 - VPLN

6. Sp4 - Last Stand

This way I can use my prop planes and choppers in the Sp4 games and still have the newer Sp5 game to enjoy for it's sake.

Panama Red

Edited by Panama Red

I will give that a try...but looking for some help. I can't really figure out how to target things. I also find it hard to see the target on the ground....any suggestions?