Sign in to follow this  
CowboyTodd41

I Finnaly Get To Learn About What My

My Grandpa was a B/N on A-20's and A-26's in WWII in 668th BS of the 416th BG of the 9th AF. He passed away before I was born, but I found a book about the 416th called Attack Bombers, We Need You! on Amazon and my dad said its good and my grandpa is mentioned 3 times, and one of those is for being KIA, but he actually made it back through the French underground, pretty cool huh? Well although I can't ask him what he did, maybe this will shed some light on it. And I'll tell you guys if it's a good read!

Yes, let us know Todd. Im always interested in hearing the old vets stories. My dad was a tank commander in Europe during the war but I know little else. My uncle was in Italy in the infantry and told me some hair-raising stories. We think we have it hard sometimes...I always appreciated that generations' grit and tenacity to see a job thru.

Thanks Todd, I would like to hear if its good or not. Thats cool that it mentions your grandpa in it. My Grandpa was in the Korean War, as a Photographer. I haven't ever asked much about it to him, I guess it never came to mind. <_<

I watched a video a couple nights ago about B-17 Bombers during WWII. It had acual footage and sound of the tail gunners and stuff. It was a great show. :)

My Grandpa was a BN also, I dont know what group he was with, but I know he flew in B-24's.

Had to love the placement during WWII... "He had a degree in English, that made him an instant officer".

I've never talked to him about the war, I dont know if its appropriate to really bring it up.

My Grandapa was 6'8 (no joke), and no branch would take him untill he got drafted when the war started. He ended up in a Combat Eng. outfit in N. Africa after Patton came in as CO. He fought with the Big Red 1, 3rd I.D. (Audie Murphy's outfit), thru N. Africa up into Italy/ Sicily, then swung around in '44 to England for D-day. This is no joke. All I have from him is 2 ribbons: 1 for good conduct and the other is the ETO combat ribbon with 7 battle stars. I also have a piece of scrap paper with location and dates in his writing. His brother was in the Navy before the war started, was captured in the Phillipines, and was in the Battaan death march. He survived and was liberated in Japan after the war was over. My uncle on my grannie's side was in the PTO (inf) and fought on Corregador, and Guadalcanal. He is the only one still alive today. The others died from smoking when I was little. I wish they were here today, but I guess they live on thru us. We just have to make sure that we will rise to our country's call when the time comes. My dad did, his dad did, and I did too.

Edited by zagnut

my grandfather was in the Navy during WWII. He was part of the crew on some U-boat hunting blimps. I'm not exactly suer what he did on them, though.

Well since we're all talking about vets, might as well add my share. My Uncle Joe was in Vietnam He was a Marine and sent there when he was only 19 yrs old. Now during the war he saw some nasty s**t. When he got back.........he turned into a hermit. He wouldn't talk to anyone buthis mother and my aunt. He's very irritible now and doesn't like people. :( During WWII my grandfather was a guerrila in the Phillipines fighting the Japanese. He made it after the war but he died a few years later....... :( So no grandpas are currently alive today for me..... :(