Sign in to follow this  
phant

DCS: A-10C Warthog

I can't wait to FINALLY have a sim where realistic ops with both A-10s and helos can be done.

Best shot previously was in a TW sim, but helos there have never really been as good as fixed wing.

I disagree, but that's depending on the environment you work in..

Yeah, but the A-10C is going to be easier due to most of the groundwork laid out already, so hopefully it'll take less time than BS itself..

They'd said 9 months before, so we should expect it by the end of summer. I'm not sure if the A-10A or AH-64 is due next after that, but I'd guess the A-10A since it's just a different cockpit/avionics...FM and most weapons would be identical (like the Su-25/25T in Flaming Cliffs).

I don't remember if they said they were putting the Longbow radar on the 64D or not, but I hope so.

I don't remember if they said they were putting the Longbow radar on the 64D or not, but I hope so.

Unfortunately, no, there is not going to be a Longbow version in the foreseeable future. One of the reasons ED say, is that they're too much classified information to make the aircraft DCS series compatible. There is a real (at least he says so) AH64D pilot on F16.net, who said that the classified information wouldn't be useful in the simulation anyways, and the same amount of secret data can be found in the F-16, which ED supposedly going to make...

Yeah.. that's the main stickler. Alot of details that would enhance the sim... are classified, and Matt knows it, so they can only get unclassified data to make approximations.

I don't know, that's been a problem with military sims since day 1, yet there have been ways around it. Either you approximate or you omit or you deliberately make inaccurate.

Longbow 2 had the radar. Does ED really need to make something better than that, but if they can't they just won't do it? Sounds to me like the DCS series is going to be short-lived if they turn down platform after platform because of classified material.

They can still do Hind :biggrin: Unless specs of the fan in the cockpit are classfied for some reason. :haha:

I don't know, that's been a problem with military sims since day 1, yet there have been ways around it. Either you approximate or you omit or you deliberately make inaccurate.

Longbow 2 had the radar. Does ED really need to make something better than that, but if they can't they just won't do it? Sounds to me like the DCS series is going to be short-lived if they turn down platform after platform because of classified material.

Yes..

It speculated that it is just a cheap excuse not to do it (at least not now)

Actually one can see a rising tendency of the complexity in their *to-do* aircraft list in an abstract way. (at least I do)

Ka-50 - base stuff: single seat, sight system, something that can be called an MFD, base code, detailed flight model

A-10C - new stuff: night fightning capabality, RWR

AH-64A - new stuff: two seat code

Mi-24V - new stuff: troop ferry code in a relatively simple, but highly popular aircraft (at least compared to the preceding planes)

F-15C/Su-27 - new stuff: AA missile and radar code

MiG-29 - new stuff: basic AG ops

F-16 - sophisticated AG radar + all the stuff made already (excluding: two seat and troop carrying)

In this way they leave the most hard to do stuff the last ...

Really you're shorting the Ka-50 sim... it's very detailed, with Kamov's help. It's much more different and alot more aspects invovled than just having a single seat helicopter. And alot of the original code had to be rewritten to accommodate other issues, so they're not doing it half-baked.

This reminds me of F4:AF and LP's excuses why IFF wasn't there. I don't care how complicated the real thing is, just give me the ability to query a locked radar target! The whole AWACS procedure to do it is silly.

Yeah but NVGs are useable, can't have everything :good:

Agreed Jedi Master, but I think they keep it less complicated in order to compete with F4:AF. I personally don't care as most of the time I'm skimming trees and AWACS telling me I got trouble is good enough for me :smile:

The Apache shown in the screenshots is a "D" Longbow model. If it is actually going to be/remain an "A" model, the rotodome and targeting-integrated gyro sensors need to be removed and portrayed correctly. Classified data or not, if realism is what the goal is than accurate depiction should be the road to travel, wouldn't you say?