Sign in to follow this  
slybelle

Difficulty? Is it this easy?

Well, after trying WOV it really hooked me because I was actually able to fly an aircraft fairly good, without having to be an actual pilot:) So I actually immediately purchased WOE and WOI.

The only thing I'm curious about is the difficulty of the enemy. I have flown quite a bit of missions in WOV and WOI but haven't even come close to failing yet. I'm playing on the hard setting for enemy. I basically fly straight for the target and usually destroy it. I have yet to be shot down by a SAM or other enemy aircraft without really using any kind of tactics. I wish I was that good, but I don't think it has anything to do with my skill level since I'm a newbie at best.

Is it really always this easy or am I missing something?

Do you have invulnerability set to on ? It isn't that easy after the latest patches, the AI has gotten much better over the years, and the SAM are pretty good too... I'd go through your gameplay settings one by one and have a look!

And if it isn't set that way - maybe you're much better than you give yourself credit! :-)

SB

I took a look and from what I can tell, I don't have invulernable set on according to the options. Kind of funny since I first posted, in my next mission I did get shot down by a Mig:) Still, it seems like my success rate is a bit high, but maybe I have just been lucky so far.

Try flying Yom-Kippur war campaign on F-4 in WoI :wink:

Or both Linebacker campaigns...

Seems strange to me since the missions over Hanoi are just really crazy with all the sams and things :blink: yeah those Linebacker missions are insane in the F-4 or A-4

Edited by Viper6

Well, I guess to be fair, I certainly haven't played a lot of the campaigns yet, mostly instant action and custom missions. Maybe that is my biggest problem, I should be playing the campaigns instead. I was just trying to learn things better before I took that step.

Well you are doing the right thing in learning the sim when you are

comfortable try a campaing in a F-4, F-105 or A-4 then let us know how you did.

Guess you haven't met the Shilka yet slybelle....

i lost all my sa-2s, so all they use now are Sa-3s

he has yet to meet Mr. SA2 or Mr. Mobile SAM lol We all have been shot down many times over the north...

it is a bad scene up there the chirping of the RWR, and who can forget "Sam Launch" over and over lol

lol, that's when I dive down to evade the SA-2s or SA-6s, then get cought in a KS-19 or ZSU-57 flak storm with a MiG-21 on my tail, and dive further down to just get smashed by a ZPU-2 or ZU-23 or a ZSU-23 tracer storm. WOV, WOE, WOI, and even SFG, it always happens.

This is great to know guys, I just must have not gotten far enough to get into the thick of things yet....back to flying:)

thays right damed at high level from sam's chewed to bits at low level from zsu's and mr big mm guns lol

This is great to know guys, I just must have not gotten far enough to get into the thick of things yet....back to flying:)

lol :ok::biggrin::good:

You have to remember that several people have commented that the Sp5 Oct08 patch REDUCES the SAM's in WOV, so that may be slybelle's problem.

he said that he has yet to try any campaing yet. So sams have been reduced from insane levels to regular death levels? lol

and i still notice all the sam launch calls and the insane rwr chriping lol and planes getting blown out of the sky including mine lol

Well, after trying WOV it really hooked me because I was actually able to fly an aircraft fairly good, without having to be an actual pilot:) So I actually immediately purchased WOE and WOI.

The only thing I'm curious about is the difficulty of the enemy. I have flown quite a bit of missions in WOV and WOI but haven't even come close to failing yet. I'm playing on the hard setting for enemy. I basically fly straight for the target and usually destroy it. I have yet to be shot down by a SAM or other enemy aircraft without really using any kind of tactics. I wish I was that good, but I don't think it has anything to do with my skill level since I'm a newbie at best.

Is it really always this easy or am I missing something?

What level are your games patched to? What mods/terrains are you using?

My guess is that you are missing something. I have so many sams and enemy bvr missiles comming at my flight that many times my AI squadron mates jettison all of thier bombs and tanks well before the target zone, if they did not have Chaff and Flares none of them would make it to the target.

Set the enemy air defence to heavy, do the same with enemy air activity. Also in game you might want to do some F7ing to verify how many and what kind of Sams AAA and radars the game is placing

on the map. One thing to might be adding a few 0's to all of your aircrafts "detect range" for each aircrafts data ini.

try flying iron hand against an sa-6 battery guarded by tungustas

my F-4E does not even have chaff just a puny ECM pod that doesn't really help, i'm lucky to get into the target area with one or two planes

even if we hitthe target getting out is still trip through hell :blink:

Get into the campaigns, your survival rate drops dramatically. I'd be astounded by anyone getting through more than 10 missions doing the 100 mission challenge now.

I've only made it as far as mission 4 :blink: WOV is no joke flyin into the north

I just now got shot at by 9 SA-2s, and they were coming for me, i jinked and dodge 6 of em, but the last 3 i couldnt dodge cause i ran out of speed and out of altitude, i started jinking around 25000 ft

Yeah, it is NO fun when your energy is very low AND the SAMs keep comming :blink: