Sign in to follow this  
Tantobot

Formosa Terrain water flickering

Hello everyone, I recently downloaded this terrain and while flying I have noticed that beyond the coastal areas there are patches of water that flicker constantly. I have tried the method suggested in the knowledge base for editing the water level, but to no avail.

Tantobot,

Here is the info I posted after spending a lot of time trying to get to the root of this problem. I did request that it be added to the Knowledge base but I don't think it ever was. Hope it helps.

" Great news for those of you who, like myself, had given up hope of fixing the water shimmering issue. I've finally cracked it!

What I did was a clean install of WOI, I then extracted and checked the Israel Data.ini and noted the following parameters:

[HeightOffset]

LowDetailMesh=-1.0

WaterMesh=1.0

With the default setting I was getting a bit of shimmering but not too distracting, then I applied the latest patch, the result: horrible shimmering.

I checked the new Israel Data.ini after the patch and found that the parameters had been lowered to those recommended in the Combat Ace KB, i.e.

[HeightOffset]

LowDetailMesh=-1.0

WaterMesh=0.8

So I decided to go against received wisdom and increase the parameter, finally arriving at the following:

[HeightOffset]

LowDetailMesh=-1.0

WaterMesh=1.8

This has eliminated all shimmering, the water looks great and I haven't seen any adverse side effects.

I hope this fix works for you if you been suffering the horrible water shimmer affliction, good luck, Geoff"

Tantobot,

Here is the info I posted after spending a lot of time trying to get to the root of this problem. I did request that it be added to the Knowledge base but I don't think it ever was. Hope it helps.

" Great news for those of you who, like myself, had given up hope of fixing the water shimmering issue. I've finally cracked it!

What I did was a clean install of WOI, I then extracted and checked the Israel Data.ini and noted the following parameters:

[HeightOffset]

LowDetailMesh=-1.0

WaterMesh=1.0

With the default setting I was getting a bit of shimmering but not too distracting, then I applied the latest patch, the result: horrible shimmering.

I checked the new Israel Data.ini after the patch and found that the parameters had been lowered to those recommended in the Combat Ace KB, i.e.

[HeightOffset]

LowDetailMesh=-1.0

WaterMesh=0.8

So I decided to go against received wisdom and increase the parameter, finally arriving at the following:

[HeightOffset]

LowDetailMesh=-1.0

WaterMesh=1.8

This has eliminated all shimmering, the water looks great and I haven't seen any adverse side effects.

I hope this fix works for you if you been suffering the horrible water shimmer affliction, good luck, Geoff"

That's the fix for sure. Thanks for re-posting For the first time the carriers also look right. But is there also a "fix" for floating and exploding planes on the carrier deck? Bob

I've had problems with carriers in the Korean Air War mod with my planes exploding as soon as a take-off mission starts, so you might want to check the same things for this mod.

This was for the KAW carriers:

Victorious

25DeMayo

Melbourne

I did a search and someone suggested that setting the collisions to easy would cure it, but it didn't for me.

So I did some digging in the files and noticed some differences between the positions.ini and the Carrier_DATA.INI files. Through a process of trial and error I got things to work even on Hard collisions. The changes I made were:

Edit the Carrier_DATA.INI in Carriers folder.

Change in the DATA.INI:

All 15.3340 to 15.5340

[Hull]

ModelNodeName=Hull

EffectSize=1.0

//MaxExtentPosition= 28.98, 152.25, 19.58

MaxExtentPosition= 28.98, 152.25, 15.5340

[Deck]

SystemType=FLIGHT_DECK

FlightDeckHeight=15.5340

Basically the plane was being positioned inside the carrier at the start of the mission and hence exploding. Now I can actually take-off!!

And the Demayo2.msn needs the carrier to be moving or else the catapault doesn't have enough power to throw you off the deck. Set the carrier speed to 9.0-ish and you'll be OK.

I've had problems with carriers in the Korean Air War mod with my planes exploding as soon as a take-off mission starts, so you might want to check the same things for this mod.

Victorious

25DeMayo

Melbourne

I did a search and someone suggested that setting the collisions to easy would cure it, but it didn't for me.

So I did some digging in the files and noticed some differences between the positions.ini and the Carrier_DATA.INI files. Through a process of trial and error I got things to work even on Hard collisions. The changes I made were:

Change in the DATA.INI:

All 15.3340 to 15.5340

[Hull]

ModelNodeName=Hull

EffectSize=1.0

[Deck]

SystemType=FLIGHT_DECK

FlightDeckHeight=15.5340

Basically the plane was being positioned inside the carrier at the start of the mission and hence exploding. Now I can actually take-off!!

And the Demayo2.msn needs the carrier to be moving or else the catapault doesn't have enough power to throw you off the deck. Set the carrier speed to 9.0-ish and you'll be OK.

Thanks Panama... I'll start with your suggestions as soon as I leave the office :clapping:

Victorious

25DeMayo

Melbourne

Change in the DATA.INI:

All 15.3340 to 15.5340

[Hull]

ModelNodeName=Hull

EffectSize=1.0

[Deck]

SystemType=FLIGHT_DECK

FlightDeckHeight=15.5340

Well sonfagun that worked for my stuff in a patched KAW mod so I went to a patched Cuba OTC. When going higher in deck height didn't work I went lower to get CVA-62 to work. But a new problem: Take offs were fine but even landings set on easy would put me right into the hangar deck. Hmmm. Any more data to manipulate?

Edited by Harry