Sign in to follow this  
gerwin

CatPack Archiving utility

CatPack Archiving utility

View File

CatPack - Archiving utility for Third-Wire CAT format, GB 17-07-2011.

V1.22, Freeware, Use at your own risk, files limit is set at 8000.

Packs all files in current folder to CatPack.cat except CatPack.exe/CatPack.cat.

Unpacks any cat file you drop on the icon to a folder with the archive's name.

You can press Ctrl+Break to interrupt and close the program, but it will leave

files unfinished when doing so.

UPDATE:

CatPack V1.1 will extract contents of the new Strike Fighters 2 Cat (no 2) archives.

The Display will tell the Cat version to be 2, instead of 1.

Subfolder information contained in version 2 archives will be restored properly.

The unicode filenames in the version 2 archives are converted back to ASCII,

therefor actual unicode-only characters in filenames will not be restored.

Catpack does not yet support creating a version 2 Cat archive. Maybe later.

CatPack V1.11 works properly when Cat files are in folders that have their

'archive' flag set. This seems to be the case with the SF2 objects folder.

CatPack V1.12 has some additional features when extracting a Cat archive:

First it automatically creates an index file of the Cat file.

Second and it allows one to optionally pass a wildcard string, only files matching

this wildcard string will be extracted from the archive. For example "mig" will

only extract files that have "mig" in their name or extension.

CatPack V1.22 Supports extracting a slightly new Cat format (no 3) as introduced

between May and July 2011. Yet the compressed format that was also introduced

is not supported.

As SF2 since that time does not recognize version 1 cat archives, support for

creating version 2 and 3 was added. Though without packing subfolders. For now it

is recommended to just use format 2.

Credits:

Gerwin (gbroers[at]quicknet[d0t]nl) - Author

Kreelin and Paolo - Beta testing of V1.1.

Allegro game programming library - File and Unicode routines.

Which folder do I install this into? I just needed to ask in case I make a pig's a*se of it

Which folder do I install this into? I just needed to ask in case I make a pig's a*se of it

For extracting archives it does not matter where you put the program file, as long as the icon is visible

so you can drag 'n drop a cat file on it.

For creating new cat archives you must (temporarely) place the program file inside a folder that contains the files you want to include in the new cat archive.

good luck,

For creating new cat archives you must (temporarely) place the program file inside a folder that contains the files you want to include in the new cat archive.

Excuse me for my dumb question but how exactly do yu convert them back into a cat archive using the extractor. I know it's not the drag and drop method used for extracting...

I made some changes to the some aircraft in SF2 Vietnam, but the game engine will not recognize those changes even though the files are in the associated folders. So I figured the only way to fix that is to reconvert them back into cat files...feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW I'm using xp still

Excuse me for my dumb question but how exactly do yu convert them back into a cat archive using the extractor. I know it's not the drag and drop method used for extracting...

I made some changes to the some aircraft in SF2 Vietnam

CatPack can;

1-Extract a version 1 Cat archive, for SFP1,WOV,WOE,WOI

2-Extract a version 2 Cat archive, for SF2

3-Create a version 1 Cat archive, for SFP1,WOV,WOE,WOI

What you intend to do is to 'Create a version 2 cat archive', but that feature is not available in CatPack.

SMALL UPDATE:

CatPack V1.11 works properly when Cat files are in folders that have their

'archive' flag set. This seems to be the case with the SF2 objects folder.

This should fix the "Error: cannot create subfolder" issue.

This is a very awesome little utility; so awesome indeed, I'm going to mirror it on my website, to provide a second d/l site for it, for those who can't wait until the next day to download it (you hit your download limit fast on CA, with so much awesome stuff).

I've had to do a few OS re-installs recently (don't ask) and this is always one of the first things I download and install. Essential!

Thanx everyone for your appreciation!

UPDATE ALERT:

Second and it allows one to optionally pass a wildcard string, only files matching

...This should save you some time and disk space.

Great gerwin!

Thanks!

This would be Modders tool of the year if you would add packing of Directories :good:

I know there is now Third Wire's official cat extractor which will work better for most of u.

Still I updated this program a little for my own usage. See update notes above / in the readme.

Thanx everyone for your appreciation!

UPDATE ALERT:

...This should save you some time and disk space.

Hi, I dragged and dropped several (one at a time) SF2 Cat files on the extractor and got an "Error: File is not a proper cat-file." each time, what did I do wrong?blink.gif it worked worked fine for my older SF1 but gave me this error when I attempted to do the same with SF2. Has TK locked these files so that your software can't open these files anymore?

Hi, I dragged and dropped several (one at a time) SF2 Cat files on the extractor and got an "Error: File is not a proper cat-file." each time, what did I do wrong?blink.gif it worked worked fine for my older SF1 but gave me this error when I attempted to do the same with SF2. Has TK locked these files so that your software can't open these files anymore?

Some SF2 cat files are compressed. CatPack cannot work with those.

Currently most SF2 cat files are uncompressed. CatPack can work with those.

The new official thirdwire extractor will work compressed cat files. still, some limitations apply.

Some SF2 cat files are compressed. CatPack cannot work with those.

Currently most SF2 cat files are uncompressed. CatPack can work with those.

The new official thirdwire extractor will work compressed cat files. still, some limitations apply.

Hi gerwin I just dragged and dropped every cat file in sf2's object folder and none will extract... is it safe to assume it no longer works with sf2?

The official extractor works fine but it seems to deliberately miss the .lod model files? O.O

The lod files are property of Thirdwire. TK does not want anyone to D/L them and use them for something else. There are 3rd party downloads for almost every thing in StrikeFighters. Most of the time you can use those Lod's if you get the modders permission FIRST.

The lod files are property of Thirdwire. TK does not want anyone to D/L them and use them for something else.

Aaah OK good to know, makes sense.

i need unzip a file .cat but with the applicatton SFP1E i can't... another aplication please? the message error is " application terminated ; error calling external object function readbytes

THANKS

i NEED unzip a file .cat but with the applicatton SFP1E i can't... another aplication please? the message error is " application terminated ; error calling external object function readbytes"

THANKS