Sign in to follow this  
bucklehead101

arrggghhhh

So for my belated 18th birthday present here in Korea, my parents decided to have my wisdom teeth removed.

So there I was, on my back with Novocain pumped into my mouth when he says look at the time. Ill be done in less than an hour. They put this green tarp over my face and proceeded to cut. All four in 27 minutes.

The taxi ride back across the river was horrible. Bouncing all over the street with this ice pack pressed against my face. Went to bed popping Ibuprofen and frozen vegetables on my face. When I woke up this morning, I had thawed green beans on bed with blood smeared all over my pillow case. If that wasn't enough, i looked in the mirror and found out that I had John McCain cheeks. My mouth is so damn swollen.....

Im figuring on dropping a couple pounds as all I've eaten is a bowl of ice cream. Thank God for juice.

So until further notice, ill be playing on my PC.

-Sean

Damn, all 4 at once?.... in 27 minutes!?!?!?!? What did he do, rip them out!? Geez. I only had one wisdom tooth removed, and it took them over an hour to yank that b**** out. I can testify to the fact that the pain does go away.... but probably not as fast as you want it to go.

Wander if the Dentist is a sadist?Probably,enjoyed themselves while your face was covered.Grinning away!Can you tell I hate Dentist too?Good grief,27 minutes for all 4.Man,I feel for you and hope you heal fast.

Be better off in the long run though without the wisdom teeth.

Brady

Edited by WDH

Damn. I had mine out two at time and that was no fun.

Oh man thats not fun! Been there and done that back in Feb 1984 when I was stationed

at Moody AFB. All four wisdoms out about an hour or so. I was out cold so I remember

the experience only in fragments. Man -O- man I hope you recover soon.

When I had my wisdom teeth removed, two of them could be pulled right at the dentist, but the other two I was sent to jaw surgery because the X-rays showed the roots were twisted up pretty bad. The actual procedure did not take very long, cutting with the little electric saw had a slightly disturbing sound though. Anyway I have no fear of the dentist so the actual procedure was a piece of cake. The bad part was the pain afterwards, and the taste of the thread they used to stitch my gums back on. I used a mix of painkillers that attacked the pain from different sides but that was still not always as effective as I had hoped. And yeah there was the bleeding too. I had a bunch of bandaid thingies I was supposed to stuff into the mouth and bite down on, to keep pressure on. I did not drown my pillow in blood much though.

Anyways I feel for ya. Recovering from this kind of thing is not a fun time. I would say much worse than the actual procedure.

I had all 4 out at once when I was in college. I don't remember exactly how long it took, around an hour or so. I wasn't asleep, though, it was just localized.

I didn't go back to the dentist for 9 yrs after that.

I only had the one out, about 18 years old at the time too. That hurt like backside burglary for weeks but mostly from getting a secondary infection in the unplugged gap creating a vicious abscess the size of a golf ball. All it took the "dentist" to get it out though was a shot in the gum, a small flathead screw driver , a pair of pliers and a foot. All out in under 10 minutes. If you had all four out, I feel for you bud! Get well soon!! If the ibuprofens don't work, ask your doc for codeine phosphate based painkillers, they are the next up the scale.

And for God's sake keep your wound clean! You DON'T want an infection!

Edited by Mab Glyndwr

Guest 531_Ghost

All four removed at the ripe ol' age of 18?! Holy crap! I'm 48 and still have mine. I'm a lucky guy when it comes to teeth.

I got all 4 of mine taken out at the same time when I was stationed at Vandenberg in 1994. It sucked because he couldnt seem to numb me up enough. I felt it all. So he got frustrated and just jerked him out of my mouth. If I hadnt been in so much pain I would of kicked the guys ass to the moon. No wonder to this day I hate dentists.

Hang in there bucklehead it will get better.Your better off getting them out early.I had two removed last year(age 38).the top one took 5 min the bottom took almost 2 hours.the tooth exploded into five or so parts and they had to pry them out one at a time then grind out what they couldn't pull.I felt nothing while it was goping on and actualy was laughing at the dentist and the assistant pulling and strugling so hard.it was also fun because I was trying to talk the whole time and sounded like some demented muppet with a severe brain injury.after the first hour the doc decided to go old school and asked the assistant to get an old instrument out of the storage closet to finish with because the new fangled tools were bending under the strain. :rolleyes: the doc said my bone density in my jaw was the highest he had seen in his life and was probobly due to all the smashing around from football.I decided to not have the one(I had an odd number of wisdom teeth) on the right side removed.heck I'm saving my meds from the extraction for the upcoming football season if I decide to come out of retirement. :blink:

It seems in the US Navy, that is normal to pull all your wisdoms. I got 3 pulled when I was in boot camp in 81. My son just got 4 pulled last month in A school. The dentist did not seem to have a budget with the novacaine, I got a full syringe per tooth and my son tells me it was about the same for him. He did get one dry socket, I didn't have any problems.