Sign in to follow this  
frontmann

A.I. don't like power fighting!

I'm sure this topic has already been debated on this pages but i wasn' able to find it out...how can i get my a.i. opponents to power fight? I mean, when i shot down three slow and "tight" turning Phantoms with my Mig-17, not to tell outrunning the fourth, i feel it's a bit unrealistic. How can i get these pilots to hit and run at high speed? In other words, how can i get "EXCELLENT" training level A.I. pilots not to dogfight and instead preserve energy and speed, when they are expected and should do so?

Of course, they weren't intended originally as targets and anyway it's a game...one is supposed to get some fun out of it, not get some frustration. But i can't believe to the game and "immersion" becomes critical at seeing an F-4b manoeuvering at 200 Kn!

The MiG-23 in WOI tries slashing attacks sometimes - was most impressed with that - maybe there is some AI code in the Mig-23 that contributes to that?

The MiG-23 in WOI tries slashing attacks sometimes - was most impressed with that - maybe there is some AI code in the Mig-23 that contributes to that?

I posted this on the right subforum also...anyway i'm trying to find out which file(s) and which line (s)should be modded. I'm afraid that it's up to many of them combined. Trying to figure it out but seems a hard work. Any help, like yours, will be welcome

Unfortunately,

There are no sub-routines to add. There are no magic declarations or values you to add to either an aircraft's data.ini, nor to the aircraftobject.ini. No amount of fiddling will result in a virtual Robin Olds or Randy Cunningham stepping into your wingman's F-4.

The AI is scripted to either engage BVR, head on in a merge, or in tail chase mode. The aircraft type and its capabilities as defined within its data.ini (I'm not even going to go into that, sorry), and determine the speed at which an AI aircraft can fight and maneuver. There are global parameters that one can mess with in the aircraftobject.ini, but after 6 years of tweaking (both by the developer and by yours truly), I can state with confidence that the current AI and default aircraftobject values are about the best I've seen to date. There are a few exceptions, and those mostly deal with weapons delivery.

I wouldn't give the impression i'm overconfident on my (scant) abilities. If i did, i do apologize.

Indeed, although disappointing, this reply is what i was looking for.

As i said on my first post, i knew that a lot of people before me noticed the problem and tried to fix it...simply i couldn't find it on the forums.