Sign in to follow this  
delta6

Bear Intercept

Just in case you wanted to SEE the real thing.

post-3589-1230960763_thumb.jpg

Love these type of photos...having done a fair few bear clearing in UK airspace with the F3 and 1 with typhoon F2,it is an awsom sight,there very majestic and seem to float along,and a huge icon of military avaition...and it amazing how different nations react to bears in space...(not real space..air space..lol)...some give calm and gentle "nudge" them back on course,other ive known just Sh*t themselves and dance all over the sky...lol

Edited by nwdingo

Do you wave to them normally nwdingo then or do they stick their fingers up or what lol??

Do you wave to them normally nwdingo then or do they stick their fingers up or what lol??

normally both sides just end up taking photos of each other...so much for military might when deep down were all wanna be models...LOL.

there are times when we had to pay attention..one time we were baby sitting 2 italian AM tornados comming in,as the raf leased a few to the AM...we then got the bear cleaning call,as it was routine i took one AM with me on the bear hunt...all i can say is never again...EVER.!!!...to cut it short it resulted in myself having a bear bank hard right..where my aircraft was and about a 5 meter near miss.

That's right, they're flying Bears out your way again now. I'm sure they were thrilled with photos of your ride. :grin:

Are these Tu-95s equipped with devices to process your onboard radar signals?

Like they must have used some way to classify NATO radars in their Phantasmagoria pods.

Are these Tu-95s equipped with devices to process your onboard radar signals?

Like they must have used some way to classify NATO radars in their Phantasmagoria pods.

one would think so...............

:wink:

I believe most RWR/TEWS machines have recorders so even if the crew never gets an indication in their cockpits that something is up, on return to base the techs can access that and see what happened.

Only if the antennas are totally wrong for the freqs used would they get NOTHING.

Just remember it hasn't always been the fighter bubba's that have intercepted the Soviet Naval Aviation snooper

Here is a P-3 with a TU-142F NATO callsign=Bear Foxtrot

gallery_9564_220_11216.jpg

A KA-6D of VA-95 with a TU-95D NATO callsign=Bear Delta

gallery_9564_220_16299.jpg

A-6E of VA-115 with a TU-16G

gallery_9564_220_25765.jpg

As to recording everything. You betcha buddy. Both sides were recording. If the Soviets overflew a US Carrier Battle Group, most of the time it was both the ships and any airborne EA-3B's or EA-6B's that were recording. AV-MF or Soviet Naval Aviation had a pair of specific aircraft built strictly for ELINT/Recon efforts. One was the TU-95E Bear E, it has a camera package installed in the bomb bay along with additional ESM attenna. The other was the TU-16D with were modified variants of the TU-16C to specifically carry ESM/ELINT equipment. Both versions would do the same thing that RC-135 Rivet Joint or EP-3 Aries aircraft would do. That is troll along in international airspace listening.

Here is a F-4J intercepting a Bear E

gallery_9564_220_19071.jpg

Damn, not even the A-380 has engines as impressive as those of the Bear...

I think the A380's have more thrust and less noise though. :wink:

It's probably like comparing a Harley with a crotch rocket... the Harley is noisy but slow, so you actually have time to see it and be impressed by it... the crotch rocket, you barely see it passing with all it's speed... Yeah, I definitely prefer slow but impressive! :good:

Just remember it hasn't always been the fighter bubba's that have intercepted the Soviet Naval Aviation snooper

Here is a P-3 with a TU-142F NATO callsign=Bear Foxtrot

gallery_9564_220_11216.jpg

A KA-6D of VA-95 with a TU-95D NATO callsign=Bear Delta

gallery_9564_220_16299.jpg

A-6E of VA-115 with a TU-16G

gallery_9564_220_25765.jpg

As to recording everything. You betcha buddy. Both sides were recording. If the Soviets overflew a US Carrier Battle Group, most of the time it was both the ships and any airborne EA-3B's or EA-6B's that were recording. AV-MF or Soviet Naval Aviation had a pair of specific aircraft built strictly for ELINT/Recon efforts. One was the TU-95E Bear E, it has a camera package installed in the bomb bay along with additional ESM attenna. The other was the TU-16D with were modified variants of the TU-16C to specifically carry ESM/ELINT equipment. Both versions would do the same thing that RC-135 Rivet Joint or EP-3 Aries aircraft would do. That is troll along in international airspace listening.

Here is a F-4J intercepting a Bear E

gallery_9564_220_19071.jpg

one of my old buddies did an intercept with an E-2. Of course what they did was get out way ahead of him and took photos as the Bear went screaming on by...............