Sign in to follow this  
Hawkeye

Pitts S1s Flight Vs. Lomac -- General Realism

Hey guys,

We had very low ceilings here in Nashville today -- 1100 AGL at best. I needed to get the water out of my lycoming so up I went -- it was a great excuse none the less. After a couple touch and gos (I do an 800ft. AGL pattern in the Pitts), I decided to skim the deck just to see how accurate our AWOS was. As I got closer, I began to feel like I do at home with lomac -- with a 17inch old NEC multisync by the way.

Now isn't that just a nice tribute to the developers of this marvelous flight simulation? Lighting, sound, movement, everything except for my sore tail bones was there. You could see patches of the layer that were lighter than others just as in lomac, you could see depth in the layer, as in lomac -- it was all there.

Just an early evening comment on a gray day in Nashville for what I believe is a fantastic sim. Give me a couple bud's, my super sonic lomac SU-whatever, a distant rural military runway, and I'll do touch and go's with options until the cows come home! Do they have cows in the Ukraine?

Have fun guys,

-- Hawkeye

Guest MrMudd

Hehe Cool beans.

Have you seen My eagle Soup Video yet? VMC min conditions and IFR with the eagle, through Fog, Thunderstorm and rain to an ILS Approach.

OK -- just found an old thread so I'll try to pull it down off of:

ftp://ftp.chproducts.com/pub/BioHazCentral/LOMAC_Eagle.zip

You have a screen shot for that mission showing general vis. down to 0. I'd say that definitely qualifies for IFR time.

I heard a story from a friend (so take this with a huge grain of salt as all my hangar guys like to talk a lot) -- a military cargo plane, I want to say C-130, which may be wrong -- was flying from Italy to a base in Germany. Over the Alps they pick up weather and go on instruments. The weather gets thick with several layers all the way down to 500' or so AGL. They pick up a report from their primary and secondary airports that there is thick ground fog. no where to go, all fuel reserves will be used at either 3 of their alternatives.

They pick the best out of the 3 based on fuel and possible go arounds. They nail it the first attempt. The runway is never seen, only felt by both pilots. The fog is so think they have to call out for a tow. The pilots just sit on the runway (later reported to be smack dab square on the center line). They know the tow has arrived because the truck runs into the gear.

Well, that's my story (fable?) for the night -- no luck on the video, I think that ftp site is bogged down -- I'll try again later --

-- Hawkeye

Well Hawkeye, I remember one landing that I "heard" (could not see it).

I was on the side of the runway 19 at Eglin,FL (10000 foot runway) when

an Eagle came in - dead on center, "slightly" above glideslope. He had to take

a departure end barrier. Some problem with ground equipment.

Another time, I was really mesmerized watching C-5 coming in, in similar

conditions. Hit the deck on "captain`s bars". :o

Sounds like that might have been a career ending "slightly" above glideslope -- I hope not though.

Is Eglin right on the coast down there? Some friends of ours go to the beach on the gulf and come back with fighter stories where they can see "fighter jets" dogfighting out over the water. Sounds like a fun place to live if that's the case.

I was in San Diego for a while out in Miramar, and you'd see the F18's come and go -- no fighting, but pretty fun to watch them do an overhead approach for a very hard left turn to set up their downwind. Got to love that sound!

-- Hawkeye

...Is Eglin right on the coast down there?  Some friends of ours go to the beach on the gulf and come back with fighter stories where they can see "fighter jets" dogfighting out over the water.  Sounds like a fun place to live if that's the case...

Yes it is. Ft. Walton Beach, Destin, Valparaiso area.

Well, on a clear day I guess you could see the trailers over the ranges.

There`s a lot going on in that area. Occasionally, at night you can even see

C-130 Spectre gunships firing at ground and water targets (looks like the damn

tracers are going up not down!)

Real busy base! It`s been a while though since Ive been there.