Sign in to follow this  
Dave

B-1B Lancer AKA "The Bone"

No Not yet... if it had been im sure there would have been a few pics from me or Spectre showing Mach 1 low level bombing runs in ODS :lol:

That would be nice, like to take it in the weeds and really see how it flies..

thats the bit i cant wait for... id even do recon missions! :lol: Mach 1 in the weeds over a recon target.... Stuff high altitude.... ill get you closeups from about 30ft :lol::rofl:

The recon pic shows how many fillings some scared sucker has, then you are low enough!

:good:

thats the bit i cant wait for... id even do recon missions! :lol: Mach 1 in the weeds over a recon target.... Stuff high altitude.... ill get you closeups from about 30ft :lol::rofl:

Hehe not these days.... no need to crash into a mountain when I can just dial in the zoom..

Hehe not these days.... no need to crash into a mountain when I can just dial in the zoom..

That takes all the fun out of it.... besides i never crash :lol:

After watching this video of B1's in action over Iraq, makes me wonder what kind of munitions they were using, some of the explosions are huge!

A typical load that I saw were GBU-31 2000lb JDAMs. They make a nice big bang.

-S

I don't think you "plink" with 2000's, that's more a "whump." :biggrin:

That AMRAAM idea has been floating around for years, based I guess on the fact that the Bone and the F-16 radars share many components. I think one reason it never "flew" is that AMRAAMs aren't nearly long-range enough to keep the Bone out of harm's way should the enemies choose to pursue. Sure it's fast down low, but at altitude where you'd want to be launching them from it's just barely supersonic, and you don't want to be dogfighting in a Bone. :wink:

Maybe with a scramjet type long range missile sort like the Meteor? Or here is a crazy idea, make it able to carry and launch Phoenixes! :yes:

Maybe with a scramjet type long range missile sort like the Meteor? Or here is a crazy idea, make it able to carry and launch Phoenixes! :yes:

The AIM-120D has almost the same effective range as the last generation of the AIM-54 (rumors are, 180 km), and something on the order of 3X the PK as the '54C. Its seeker head sports an LPI AESA radar. So, why use a 35 year old missile design that's not been upgraded since the late 80s/early 90s?

Also, the only thing preventing the B-1B from exceeding Mach 1.4, is its low-observable inlet design. It's within the realm of feasibility to modify the design in order to allow it to supercruise.

The AIM-120D has almost the same effective range as the last generation of the AIM-54 (rumors are, 180 km), and something on the order of 3X the PK as the '54C. Its seeker head sports an LPI AESA radar. So, why use a 35 year old missile design that's not been upgraded since the late 80s/early 90s?

Also, the only thing preventing the B-1B from exceeding Mach 1.4, is its low-observable inlet design. It's within the realm of feasibility to modify the design in order to allow it to supercruise.

just like the russia's R-77 M with Ramjet...just rummors....in maybe 200 or 500 years well see those flying

just promisses and promisses :good:

Really? I was under the impression it had much longer range than that. And that it was faster. Hey this wasn't about being realistic anyway but about being crazy. How do you think a phoenix would have performed if it had continued to be upgraded?

Looking at the AIM-120D my other suggestion of using Meteor looks like it would be uneccecary too. What is the max effective range of the Meteor anyway?

The AIM-120D has almost the same effective range as the last generation of the AIM-54 (rumors are, 180 km), and something on the order of 3X the PK as the '54C.

:shok: :shok:

Really? I was under the impression it had much longer range than that. And that it was faster. Hey this wasn't about being realistic anyway but about being crazy. How do you think a phoenix would have performed if it had continued to be upgraded?

Looking at the AIM-120D my other suggestion of using Meteor looks like it would be uneccecary too. What is the max effective range of the Meteor anyway?

Well, a Phoenix is much heavier to begin with, and that renders it at a marked disadvantage agility-wise, when it comparing to something the size and mass of an an AMRAAM. The '54 was designed to be a long-range bomber killer. The fact that "its faster", is again, a moot point against an agile target.

LPI radar in combination with GPS, means that at least in theory, that one can acquire ranging and position data on a target with a single sweep, secure the radar, and then launch a missile "dumb" at the target's projected flightpath. As the missile approaches its waypont, it lights off its radar, and acquires the target without any further guidance from its launch platform.

LPI radar in combination with GPS, means that at least in theory, that one can acquire ranging and position data on a target with a single sweep, secure the radar, and then launch a missile "dumb" at the target's projected flightpath. As the missile approaches its waypont, it lights off its radar, and acquires the target without any further guidance from its launch platform.

Then when that fails, you go to guns!!!!!!!!

For some reason that comment made me picture a missile with a gun.. hey a rocket propelled radar guided gun pod.

..excuse me while I go make an appointment with my shrink.

It made me flash to guns on da bone!

Maybe quad Gau-8 ringing the cockpit, with closable doors to keep supersonic integrity?

Yeah, OK, I'll go munch my meds now... :biggrin:

A typical load that I saw were GBU-31 2000lb JDAMs. They make a nice big bang.

-S

Yes they do :smile:

It made me flash to guns on da bone!

Maybe quad Gau-8 ringing the cockpit, with closable doors to keep supersonic integrity?

Yeah, OK, I'll go munch my meds now... :biggrin:

Or in a nod to both WW2 and Airwolf..... a retractable belly pack containing the aforementioned GAU-8 Avengers......

Just a thought :lol:

Of course, there was no AIM-120D when the B-1R proposal first surfaced. I don't even know if the 120As were in service yet!