Sign in to follow this  
gaunt

Hello and a question about patches

I wanted to to introduce myself and say hi here. My first post and I'm new to WOV. My friend introduced me to this game and we are both playing it now. What I was wondering is if there is some sort of patch or iso I can use so we don't have to keep switching the disc back and forth between our computers to start the game. I thought there would probably be some sort of way to do this but I haven't seen mention of it yet. Great game, though, and I love that there is a big online community for it here! Thanks in advance.

Not to presume too much here but why are you both playing off the same disk? Legally, you both should have a copy of the game.

As regards patches. www.thirdwire.com should have everything you need.

Edited by kirbykern

im not saying its a good idea or not, but try google. but if somethign bad happens, dont blame us.

just buy another copy, its cheap, and you can just download the game directly from thirdwires site.

I wanted to to introduce myself and say hi here. My first post and I'm new to WOV. My friend introduced me to this game and we are both playing it now. What I was wondering is if there is some sort of patch or iso I can use so we don't have to keep switching the disc back and forth between our computers to start the game. I thought there would probably be some sort of way to do this but I haven't seen mention of it yet. Great game, though, and I love that there is a big online community for it here! Thanks in advance.

as someone pointed out - what you are asking is how to illegally cheat TK out of the cost of another licensed disc. I don't think you will get much sympathetic help here.

Go to the Thirdwire site

http://www.thirdwire.com/index.htm

go to the on-line store and pay for a legal download and THEN patch both computers up to the latest standard.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the sim!

All of the above posters are correct in that you should buy the sim and never cheat TK out of anything he has blessed us with these sims and the ability to mod them at no cost please buy the game :good:

Like I said, I am just trying the game out so I don't know if I want to buy it or not just yet. I kind of want to get a feel for it and see if I like it enough. I heard that it was a good game for mods and such and that there was a decent sized online community. You never know when it comes to older games. Sometimes there's just no one left online still playing it. 

A couple more questions, though.

1. Can you set it up to play lan with just your friends who are on the same router? If so, how can I do that?

2. Also, I'm having a bit of difficulty navigating the downloads here. Is there a way to filter them so I only see the ones for WOV?

3. Any thoughts on "First Eagles"? I've been looking for a good WWI sim for a while now. It looks like it's the same game engine but I was wondering if there are a lot of people who play it online still. Maybe that's more my speed.

Thanks for your help!

All of the above posters are correct in that you should buy the sim and never cheat TK out of anything he has blessed us with these sims and the ability to mod them at no cost please buy the game :good:

Like I said, I am just trying the game out so I don't know if I want to buy it or not just yet. I kind of want to get a feel for it and see if I like it enough. I heard that it was a good game for mods and such and that there was a decent sized online community. You never know when it comes to older games. Sometimes there's just no one left online still playing it. 

A couple more questions, though.

1. Can you set it up to play lan with just your friends who are on the same router? If so, how can I do that?

2. Also, I'm having a bit of difficulty navigating the downloads here. Is there a way to filter them so I only see the ones for WOV?

3. Any thoughts on "First Eagles"? I've been looking for a good WWI sim for a while now. It looks like it's the same game engine but I was wondering if there are a lot of people who play it online still. Maybe that's more my speed.

Thanks for your help!

First Eagles is pretty good and yes, its built on the same engine. There are mods for that and for the WOI, WOE and WOV (which are essentially the same game but different scenarios).

Interesting....

I like this statement:

What I was wondering is if there is some sort of patch or iso I can use so we don't have to keep switching the disc back and forth between our computers to start the game

Since the requirment for 'having the disc in the drive' vanished with SFP1 Patch #1...one wonders what -word deleted- site the software came from. Once installed, you don't need to have the disc 'onboard' so to speak; WoV has never had this issue.

TK has never issued any demo's of ANY of his games, so my alarm bells are ringing pretty loud...

Do yourself a favor...spend the 20 bucks, buy it off TK 3rd Wire site, install properly, and you won't be sorry

Wrench

kevin stein

I hope the others here have made a convincing enough appeal that our site and members only offer support for authentic installations. These types of topics are clearly something we want to discourage and hope everyone can appreciate our views and policies regarding these issues. Generally issues like this boil down to it's either an authentic install supported on the vendors site or it's not.

Thanks for understanding and welcome to the community.

You have to wonder about anyone ripping Thirdwire games. Hell, they are easily the most affordable series i've ever seen. I even picked up WOE at Frys for $10.

Next month should be getting both WOI and First Eagles.

Interesting....

I like this statement:

Since the requirment for 'having the disc in the drive' vanished with SFP1 Patch #1...one wonders what -word deleted- site the software came from. Once installed, you don't need to have the disc 'onboard' so to speak; WoV has never had this issue.

TK has never issued any demo's of ANY of his games, so my alarm bells are ringing pretty loud...

Do yourself a favor...spend the 20 bucks, buy it off TK 3rd Wire site, install properly, and you won't be sorry

Wrench

kevin stein

I'll have to check again, but I do think my "store bought" WOV required the CD before the first patch. I recently reinstalled my TW sims and I recall hitting that issue.

Regardless, I can understand "try before you buy" as long as you do "buy" if you intend to play the game going forward.

My apologies if I came off a little harsh. I do not mean to imply illegal behavior where it is not proven.