Sign in to follow this  
Dload

Anyone want to try the YF-17?

I was just wondering, but is anyone WIP on a YF-17 Cobra? I think it would be cool to have one!

Please keep this stuff here and out of the Pub. Since this is related to a Thirdwire game, it goes in the Thirdwire forum. Thank you.

Please keep this stuff here and out of the Pub. Since this is related to a Thirdwire game, it goes in the Thirdwire forum. Thank you.

Sorry. :sorry: I mess up a lot.

I was thinking a modded F-18 until a new one comes out. I need some good USAF Decals. Could any of you help?

Edited by Dload

I haven't had a chance to work on a mod yet so I am interested in getting my feet wet. I have looked over the decal tutorials and I think with some experimenting I can get something to work. PM me and we can talk.

EDIT:

After looking over some images of the YF-17 it seems that there are some fairly major structural differences between it and the bug.

YF-17_01.jpg

Here is a YF-17 with an F-18 sketched over top. Its not very clear but you can see some differences.

yf17-f18.jpg

Edited by zmatt

There are as many differences between the YF-17 and F/A-18A as there between the F/A-18A and F/A-18E.

YF-17 had USAF-standard "stick" gear like the F-15 and F-16 have, not the beefier ones the Hornet got. No dogtooth on the wing, smaller LERX's, bigger slots in the LERXs for air to pass through, funny looking stabs, the list is long.

The main issue is it's really not much different from an F-16A in many ways, and since we have those a modder would have to have a lot of particular interest, which none have to date.

I guess he doesn't want to make one after all.

More than likely wanted someone else to do it for him.

I actually did quite of bit of research on the subject...in fact, I've got pictures I took of the YF-17 in F-18 prototype colors at the small air museum next to the USS Alabama. It's amazing what you find at some of those out of the way places...

Also, if you're really curious, you can pick up the book 'Northrop YF-17 Cobra' by Don Logan. Excellent reading.

FC

Hey, wait a sec! I can give some good data on it! I've just been working on papermodels! I want to do it! I don't want someone else to do it!

The thing I found most fascinating was the design iterations leading to the YF-17 design showing the F-5 lineage clearly.

you have a good point. The F-18 is a direct descendant of the F-5. What the F-20 should have been.

you have a good point. The F-18 is a direct descendant of the F-5. What the F-20 should have been.

How does that statement in any way make sense?

If the F-20 should have been an F-18...then it would have a different name. The...wait for it...F-18!

FC

What I mean is the F-20 and the F-18 both share the same lineage except the F-18 became very successful. The F-18 is what the F-20 should have been, success wise.