Sign in to follow this  
gaunt

Multiplayer problem PLEASE HELP!

When I click on multiplayer my screen just goes black and never comes up with anything! My friend is able to click on multiplayer and set up his computer as the host but when I try I just get a black screen so I'm not able to join. I've looked through everything I can find on the subject but I've seen no mention of this problem. Any suggestions? It's pretty damn frustrating. I just want to play a co-op mission with my friend. I don't suppose I can use the online option with Hyperlobby either since I would have to click multiplayer to use it, too. 

Found a bug on the site? Want to make a suggestion or request a new forum topic? Please post it here!

Forum Led by: Combat ACE Moderators

This forum is for this website, not for any game. If you can tell us what game your issue is with, I can move it to the proper forum as someone there can attend to the issue.

Fates

Without even knowing what game you are asking about, I will venture a guess as to what is happening:

You have a firewall enabled on your PC, so when you click on multi-player and the game starts trying to scan for hosts, it hangs.

Examples of games that I have witnessed with this behavior include the Third Wire SFP1 series, Operation Flashpoint, and Starfleet Command.

Sometimes, you will see a dialog box asking if you want to allow the game to pass through the firewall (if so, say yes and maybe your problem is solved), but I have seen many cases where someone's firewall interacted in such a way that there was no dialog box to let you know what was happening.

A quick test will tell you whether or not your firewall is your problem: turn it off and start multiplayer.

If you stop getting the black screen, then the firewall is the problem.

If so, you have two choices:

1) Leave the firewall off while playing the game.

2) Configure the firewall to open the appropriate ports for the game.

The game is WOV. I've thought about the firewall issue, actually, and I've looked to see if anything was blocked afterwards but there wasn't anything in my logs. I have to hardboot the computer though each time since the screen just stays black. Do you know what ports multiplayer on WOV uses? 

Without even knowing what game you are asking about, I will venture a guess as to what is happening:

You have a firewall enabled on your PC, so when you click on multi-player and the game starts trying to scan for hosts, it hangs.

Examples of games that I have witnessed with this behavior include the Third Wire SFP1 series, Operation Flashpoint, and Starfleet Command.

Sometimes, you will see a dialog box asking if you want to allow the game to pass through the firewall (if so, say yes and maybe your problem is solved), but I have seen many cases where someone's firewall interacted in such a way that there was no dialog box to let you know what was happening.

A quick test will tell you whether or not your firewall is your problem: turn it off and start multiplayer.

If you stop getting the black screen, then the firewall is the problem.

If so, you have two choices:

1) Leave the firewall off while playing the game.

2) Configure the firewall to open the appropriate ports for the game.