Sign in to follow this  
ArgonV

Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven and Hell Phase 3 is now available!

Would you spend $50 for one ticket to see a movie? How about a play on Broadway? A hamburger? A watch? A pair of shoes? A mortgage payment?

I think few would argue $50 for a brand new WWI sim with modern graphics and MP and a great campaign was too much. This is not that. It's still using the 6+ yr old CFS3 engine, a DX7 engine at that. Il-2 came out the year before but even it had "real" water not just textures moving along. It took until later patches for TK to get good looking water in his sims, but he did. CFS3 was dumped after one small patch and CFS4 was cancelled, so that never happened.

CFS3 can give great FMs and DM's. The AI can be tinkered with. You can add any plane you want and make it fly like you want. You can make any textures you want for ground, sky, planes, ground objects, etc. You can create a whole new front end for the campaign engine to feed the game with the missions you want. There's no doubt this is a good 1/2 of what a sim requires. Yet it also needs an engine to run on, and CFS3 doesn't have a great one.

OFF is like spending a lot of time and money putting a new coat of paint, redone interior with great sound system and GPS, fancy new rims and tires, and improved shocks and struts on a Pinto. Sure it looks and feels great, it's better than any Pinto to have come before it by a mile, but when you drive it you can't hide that it's a Pinto.

I'd spend $25 to make my Pinto look better, no question. I spent $30 for FE's expansion pack I think. I'm not going to spend $50.

Jedi Master, these are all valid points you bring foward. However I think you do not realize one thing or maybe have overlooked it: The CFS3 engine was designed to be scaleable as system specs improved. So while when CFS3 was released it looked and ran like dog poop, with todays powerful PCs it can be made to look and run much much much better. On par with any modern flightsim out there today. Infact, I enjoy OFF P3's down-low terrain better that DCS Blackshark's! IMO it just looks better in OFF P3.

As long as there is no install issues with Vista I will get OFF3 no doubt. I will support any simulator game developer as long as I don't have to go crazy getting it to run on my OS. I recently got out of building plastic model kits because the cost of the hobby got to lopsided compared to the enjoyment value. With model kits averaging $40-$50 for mid-range kits and over $100.00 for a top end kit which will occupy about a month or two of your time then collect dust, $50.00 for a good simulator is way more bang for the buck.

i am a bit concerned like another poster here that this sim is still using the old cfs3 engine (plus i havnt got my old cfs3 cds anymore!)...so when compared to say oleg maddoxs new upcoming release Battle of Britain... which will no doubt be miles ahead in graphics and other features and be similarly bangs for bucks priced (althogh its ww2 of course!) i think what started out as a freeware build with enthusiasts may have just jumped on the commercial bandwagon.......then again it may be a worthy sim..i haven't even seen any screens yet if anyone knows of any please show me a link me to them...

I did try the other patches for cfs3 that the conversion O.F.F. offered and they were a good freeware addition to what was a flopped and dead engine! and at the time it did breath new life into the cfs3 engine...whether the latest is up to 2009 expectations i will wait and see....

I suppose considering the cost of just ONE addon for say FSX or fs9 can be $35-40, then if this is a total professional conversion with all the planes and extras etc then it may just be worth all the effort and the 50 bucks!

Then again no matter how you tart this old piece of mutton up...it will never be Lamb! (and oleg maddox sim is lamb with mint sauce and all the trimmings!)...and ....also when looking at the freeware stuff out there at the mo like the addons for Thirdwire fsim First Eagles The Great War 1918 sim...(yes its basic but it gets the job done!) this tarted up piece of old mutton better be wairing all her sexy gear and high heeled shoes if shes to win joe public over!

Edited by coltsr2

Just checked the screens and O.F.F. Phase 3 looks just like mutton..tarted up....some nice planes and models but nothing to get excited about..............even the intro screens remind me of cfs3...i guess its just the price tag that will swing this one.....if it was a free conclusion to the other two then ..wow great awesome job!!..but $50 for this is just too much in my mind.........i nver liked cfs3 and although OFF brethed some life back into the engine phase 3 just looks like the other two...i guess there is more under the bonnet..but looking at it i dont think i will be bothering...

Mutton ! DX7 ! Derision ! Elitism ! Pinto ? You guys are very colourful and imaginative. Okay for those who wish to inform themselves rather than speculate you can check the screenies and vids here as well as other stuff. Total cost $59 US (includes postage). For that you get the Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven and Hell DVD in an artfully decorated DVD case.

If you're not interested I fully understand :wink:

http://www.overflandersfields.com/info.htm

Catch, still dropping in, still plugging OFF :biggrin: .

You know there are many flight sims out there... you should try a few, it'll put OFF in perspective for you, & maybe understand what some are saying here.

BTW, the real deal is ROF - looks awesome, and coming soon... see first post here at SIMHQ for a taste of how its raising the bar:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topi...tml#Post2656178

Edited by peter01

Catch, still dropping in, still plugging OFF :biggrin: .

You know there are many flight sims out there... you should try a few, it'll put OFF in perspective for you, & maybe understand what some are saying here.

BTW, the real deal is ROF - looks awesome, and coming soon... see first post here at SIMHQ for a taste of how its raising the bar:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topi...tml#Post2656178

Lol yep still pluggin' Pete :biggrin: Major flight sims I've played or play are IL2 1946, FE, BOBII WOV, FS9 on top of OFF and that's enough for me. OFF beats them all imo. But WW1 is my favourite theatre of aerial combat. If I like a product I'll promote it quite happily. Yes ROF does look outstanding. Look forward to seeing how it turns out. As for OFF there's huge negativity here so I'm obviously wasting my time. Have fun converting those jet FM's' into acceptable WW1 flight models in FE. I wish you the best of luck Pete.

Lol yep still pluggin' Pete :biggrin: Major flight sims I've played or play are IL2 1946, FE, BOBII WOV, FS9 on top of OFF and that's enough for me. OFF beats them all imo. But WW1 is my favourite theatre of aerial combat. If I like a product I'll promote it quite happily. Yes ROF does look outstanding. Look forward to seeing how it turns out. As for OFF there's huge negativity here so I'm obviously wasting my time. Have fun converting those jet FM's' into acceptable WW1 flight models in FE. I wish you the best of luck Pete.

That's wasn't nice.

Peter does excellent job on FE stock and custom FMs, and as far as i know he doesn't convert "jet FMs" into ww1 ones. On the other hand, what OFF developers did? Converted ww2 FMs into ww1 ones :rolleyes: but please do not compare modder's work to what company does, and charges for, in the first place.

And no, there's no "huge negativity" here regarding OFF, we are just discussing about new ww1 sim on the market (yes, it's based on 7 y.o DX7-level engine of other sim known for it's unsolved bugs) if you want a place where ppl bow in front of OFF screenshots page without a second thought, check other places

(dedicated developer's forum would be the best place, but it doesn't exist, does it?)

For the record I have the utmost respect for what Pete has done and continues to do with FE's FM's. As I said I wish him well. It is a very frustrating and time consuming business indeed. I'm sure he will agree with that.

This link gives you all details about OFF Phase 3 http://www.overflandersfields.com/

And this link is the developers forum http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

I'll leave it at that.

For the record I have the utmost respect for what Pete has done and continues to do with FE's FM's. As I said I wish him well. It is a very frustrating and time consuming business indeed. I'm sure he will agree with that.

This link gives you all details about OFF Phase 3 http://www.overflandersfields.com/

And this link is the developers forum http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

I'll leave it at that.

Both sites are well known to me catch, I've been tracking OFF development for a long time (about 2 years now since I d/l P1), please don't treat us as uninformed ignorants that cannot find information about things we discuss here, no matter you like the conclussions or not

Developer's forum -my definition- forum maintained on developers site/domain, that they pay for; not sub-forum on popular flightsims site.

Well folks, I think all that can be discussed about OFF:BHaH for now has been discussed.

The best thing is to decide for yourselves if it is worth it or not. If one of us on the staff buys it, you may see a review here.

With that, this thread is closed.

FC