Sign in to follow this  
Viper6

Remembering Dr. King

May we as a people one day see past the crap that keeps us hating. To one day see all people as family. One love to all of

you, my brothers and sisters. Please see the content of character and not the color of skin.

...though the mountain grade may seem steep and endless, i strive towrds the summit that lies above...

...If you can't run walk, If you can't walk crawl, just keep moving forward...

Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase.

His words more or less:

I have a dream, that a man will not be judged by the color of his skin but the nature of his charactor (spelling?!).

I believe this is what this day is about.

My perception is that we practice this every day here.

:ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

Its what Ive always tried to do, judge a man by his character. Hell, it works both ways , even buttheads come in all colors, therefore color isnt an issue as to what kind of person you are,

I often wonder what our world would be like if men like MLK, JFK and Bobby were still around,,,,

His words more or less:

I have a dream, that a man will not be judged by the color of his skin but the nature of his charactor (spelling?!).

I believe this is what this day is about.

My perception is that we practice this every day here.

If only we did practice that. Its a shame that his message has been ignored.

The colour of a person's skin is about as important to me as the colour of your tee-shirt.

It's what the person is like as a human being that counts.

Common sense really, innit.

At the age of 9, I sat on a curb on Washington Circle in the Capital as Martin Luther King, Jr and thousands of his supporters walked by on his way to the Lincoln Memorial to give the "I have a dream" speech. For a Wonder Bread-white kid from the suburbs raised in the 1950's in a very segregated world, it changed my life forever.

Now, I'm at an age I should be a Republican. But my eyes teared up when I heard these words on Election Night:

"So let us summon a new spirit of patriotism; of service and responsibility where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves, but each other." Grant Park - 11/4/08

I'm proud to be an American. I'll be even prouder on January 20th.

/politics off

The colour of a person's skin is about as important to me as the colour of your tee-shirt.

It's what the person is like as a human being that counts.

Common sense really, innit.

I will judge a man in a pink t-shirt.

And judge a womens intentions in nothing but a T-shirt.

:ph34r: CL

'It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important. '

Not one of Dr King's most poetic statements but one that has always haunted me because of it's pragmatism.

'I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word. '

I share that belief but as the great man said.

'Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals. '