Sign in to follow this  
king_kahuka_godobel

AC-130 replacement

What do you think will replace the AC-130H/U? My guess is the C-130J with the same guns.

The E/AC-6C Gunship "POUNCER" that would be cool.

Edited by MAKO69

AC-27j light attack aircraft

I've heard about this one too, but I can't help but think that it may be too small a platform. For those who haven't heard of it, the description can be found here.

What, no more 105mm flying aerial artillary?! :blink: No way!!! Whatever replaces the AC-130 must have the same "heavy shell argument" aboard!

Yeah I heard of the AC-27J for short range, accurate support.

The AC-27J is being used to supplement the AC-130's not replace them. Also Boeing are doing some evaluations of the C-17.

The Spartan is a handsome airplane.

Mini Spectre?

What guns will it have?

Does a gunship have to have a high wing?

Puff, AC-47s didn't.

I could see another 737 Mod

:ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

The proposed AC-27J will have a maximum gun size of 40mm. Tests on the prototype stored at Davis Monthan have proven it can carry the 40mm and be able to handle the side forces involved.

Isn't the newer C-130 gunship proposal going to involve an airborne laser variant? I know this one's a testbed vehicle:

181425-525-350.jpg

but how close would this resemble a production variant?

Thats a test program from 2006 for Socom to see if the system was viable, they used a low poered laser. If it is they would be able to fit it into something as small as the V-22 Osprey.

The AC-27J is being used to supplement the AC-130's not replace them. Also Boeing are doing some evaluations of the C-17.

Boeing is trying like mad to find more customers and missions for the C-17 airframe.

I'm looking forward to the AC-27J. I think it's one of the smarter moves the AF has made recently, in regards to acquiring new aircraft. COTS (Commercial Off the Shelf) is the way to go and doesnt keep the aircraft in a drawn out testing phase for years.

-S

Any word on what guns? A couple 30 mike mike gatling guns would be way wicked.

:ph34r: CL

I hardly think the C-27J qualifies as COTS! It's the same thing as the C-130J...new engines and cockpit in a proven airframe.

While C-27s are cheaper than 130s, I think they should only supplement them not replace them. The 40mm guns are good, but sometimes you need that 100+ punch. :wink:

I hardly think the C-27J qualifies as COTS! It's the same thing as the C-130J...new engines and cockpit in a proven airframe.

While C-27s are cheaper than 130s, I think they should only supplement them not replace them. The 40mm guns are good, but sometimes you need that 100+ punch. :wink:

That because I wasnt talking about the airframe only.

The weapons and configuration will not be something radically new that will eat up time. They are using already tried and true weapons. The 25mm Bushmaster is a contender and is used on the Bradley. Talking with a few gunship guys I still know, engineers wanted millions to redo the mounts for the aircraft. The gunners simply showed them how to do a minor modification to the existing mount design. Problem solved.

The idea for the Gunship Light is not to replace the AC-130, but as you said, supplement them. You cant be everywhere at once and the AC-130 fleet is requested everywhere.

You have to wonder why so often things that work well aren't simply transplanted from one airframe to another but instead they make a whole new thing from scratch. At least the jammers for the EA-6 were used on the F-111 and now the EA-18G. Then there was that ASPJ fiasco.

I know they still need to replace the older AC-130s, and something tells me we'll never find a better replacement...than a newer AC-130!

Isn't the newer C-130 gunship proposal going to involve an airborne laser variant? I know this one's a testbed vehicle:

181425-525-350.jpg

but how close would this resemble a production variant?

Would make no sense since the damage current laser can inflict is to little if nothing compared to a 25mm/40mm/105mm weapon pack. In so far I have heard the only platform for laser weapon on an aircraft is a modified Boing 747.

Would make no sense since the damage current laser can inflict is to little if nothing compared to a 25mm/40mm/105mm weapon pack. In so far I have heard the only platform for laser weapon on an aircraft is a modified Boing 747.

Would the laser really be used as a replacement for the big guns or would it be used as a "less lethal"-weapon (think huge flashbang :biggrin: )?

Was reading in a Mag that that the guys who operate the AC-130 series have been given the funding now for the proposed AC-27J nickname is Stinger II. To carry up to 30mm or a 40mm main gun and also carry Northrop Grumman-built Viper Strike bombs to give it more punch.

In so far I have heard the only platform for laser weapon on an aircraft is a modified Boing 747.

No, that's component of the ICBM intercept system for the US missile shield. This one is an actual testbed.