Sign in to follow this  
Dels

Prop Engine Values

I decided to take a break from modding and have a fly of my C-130J last night and was wondering why the thing wouldn't accelerate past 180kts level.

Now, I know there have been some issues with Prop aircraft after the latest patch, so back to modding I decided to find out what was wrong. After many hours I found that the only problem I had was the RPM values of the engines. By doubling the RPM values I was able to get the performance that it had before the Oct/Nov08 patches.

Unfortunately, this does two things. Firstly, the RPM values are not the same as the real aircraft (not a major issue) and secondly, I'm confused. IIRC these values had no bearing on engine performance before.

Another thing I noticed is that the props no longer slow down. They keep the "fast prop" mesh throughout the engine power range when before they showed the higher detail propellers below about 10% power. The only way to show the propellers now is to shut the engines down.

I know I'm taking a stab in the dark here, but does anyone have some insight on the above issues?

Thanks in advance.

Dels

Edited by Dels

I decided to take a break from modding and have a fly of my C-130J last night and was wondering why the thing wouldn't accelerate past 180kts level.

Now, I know there have been some issues with Prop aircraft after the latest patch, so back to modding I decided to find out what was wrong. After many hours I found that the only problem I had was the RPM values of the engines. By doubling the RPM values I was able to get the performance that it had before the Oct/Nov08 patches.

Unfortunately, this does two things. Firstly, the RPM values are not the same as the real aircraft (not a major issue) and secondly, I'm confused. IIRC these values had no bearing on engine performance before.

Another thing I noticed is that the props no longer slow down. They keep the "fast prop" mesh throughout the engine power range when before they showed the higher detail propellers below about 10% power. The only way to show the propellers now is to shut the engines down.

I know I'm taking a stab in the dark here, but does anyone have some insight on the above issues?

Thanks in advance.

Dels

Maybe TK is working towards more realistic propeller operation? In RL Constant Speed means the propellers turn at the same RPM regardless of engine power once the set governing RPM value of the prop is reached, hence more engine power = more propeller blade bite (steeper angle towards the front) to produce more thrust as the propeller remains spinning at the set RPM.

But then Dels, you already know that being on the Herk. I havn't looked at current game values myself, but have recently (bears come to mind) seen Constant speed = False when I thought they should read "True"

Edited by drdoyo
  • Like 1

Maybe TK is working towards more realistic propeller operation? In RL Constant Speed means the propellers turn at the same RPM regardless of engine power once the set governing RPM value of the prop is reached, hence more engine power = more propeller blade bite (steeper angle towards the front) to produce more thrust as the propeller remains spinning at the set RPM.

But then Dels, you already know that being on the Herk. I havn't looked at current game values myself, but have recently (bears come to mind) seen Constant speed = False when I thought they should read "True"

Thanks for the reply. I will spend a bit more time on this before I release my next project...

Dels,

This isnt related to the engine, but the Herk FM in general.

Have you figured out how to overcome the standard upward pitch tendancy? The aircraft seems to have a tremendous amount of lift or trim. You are always fighting the aircraft to stay level?

Being a Herk baby, I hope you get your project squared away. The Four Fans of Freedom will always be close to heart.

-S

I'm having issues too. I don't do props, but I use the 'spinner' to make turbines that move.

Ever since the patch, I find my 'blades' just don't rotate very fast. RPMs seem to have no effect.

Anyone know what I can adjust to make them spin faster?

FC