Sign in to follow this  
ezlead

Iranian Air Space

LMAO, but what about the Tomcats?

the static displays.....?

:rofl:

You mean ur gonna kill off their brand new fighter F-5/ F-18 wanna bes? God ur so mean Dave, lol.

Screw em, does anyone really think their air force is a threat to US air power? Not hardly. As for the Tomcats, yeah, the ones they do manage to get airborne won't even make to the merge before they are blown out of the sky by a, Super Bug, F-15 or an F-22. The Iranian AF is a paper tiger.

I suggest a proportionate response:

Screw em, does anyone really think their air force is a threat to US air power? Not hardly. As for the Tomcats, yeah, the ones they do manage to get airborne won't even make to the merge before they are blown out of the sky by a, Super Bug, F-15 or an F-22. The Iranian AF is a paper tiger.

I don't even think deep down in reality the Iranians think their Air Force is a threat to the US.

The fact that a percentage of their aircraft would be destroyed on the ground by pilots sitting in a booth in Nevada drinking coffee makes me smile.

I doubt the lighthouse one only because I'm not aware that A) many of them are manned anymore and B) they'd be watching approaching ships or have a radio to use. That's more a harbor deal.

Agreed, it sounds like a remake of the lighthouse myth.

...And having served a year driving a 13-ton landing craft I would argue that not a single guy responsible for navigation on any boat/ship in any navy would mistake the lights from a lighthouse with those of a surface vessel. There are very strict rules on which lights going were on a ship, just to make sure things like that doesn't happen.

However, facts aside, they are good stories! :tongue:

Iran's AF isn't a threat, but their SAMs certainly are. Of course, as they're only in their own territory that limits the threat to others.

Their navy and IRBMs are another story.

Be carefull they have F-4 Phantoms.

i found it today in internet

Iran successfully tests new type of air-to-air missile

The Iranian army announced Sunday that it successfully tested a new type of thermal air-to-air missile, capable of reaching targets at a distance of 100 kilometers.

In an interview played by the news agency "Fars," the General Staff, Shahsafi Hassan, revealed that Iran still working on a new prototype of missile, and also began to develop a model of the spy plane that can not be detected by radar.

Since 1992, Iran maintained a development program with which the military faces the embargo imposed by the United States after the war with Iraq (1980-1988).

Since then, the country managed to acquire a modern and powerful arsenal in which include missiles for medium and long range, which tests regularly.

http://br.noticias.yahoo.com/s/25012009/40...-novo-tipo.html

Edited by Silverbolt

Hmm, an IR missile with a range of 60 miles. That is one sensitive seeker! Gotta love those ingenious Iranians.

I keep hoping to catch a few glimpses of their Phantoms out of Bushehr, but they didnt come out and play. I'd have even dropped the boom to top them off as a gesture of good will. Oh well.

-S

Iran's AF isn't a threat, but their SAMs certainly are. Of course, as they're only in their own territory that limits the threat to others.

Their navy and IRBMs are another story.

The second that Navy becomes an active threat is the second Operation Praying Mantis II occurs and their Navy ceases to exist.

The second that Navy becomes an active threat is the second Operation Praying Mantis II occurs and their Navy ceases to exist.

One word: Kilo/Paltus SSK

Yes, the navy isn't too much of a treat, but they have tree quite modern SSK, and they could be a problem.

Also, ask the Israelis, even old AShM can be a real problem, and there are several both on FAC's and on land in Iran.

One word: Kilo/Paltus SSK

Yes, the navy isn't too much of a treat, but they have tree quite modern SSK, and they could be a problem.

Also, ask the Israelis, even old AShM can be a real problem, and there are several both on FAC's and on land in Iran.

I have complete confidence in the skippers of the Los Angelas/Seawolf/Virginia Class boats that will be/are operating in the area who have trained the better part of their adult lives for the unlikely moment that they can use all the training they have fighting submarines for real.

I feel sorry for the Navy that has to fight the US Navy when they get the chance. How many years have they been waiting to use their ship/sub killing toys? It is going to be ugly for thier foe.

I have complete confidence in the skippers of the Los Angelas/Seawolf/Virginia Class boats that will be/are operating in the area who have trained the better part of their adult lives for the unlikely moment that they can use all the training they have fighting submarines for real.

I feel sorry for the Navy that has to fight the US Navy when they get the chance. How many years have they been waiting to use their ship/sub killing toys? It is going to be ugly for thier foe.

Yeah, that's probably right. However, there are some dangers in the Gulf. Subs may not fare well in shallow water, but that is more of a problem for the 688 and Seawolf-class than for the smaller SSK's. Also we have a true brown-water situation, with all the associated problems of mines, FAC's, land based missiles and so on.

Granted the US would win, but there's no denying the possibility of a lucky shot damaging or destroying a major surface vessel.

...but this has pretty little to do with the original story, so it's probably by faaaar OT. :rolleyes:

I'm not worried about our subs at all. I'm worried about their subs attacking surface vessels with little or no warning, taking the "first shot" as it were.

If we get in a shooting war with Iran's navy, we're going to wish we'd kept the S-3Bs around.

2 weeks? I give you 5 to 1 odds, its 10 days.....

I'm sure he meant the "two weeks" :grin:

If we get in a shooting war with Iran's navy, we're going to wish we'd kept the S-3Bs around.

From what I've heard, the helo bubbas will have things well in hand.

nuclear depth charges patterned across the gulf......