Sign in to follow this  
tank03

Any photo buffs out there?

I've recently made the switch from a 35MM SLR camera to a digital SLR (Canon Xsi). Aside from having to buy new lenses/filters/and flashes, I now need to find a decent photo editing software that's relatively cheap, the software that came with the camera isn't that good. I know Photoshop is "The Best" out there but it's more money than I wanted to spend.

I recall a thread about photography a while back and was curious if anyone had any suggestions as to what they use.

If it came with Digital Photo Professional (DPP), its usually a pretty good starting point, Zoom browser etc are not that bad but can be a bit of a resource hog, otherwise Photoshop Elements wont let you down.

BTW was your previous 35mm a Canon too?

My stuff:

Canon EOS 20D

Sigma 28-105

Sigma 50-500

& a bag full of memory cards...lol.

If it came with Digital Photo Professional (DPP), its usually a pretty good starting point, Zoom browser etc are not that bad but can be a bit of a resource hog, otherwise Photoshop Elements wont let you down.

BTW was your previous 35mm a Canon too?

My stuff:

Canon EOS 20D

Sigma 28-105

Sigma 50-500

& a bag full of memory cards...lol.

My previous camera was a Minolta Maxxum. I've got a handful of lenses (28-80, 70-300, 50 prime) that won't fit anything but a minolta. I also have a bunch of screw on filters (UV, Cir-PL, crosshatch, red, green, yellow, ND) and Cokin squares that are now obsolete because of the magic of digital processing. I still use the Cir-PL, and ND filters from time to time, but all the other stuff can be done on a computer.

The first thing that I instantly loved about going digital is that it's free to take pictures. When I used to have to pay for film and processing I sometimes got stingy about whether a shot was worth it or not. Now I can take hundreds for free.

I am leaning towards Elements, if only because I didn't know of anything else.

When you shoot, do you shoot in JPEG or RAW format? I understand the advantages of RAW, but it takes up so much more space on the card.

Edited by tank03

Just starting this beautiful hobby, my girl friend got me interested in SLRs

Very basic stuff for start:

Nikon D80

AF-S DX VR 18-55

Saving money for:

AF-S DX 55-200 (or 18-105)

good tripod (current one is a toy)

NEF (RAW)

Just bought a couple of days ago;

-Nikon P80

(10.1 MP, 18x opt zoom, adjustable ISO diaphragm and so on)

I like it a lot already!

I normally shoot in RAW+JPEG[medium], it gives you the best of both worlds really, but you are right they take up a lot more space on the card [and take longer to write to it], cards are pretty cheap at the moment tho. once you get used to working with raw you wont look back IMO.