Sign in to follow this  
ezlead

Something unexpected

I work about a mile away from Dekalb Muni. Airport,Dekalb,Illinois.

I was sitting in my car at lunch having a cup of coffee and a smoke,when I heard the sound of a heavy turbine jet aircraft.

I looked over towards the airport and I saw a jet aircraft taking off. He turned downwind and went into the landing pattern.

I am pretty good at aircraft recognition,but I could not figure out what this jet was.

He did several circuits and I could not see him very well(cloudy and overcast).

He finally turned close in and flew directly over me. I got out of my car and was extremely

surprised to see a Mig-21. :blink: He was painted a light grey(almost white) and was carrying two wing droptanks.

I don't know where he came from or what he was doing there,but it was extremely cool to see one. :good:

Edited by ezlead

Cool!! I guess there would not be a airshow this time of year lol. New addition to a museum?

Hey Storm:

I get the Dekalb paper,but I must have missed that article.

Thanks for the link.

I will have to go out to the airport and see if I can get a close up look see.(Drool Drool all over my shoes)

I'd go out there with my Phantom cloak on and kick her in the tire! lol

wow.....!

I was in an airliner (in the cattle car section...) holding short for takeoff going on a business trip when the Captain came up and said we would take off in a couple of minutes after "a couple of little planes landed". So I looked out the window and looked at the head on view of a Mig-15 on short final.

I think the guy in the seat next to me was somewhat startled by my reaction...........!

When I lived in Southern Cali (Hawthorne) The airport there used to have Airshows on a weekday before the show two Mig29's were doing ACM's and I got to see a tailslide in person I lived one block west of Hawthorne Blvd,

5 blocks from the flight line! The Roar was incredible!!

Some years back I was driving home from uni, approaching the airport, and saw dot with long dark smoke coming off the runway, and that was not normal so I paid attention. We past each other -- it north, me south. It was a MiG-15, followed by an F-86 taking off behind it, with more dark smoke. Smooth.

Illuminating article: Private MiGs ~> http://aeroweb.lucia.it/~agretch/Features/PrivateMiGs.html

Hey Storm:

I get the Dekalb paper,but I must have missed that article.

Thanks for the link.

I will have to go out to the airport and see if I can get a close up look see.(Drool Drool all over my shoes)

No prob on the link. I was nearly as excited as you were.

Hope that you do get to see the MiG up close. Keep us posted.

-Jeff

There is a privately owned MIG-21 out of the Brattleboro, VT Airport. He makes it to a few of the North East area airshows for static display.

Edited by MAKO69

Your very lucky... I've only seen a MiG-17... If only Russia would make it easier for people in the US to see their aircraft... God I'd love to see a MiG coming over my house...

Edited by Anthony W.

Your very lucky... I've only seen a MiG-17... If only Russia would make it easier for people in the US to see they're aircraft... God I'd love to see a MiG coming over my house...

Of course, I'd love to see a... Well... What US aircraft haven't I seen... An F-35 coming over.... That would be sweet...

If only Russia would make it easier for people in the US to see their aircraft...

Actually, it's very easy to see older Russian aircraft...they're cheap and plentiful to buy. Hell, there are a couple of privately owned MiG-29s out there...just not in a flyable state at the moment.

Owning or getting an older Russian jet isn't an issue...operating it is...ANY aircraft isn't cheap. Jet aircraft even more so...foreign jet aircraft even more than that. Though the L-39 is very popular...they've even had jet air races in them.

FC