Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Operation Pit Viper, or, yet another Dhimar/Paran Conflict

I'm starting to plan up a 1980-1981 conflict between Dhimar and Paran. It's going to be following a similar idea to the stock Operation Rattle Snake. I plan to include the F-4E ARN-101, F-4G, RF-4C and F-16A for the USAF perhaps an F-111 too.

Where the "I need ideas..." part comes in is here, with the community.

USN/USMC: Yes or No

What aircraft to give Dhimar and Paran.

USAF

F-15A

F-16A

F-4E/G

RF-4C

F-111

US ANG

F-4D/E

F-101

USN

Carrier Air Wing based around a carrier

Try this link: LINKY

USMC

Maybe a couple squadron

Dhimar

A-4E/F

F-4C

F-5A/C/E

Shenyang J-6

Chengdu F-7

Paran

MiG-19

MiG-21

MiG-23

MiG-25

Su-17

Tu-16s

And for s**ts and giggles why not some trainers.

Why not some mirage for Dhimar?

West-friendly arab countries of the cold war were good customers indeed. And even unfriendly ones.

Revised Dhimar

A-4E/F

F-5A/E

Mirage IIIE

Mirage F-1C

Shenyang F-6

Chengdu F-7

Hunter FGA.9

Revised Paran

MiG-19S (reservist)

MiG-21F-13 (reservist)

MiG-21MF

MiG-21bis

MiG-23MF

MiG-23MS

MiG-25P

Su-7BMK (reservist)

Su-20 (Su-17M)

Mirage 5D

Mirage III

Republic of Dohar

Background, after the 1969 turmoil in Dhimar, a the rebel province of Dohar broke away from the Kingdom of Dhimar, controlling a small oil field to, which funds their small airforce. It was widely suspected that Dohar is a pupet state of Paran, but is not confirmed. They have two airbases a small field base and the local Dohar airport.

MiG-17F (second hand from Paran)

MiG-19S (second hand from Paran)

Shenyang F-6

Su-7BMK

G.91 (bought from Portugal)

Super Mystere B.2

Edited by suhsjake

Instead of Dhimar being supported by the US, how about if it was a former British or French colony, and their forces were the ones called in to the fray.

For the Brits you could have Invincible with Harriers and Sea Harriers, and maybe RAF Jaguars in Desert Pink, while Dhimar flys Hunters, maybe upgrading to Hawks and possibly Tornados (the Saudi skin could be the base for a Dhimari one).

If it was a former French colony you could have a carrier with Crusaders and Super Etendards, land based Mirage IIIs and F1s in desert camo, and Dhimar could have Super Mysteres and Mirage IIIs, and maybe some Alphajets.

Another idea - would it be possible to make Paran friendly and Dhimar the enemy, equiping them accordingly? Then you could get a new perpective out of the map.

1981 was a good year for the USN, having CVN-68 and the CVW-8 birds (with the new MF Tomcat) in the area to deal with Paran as instead of Libya.

SFG/SFP1 as I don't own SF2, and I don't want to steal Ultramax's thunder for his Operation Desert Sheppard

Sweeet!

What do you think of the proposed OOB and ideas of the above posters? :smile:

I'm still thinking. A crazy thought went through my mind about all the US forces deployed flying F-4s :crazy:

Revised Dhimar

A-4E/F

F-5A/E

Mirage IIIE

Mirage F-1C

Shenyang F-6

Chengdu F-7

Hunter FGA.9

Revised Paran

MiG-19S (reservist)

MiG-21F-13 (reservist)

MiG-21MF

MiG-21bis

MiG-23MF

MiG-23MS

MiG-25P

Su-7BMK (reservist)

Su-20 (Su-17M)

Mirage 5D

Mirage III

Republic of Dohar

Background, after the 1969 turmoil in Dhimar, a the rebel province of Dohar broke away from the Kingdom of Dhimar, controlling a small oil field to, which funds their small airforce. It was widely suspected that Dohar is a pupet state of Paran, but is not confirmed. They have two airbases a small field base and the local Dohar airport.

MiG-17F (second hand from Paran)

MiG-19S (second hand from Paran)

Shenyang F-6

Su-7BMK

G.91 (bought from Portugal)

Super Mystere B.2

how some saudi tornados gr1 and EAF mirage 5DE and finaly US squadron of B-52G's

I think that MiG-25 is too important for soviets to export him in that little/medium size country like Paran.

Maybe just 2-4 examples of MIG-25R like in Egypt or Syria..

Su-17/20 like fighter/bomber is good choice and I like it idea with G.91 bought from Portugal :-) (but maybe for Dhimar or Dohar..).

It will be interesting to see Su-17/20 in fighter role.

Or for example mission with flight or two of MiG-21 or MiG-23 in foward CAP, Su-7 or -17/20 in strike and MiG-19 in close air defence of Su-7/17/20..

Can you try with smaller noumbers of units?

When I compose my campaigns I decrease number of all air units.

It's more realistic I think.

Edited by proleter

Operation Pit Viper is about to recieve a facelift. No longer will it be in the 1980s. I'm looking at 2010. I felt like going modern.

Paran just became Russia's best friend and is going to recieve the best weapons Russia has to offer. With a new regime, and new sense of purpose, Paran, assisted by Dohar, invades Dhimar, looking for a final victory.

Dhimar is struggling to recover from a period of arms reduction.

The USS Harry S. Truman happened to be in the area, and was quick to respond, following a plea for help from the Dhimari Prime Minister. On the flightdeck of the Truman are Super Hornets, and a new toy, the F/A-24 Shadowcat. The President of the United States, authorizes the forward deployment of an MEU, two Armored Divisions, and numerous squadrons from the Air Force.

The United Kingdom and France also offer support.

So, Order of Battle for Operation Pit Viper:

Dhimar:

Mirage 2000-5

Mirage 2000D

F-4E+ Phantom II (An F-4E equipt with CFTs on the fuseluage and upgraded avionics, new engines and countermeasures)

Paran:

MiG-29C

MiG-29M2

MiG-29SMT

MiG-29K

Su-27SK

Su-30MK

Su-35BM

Su-39

MiG-31

Dohar:

Su-30

MiG-29A

Su-17M5

J-10

MiG-27K

USN:

F/A-18E (WIP by FC, EricJ)

F/A-18F (WIP by FC, EricJ)

EA-18G (WIP by FC, EricJ)

F/A-24

USAF:

F-15C

F-15E

A-10

F-16C

F-22A (?)

B-1B (?) [WIP]

USMC:

F/A-18C/D (Still WIP by Mirage Factory, F/A-18A will be used as stand in until they are released)

AV-8B +

RAF:

Typhoon

Harrier Gr.9 (WIP? Released?)

France:

Rafale B

Mirage 2000N

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

+1 vote for the more modern scenario, as the previous early 80's sounded a lot like the Burning Sands '83 mod which used the F-15A, F-16A, F-111, A-10, can't remember if it had F-4's?, F-18A, F-14 and A-7 (from carriers). Plus the Reds had Mig-25's to go along with the 21's and others. It was really a good mod. There are a couple of "out there" elements to it, like the F-19 stealth and I got the occasional strike mission flying F-15A's, but I did the campaign a number of times flying different aircraft.

I'd give the theater another go with modern forces!

+1 vote for the more modern scenario, as the previous early 80's sounded a lot like the Burning Sands '83 mod which used the F-15A, F-16A, F-111, A-10, can't remember if it had F-4's?, F-18A, F-14 and A-7 (from carriers). Plus the Reds had Mig-25's to go along with the 21's and others. It was really a good mod. There are a couple of "out there" elements to it, like the F-19 stealth and I got the occasional strike mission flying F-15A's, but I did the campaign a number of times flying different aircraft.

I'd give the theater another go with modern forces!

I forgot to add some of the ones I didn't fly as: Harrier, Jaguar, Tornado.

Guest pfunkmusik

What I'd like to do once TK's sent up the first patch and created a Weapons Editor, is update the Burning Sands 1983 campaign for use in SF2.

But, failing that, I have a small campaign in the works that I will release after the first patch. It's set around the same time, but it's really simple.

The Americans have a smaller presence, limited to three land-based units and a carrier air group. The Dhimari Air Force has a bit more of a scruffy look, using Mirage IIIC's, F-104G's, F-5A's, and Hunter6's. The Parani Air Force is mostly stock with one unit of Foxbats added.

But it sounds like the OP's on the right track.

pfunk