Sign in to follow this  
hide86

Joining U.S. Navy as a foreigner

Hello everybody, I know there's lots of american soldiers here at CA, well I got a question for you:

is it possible for a foreign (in this case italian) student to apply for the AOC school in Pensacola?

I was considering the idea of enlisting to become a pilot for U.S. Navy, since I heard that Annapolis' Naval Academy has foreign students, but I don't really know that much about the AOC school and the path to apply for it. Furthermore, what's the maximum allowed age for AOC school (I'm currently 22, 23 next May)?

I know these may just be stupid questions, but I thank you all in advance for your patience!

Cheers!

Yes you can, many have done this. Look up Dieter Dengler a German born National came to the US became a USN Attack pilot. I had friend from Poland you never knew he was Polish he was 3 when he came to the States, enlisted in the Navy got his degree and citizenship, got a comission went to school and flew choppers in the USMC. Last I heard it was like 27 or 28 for the NAVY and the ARMY is like 32 or 34. To fly is a minimum of 8 years, or thats what it was when I was in.

Edited by MAKO69

If you are in Italy proper try talking to someone at NSA Naples (Napoli) there is also NAS Sigonella in Sicily. They should have the answers you need. As for foreign nationals one of our Air Dept officers was German, he said he was turned down by the Luftwaffe because his English wasn't good enough for them. Hope you are able to join the best Navy in the world.

This link might help a bit. I suggest e-mailing one of the officer recruiters to and indeed talk to some current officers to see if this is the route you really wish to take. Good luck!

http://www.navy.com/officer

Vamp

You need to obtain Resident Alien Status, and you can serve no more than seven (7) years without becoming a citizen.

EDIT: I noticed you were talking about being an officer, you need to be a citizen.

EDIT AGAIN : I noticed the information I was looking at was 9 years old, but though I am not 100% certain, I don't think that requirement would change.

Edited by Jeremiah Weed

This set my nerves tingling, for all of my childhood my ultimate dream was to become a USAF or USN fast jest pilot! Had worked out a plan aged 8 to hitch a ride to Scotland, get on a trawler and somehow live in the States long enough to become naturalized and get in that way! Yes I know, dumb ass kid I was I didn't do it.

So 26, too old? Meh the way my life turned out, I have a wonderful GF/Fiancee in all but ring, and she wouldn't be strong enough to make the adjustments to it but even though, my nerves are tingling.

Hide 86, sorry if I interjected your thread somewhat but just wanted to say, if you think you can make the commitment to that path, Dude! Do it and you will Rock!!!

If not, what's wrong with the Italian Air Force? Here in UK I am too old already :grandpa:

to enter AOC and get commissioned you have to be a US citizen (how you get there is not important) and 26 as of your expected graduation date from OCS.

AOCS as I understand it no longer exists. Its all through OCS at Newport now and those in the aviation track then go on to Pensacola already commissioned.

Foreign students at Anapolis are commisioned into their home country's navy. They are at the academy on an exchange basis as an active serving member of their own navy.

You are in Italy? Take a look at the Italian AF and Navy. They both have excellent programs (although I have no idea of how you apply there)

Good luck and see you around the pattern someday.

Well, I already applied for Italian Air Force Academy, I had my first pilot grade on SF-260 prop trainers but I was dismissed because of number redundancy (61 allowed, I was 62nd...), then the following year I tried again but despite being considered suitable, my maths degree at the military exam wasn't high enough...Now I'm out of the maximum allowed age for both regular AF pilots and Navy pilots, my only chance would be as a AUPC (AUPC course, complementary pilots), but they're not starting the selection again for funding problems (last government raped the Defence of much of its money, so they're putting top priority on vehicle updates and acquisitions rather than on personnel...).

I'll try and do some more research, maybe emailing the Navy directly. Thank you so much guys, CA is invaluable as always!

Edited by hide86

Kopis, if your 26 right now and still interested you have one shot at the Royal Navy. I failed the RAF aircrew medical last year but passed for the FAA... dont ask why their different as I honestly have no idea lol.. anyway unlike the RAF where the pilot cut off is 23 the navy accepts up to 26.

I'm currently 22, I'll be 23 next May! Thanks for the info, Fallenphoenix, I see we're the same age!

You know, I still don't understand why an Air Force would limit to 23 while a Naval Aviation (like FAA) would set 26, I just can't get it :D

Edited by hide86

Me either, makes no sense but it works for me lol.

Or that the FAA will allow corective lenses when the RAF wont, either way you could end up flying the same aircraft (Harrier Gr.7/9... F-35B) doing the same mission (CAS/Strike) and all that changes is your uniform... go figure.

Craig

Kopis, if your 26 right now and still interested you have one shot at the Royal Navy. I failed the RAF aircrew medical last year but passed for the FAA... dont ask why their different as I honestly have no idea lol.. anyway unlike the RAF where the pilot cut off is 23 the navy accepts up to 26.

Big Gulp! I only wish I had done something sooner in some ways, then again I'm now in the part of my life starting a family of my own, a teaching career and well it just wouldn't be the best time for another couple years at least. Never mind, I guess I can always go in for a civie flying career later on down the track.

I'm currently 22, I'll be 23 next May! Thanks for the info, Fallenphoenix, I see we're the same age!

You know, I still don't understand why an Air Force would limit to 23 while a Naval Aviation (like FAA) would set 26, I just can't get it :D

The cynical view of it i guess is that the Air Force don't want people applying, at least not unless they are already well switched on to it and committed from their teens. I wonder just how many pilots in the RAF started off in the cadets aged 13 up?

At least in our RAF, there just isn't enough positions for all those that would show an interest or aptitude, the chances of getting the top job in a fast mover if you're in the UK is pathetically slim. As far as the FAA having less stringent criteria, the only thing I could think is that perhaps less people would look into it.

So did you get in Fallenphoenix?

All the best with you Hide!

Not yet, by the time I was told I'd passed the FAA medical stanadards (by an RAF medical examiner) it was to late to apply for the Navy so I have to wait till this spring and start over from scratch. However the only thing holding me back was my eyes. Accademics, fitness, apptitude and attitude were all fine, had it not been for a slight defficiency in one eye I'd be most of the way through Cranwell by now, fingers crossed can make the cut this time :)

As you said there are fewer aplicants for the Navy, when I was at the AFCO for my P2 pressentation there were approximatly 20 applicants for the RAF of which around 11 were aiming for pilot, the Navy were conductiong their pressentation at the same time in a different room... to one person

Craig

Not yet, by the time I was told I'd passed the FAA medical stanadards (by an RAF medical examiner) it was to late to apply for the Navy so I have to wait till this spring and start over from scratch. However the only thing holding me back was my eyes. Accademics, fitness, apptitude and attitude were all fine, had it not been for a slight defficiency in one eye I'd be most of the way through Cranwell by now, fingers crossed can make the cut this time :)

As you said there are fewer aplicants for the Navy, when I was at the AFCO for my P2 pressentation there were approximatly 20 applicants for the RAF of which around 11 were aiming for pilot, the Navy were conductiong their pressentation at the same time in a different room... to one person

Craig

You watch how different it will be when (if?) we get the F-35B and a new carrier!

All the best to you mate!

I'd advise checking the nationality requirements for joining the RN/RAF, although pretty much anyone from the Commonwealth can join I think it's harder if your head of state isn't the Queen.

Reference the different entry standards for the RN and RAF it is literally a numbers game, the RAF are oversubscribed with people wanting to be pilots so they raised their medical requirements to make the selection process easier (for them!). The RN frequently have trouble filling places so can be more pragmatic about things, 26 is about as old as you want to be to start flying training as your ability to learn diminishes with age. We'll ignore the fact I started Basic Observer Course at 29....

Another point is that they're entry standards, the number of perfectly healthy people who suddenly need glasses the day after they start flying training would indicate some sort of link between light aircraft and eye problems.

Another thing to think about is, while it might be cool to go and fly some high speed advanced aircraft another nation has, you are now turning your back on your country, and swearing allegiance to another country where you will be asked to fight a war that might not be yours and could die doing just that.

Personally, that is just something I could not do.