Sign in to follow this  
Dagaith

Let's talk about tactics

Hi all,

I love WW1 flight sims, I've flown them since Red Baron (the original game). But my tactics haven't evolved since, I guess. I exclusevly use the good old turn fighting tactics. But I know that I should develop some new manouvres, especially with planes like SPAD or Pfalz, they are both very good aeroplanes, but they are not for usual turn fighting as it seems.

Someone please tell me, how should I learn the "energy fighting" method? I've seen some instructions for IL-2 game, but couldn't use them very well on WW1 planes.

And the second thing, I think it's linked with my turning tactics problem, is that I fail to shoot down 2-seaters. Getting on their 6 is easy, but usually I get shot down if I don't stay low (and I can't shoot from there very well).

So, tell how do YOU fly those fast and perhaps not so manouverable planes and shoot down those 2-seated devils. :)

Edited by Dagaith

Dagaith,

My favorite A/C is the SE5A (after replacing with Peter's FM/adjusting the Aldis sight, adding tracers, changing the parameters to start all single missions at a higher altitude, etc.); it took me a long time to become proficient with it. The two factors are utilizing superior speed and gunnery.

'You're' first inclination is to turn and burn with these (i.e.,WWI) aircraft. It takes practice to avoid this and break off after the first pass in order to gain speed for the resultant climb/climbing turn. If you're able to dive on the enemy formation you can use the speed; in campaign mode I never use the Autopilot and after take-off climb to altitude (9000' to 12000') before 'crossing the lines' (on Offensive Patrols).

Practice shooting/understanding shot placement until it's second nature; I use the standard sight picture until I'm close and then zoom-in (programmed on my Saitek X52) and take the shot. I'm a competitive shooter and we're taught to "call out shots" and you can use this technique in FE esp. with the sight Zoomed in. When you take a shot you should be able to tell where the bullets go the moment you pull the trigger.

Practice single missions and keep a log (don't laugh!); take notes after each mission and be as self-critical as possible. I've been doing this since I started 'flying' in the 80's and (for me) it really shortens the learning curve.

Two-seaters: get below and shoot up - never fight on the 'level' with them - if you can't - let it go and live to fly tomorrow!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

J. P. Kelly

1: Try to secure advantages before attacking. If possible keep the sun behind you.

2: Allways carry through an attack when you started it.

3: Fire only at close range and only when your opponent is properly in your sights.

4: Allways keep your eye on your opponent and never let yourself be deceived by ruses.

5: In any form of attack it is essential to assail your opponent from behind.

6: If your opponent dives on you, do not try to evade his onslaught but fly to meet him.

7: When over the enemy's line never forget your own line of retreat.

8: For the Squadron: Attack on principle in groups of four or six. When the fight breaks up into a series of single combats take care that several do not go for one opponent.

Energy fighting is quite complex and, i think, not as much appropriate for WW1 game as for a WW2 game in which speed is higher and maneuvrability lower.

I would say that aiming accuracy is way more important.

But anyway here are some easy principles of energy fighting you could apply to this game:

--If you have to turn, turn upward (semi looping). As much as you can, point to the sky in a turn fighitng.

--Never, NEVER, stop or reduce the throttle else you are sure you'll make the last killing burst and there is no other threat. An exceeding speed is never exceeding in the sense you can turn it into altitude, mking you total energy higher.

--If coming into opponent's six at very much speed, risking an overshoot, don't stop your throttle, you may prefer make a looping to convert your speed in altitude and keep at security level. AT the end of the looping you are gaining speed so aim at your ennemy and shoot a quick burst before redoing the maneuver and so on until ennemy dies, so your energy advantage keeps you totally safe during the whole fight.

--If you are faster and higher than a normal speed opponent, and he makes a diving spiral, do not turn into him. You will be above corner speed and he will be at corner speed, thus outturning you and making you waste your energy advantage.

Same to be applied to a higher and faster opponent in climbing turn.

You to the contrary, can apply those tactics to "sucker" your ennemy into your level and outturn him, making him loose his energy advantage.

There are much more thing to be said about energy fighting, but im not sure it's very useful for first eagles.

But i give you some personal opinions:

The Spad is just not the plane to be use in turning fights. If your are playing at high difficulty, an ennemy albatros would pwn you.

--Just use the plane's avantage to your favor: level and dive speed. So when you are not in fight, try to gain altitude as much as possible. When spotting an opponent, dive into him without cutting throttle, try a quick burst and when arriving at overshoot level, continue the slight dive while poiting to a opposite direction of your ennemy.

You will be at 300 km/h in other direction of the ennemy, so when hell be in postion you will be untouchable and to far away, actually no plane dives like a spad.

When enough far regain altitude and retry.

--With a lighter / more agile /more climbing aircraft, after the burst just enter in a loop or an hammerhead to regain altitude and safety as i said previously, instead of continuing the div, before renewing the attack.

You can PM me for more details on energy fighting , even though i think it's not necessary for FE. Also fighting techniques i gave above are not aplyable to ealry (Fokker Eindecker/pfalz E1../ morane saulnir) aircraft.

Also if this was not a game, i would say do not engage combat if you are not sure of winning by any advantage (altitude, speed, numbers or better aircraft) but it's just a game ;)

When the fight breaks up into a series of single combats take care that several do not go for one opponent.

I would say, to the contrary, to try focusing fire as much as possible , as opponents are killed faster this way. With equal level pilot/aircraft/numbers, focusing figher is the only way to win.

Edited by nixarass

There are much more thing to be said about energy fighting, but im not sure it's very useful for first eagles.

You are absolutely right here....

Energy fighting ... probably didn't play a part in WW1 (FE stock FM's are a bit too energy efficient IMHO)

most combats would seem to be turn fights, or more or less single passes... (but i don't think that high a speed....its all relative)

no Great war aircraft can really be termed a boom and zoomer, much to draggy and fragile IMHO... the wings just stayed on some airframes better then others :wink:

When the fight breaks up into a series of single combats take care that several do not go for one opponent.

I would say, to the contrary, to try focusing fire as much as possible , as opponents are killed faster this way. With equal level pilot/aircraft/numbers, focusing figher is the only way to win.

Well Oswald Boelcke thought differently :wink:

Sadly ironic that he was killed in just such a situation (collided with a Staffel mate, when both were attacking the same aircraft)

Edited by p10ppy

Salute,

from what I have seen in FE you ain't going to learn too much about energy fighting. RB3d modded to current flight models is where to go. I have flown less than 1 week with FE and I can out turn a D7 with a spad and that aint real.

energy is zoom and boom. You have to defend your height. If you are above...you dictate, thats as simple as it gets.

By that I don't mean just a few meters. Pick your target...drop on him, get your shot in (if you can) and pull up with a slow turn to keep HA in view. But.... every dive costs..that means energy, so every pass must count...or don't do it.

Remember..height is everything in a spad or its tits up and lights out (not in FE but else where).

If you can master zoom and boom then you can fly anything

Edited by lederhosen

Well Oswald Boelcke thought differently

Sadly ironic that he was killed in just such a situation (collided with a Staffel mate, when both were attacking the same aircraft)

Yes it's right, because when too much plane are on another 6, there are much risk of collision, ironically what happened to him.

I was just talking on a tactic level, but if the OP thinks the collision risk is not worthy, then to forget that comment.

One last thing:

--To disengage: Look and use the difference between you and your ennemy aircraft. If your in a lighter Ac (DR1) , climb; in a heavier (SPad) just dive; if your in an aircraft that is neither lighter nor faster (you in sopwith camel, your ennemy in fokker D7) just pray for god's mercy.

Edited by nixarass

Wow, thank you all for helpful recommendations, I shall try to put them into practice. Yet, it seems all those hints and tips can probably be summed up in a single word: discipline. It takes a lot of discipline to maintain one's height/speed advantage and not to fall into turning fight; only after that are the masterful tactics of any use.

Thanks again!