Sign in to follow this  
Big John

Cpu Question

Dumbest question you might come across. Here goes. What is the difference between a P4 and a celeron proccesor? and AMD? I was wondering if they will run games the same. As some games require P4 1.6MHz would a Celeron at 1.6Mhz run it, same with an AMD at the same speed? Thanks Big John

Oh well, as no one else has jumped in..

What is the difference between a P4 and a celeron proccesor?

Less cache & slower FSB - essentially a castrated P4.

and AMD?

Different manufacturer with a different processor design.

Similarly, AMD's Duron is an emasculated Athlon but not quite to the same extent as the Celeron from the P4.

I was wondering if they will run games the same.  As some games require P4 1.6MHz would a Celeron at 1.6Mhz run it, same with an AMD at the same speed

I very much doubt that a Celeron 1.6 will run it as well as a 1.6 P4 although it would probably run it.

When comparing between AMD & Intel you have to watch out because of the different processor architecture.

Tthe AMD design does more instructions per clock cycle than the Intel. As such an AMD cpu needs fewer clock cycles to perform the same operations as an Intel & consequently can run slower for the same performance.

So e.g. an Athlon running at 1.6GHz would outperform a P4 running at 1.6GHz.

Also, traditionally the different designs have had different strong points - AMD being better for pure calculation, gaming & office work whereas the P4 is better for multimedia creation/video editing etc.

That's a quick & dirty as there have been so many Athlon & Pentium revisions that it can get quite complicated comparing them.

Thanks for answering my questions. One last one, So a AMD system would run games faster than a P4?

Thanks again Buff

Big John

One last one, So a AMD system would run games faster than a P4? 

All other things being equal, an AMD system running at the same clockspeed as an Intel one should be faster. However, the max. clockspeed of a P4 is a lot higher than an Athlon so usually you aren't comparing systems of the same clockspeed.

Because of the different cpu revisions, chipsets etc. it is easier to deal in specific comparisons - if you have something in mind fire away.