Sign in to follow this  
MAKO69

Heated Debate the battle of the stars

Babbalon 5 is a bunch of babbaling.

I certainly do not think shes trash..!!!!...a skank maybe but not trash..lol...but atleast ahe was better acting than the boy who played anakin skywalker,

xx vanessa xx

(an i drool aswell over some people)

(no..that doesnt include you miggybuster..lol)

LOL, racindriver1, that was cold blooded, funny, but cold blooded. Anyone here remember "Space: Above and Beyond"? Those Hammerhead fighters were some of the coolest "space superiority fighters" i've seen yet!

EDIT: jeez, thats what I get for not reading the whole thread. Anyways, Star Wars is my favorite of the two, not really so much for the story, and certainly not the jedi, it's the WWII style dogfights, ominous capital ships, etc. I can honestly say that I like X-Wing alliance, TIE fighter, X-Wing games more then I ever liked the movies.

Star Trek, could never get into it. I don't see ANY navy, in space or otherwise, reverting to pre-20th century tactics (big capital ships lumbering at one another) with such advanced technology available.

My favorites of Sci-fi are as follows: Babylon 5 (the story just seems plausible, and there is actual physics involved in the battle scenes, god forbid)

Space: Above and Beyond (again, I could see it happening, and it's not so far into the future that its out of reach for my hopes of being cryo-frozen LOL)

Wing Commander (I love Wing Commander, even if the movie didn't do well criticly, I still LOVED it, nuff said)

Battlestar Glactica (I liked the old because it offered sci-fi with fighters, but the new is great. as mentioned bofore, it's a tad melodramatic, but the effects, characters, story is amazing.

Ok, now i'm done :smile: BTW, I had a choice of anything in Best Buy for X-mas with my girl by my side, and I chose Space: Above and Beyond. I got the whole series in one box, it's GREAT!

Edited by Sakai

Well, actually, Star Trek is more fantasy than Star Wars...

In Star Trek the techno-babble is mostly used as a stand-in for magic, they regularly find strange aliens and devices with weird powers (fighting evil wizards, meeting with gods), so many in some seasons that it seems the universe is full of god-like beings but only the wits of the Entreprise's crew can beat them.

Classic Star Trek (like Space 1999) always had that homeric tone to me, except that seeing Kirk as Odysseus is kind of disturbing...

Classic Star Wars on the other hand is more a cross between a western and war movie.

I don't know about Star Trek being more fantasy. I mean, sure you have alien beings with powers that are beyond humans, or what we understand, but how is that much different than The Force, or Jedi? Strange devices? What about lightsabers and hyperdrives? Space stations the size of small moons that can destroy planets? Seems at least as fanciful to me.

I admit that techno-babble is overused at times as a way to save the Enterprise. Also, it does seem a little odd that only her crew seems to be able to stop these many malevolent aliens - but let's face it, they are the main characters. It'd be a boring episode if the Big-E showed up to a planet with an angry super-alien, only to find that the crew of another starship had been there and taken care of things. "Captain's Log: I'm...not sure...what to do...for the next...forty minutes. Spock...can't...think of anything...either."

Oh, eraser, you can't keep Natalie Portman (yum) without the rest of those 3 lousy movies. It's against the rules. That's like me saying, "Oh, we'll only count the good episodes of Trek." (And before anyone is a smart-arse: yes, there were plenty of good ones.)

And as far as attractive ladies, Star Wars has Padme Amidala (yes, solid points for her) and a bikini-clad Princess Leia. Kirk had a new lady virtually every episode - many that were pretty hot in their day. Has Famke Janssen ever visited your starship and fallen for your older, bald, yet charming and sophisticated captain (Picard FTW)? Nope. Do Star Wars ship captains keep ladies on the bridge whose only purpose is to state the obvious and look good? Don't think so. I'd just like to say two words: Jadzia Dax. (Worf is the Man!)

Just sayin'.

hmmm maybe star trek..no start wars...no star trek next gen n voyager...but star wars return of jedi...maybe..HMMMMM..oohhh no its gotta be BUCK ROGERS...yay

xx v xx

Buck Rogers??? :blink::rolleyes:

STAR WARS ALL THE WAY, I aint no trecky :P haha Though i thought that starwars episode 2 wasnt all that good, the only good bit was the end when the war came along, the rest of the films, truley immense!

Star Wars 4-6 = all time classics for all

Star Wars 1-3 = no 3 was good - but the other 2 were just PANTS!!

Star Trek films = mostly good

Star Trek TV - Original and NG bearable - others = big no - The hologram doctor in Voyager seems to be the most charismatic of the entire crew!! - and if the future really is a communist utopian fantasy where dullards work only for the greater good then seeya!!

New Battlestar Gallactica = is the new King - very human, edge of seat gritty action

Red Dwarf = very funny in its day

Hyperdrive = didnt get it, didnt laugh either

Space: Above and Beyond = pretty good back then - havnt seen it for over 10 years though

I see no reason to pick one or the other, it's not like anything stops you from watching both.

My shelves are full of DVDs of ST (movies and TOS), SW (all the movies), B5 (all of it), Firefly (all the little that was made), Terminator (all 3), Predator, Alien (all but AvP2), and so on.

None are perfect, all have flaws. What I find humorous is people putting down franchise A for flaws 1-10 while not acknowledging that franchise B's flaws 11-20 are just as great. Ratings and box office returns are a gauge of how popular it was, but not how good.

In the end, it's about what you enjoy watching, and that's like music or books or any type of art...it's personal preference.

How could we forget the most enjoyable Star Trek inspired movie ?

Galaxy Quest !

By Grabthar's hammer, by the Sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged !

Edited by Gunrunner

How could we forget the most enjoyable Star Trek inspired movie ?

Galaxy Quest !

By Grabthar's hammer, by the Sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged !

That was Ace!!

Buck Rogers??? :blink::rolleyes:

Wilma, in that tight white uniform! :ok: but Star Trek all the way!

Enterprise, was a touchy thing. I didn't like the prequel idea because the writers had to be awfully careful of what had already been established. They often weren't, and that bugged me and a lot of others. But, I gave it a second chance and watched almost all four seasons and, on the whole, enjoyed them.

When watching it did you take into account that Star Trek: First Contact altered all Star Trek canon?

When watching it did you take into account that Star Trek: First Contact altered all Star Trek canon?

In what way?

Enterprise's final season was excellent. Too bad the earlier ones had already killed its ratings so it died.

Points for Natalie Portman...but trashing the Daleks? Did you watch the B&W version or the re-imaged versions in the current years...they fly, cant really tip over something that flies and they really couldnt make them fly in the 1960s since I think they had a 4 pounds, 3 shillings (or whatever) budget.

Go watch that damn robot dog again and tell me we were any better.

cheers

For the record, only the original trilogy counts as star wars. Except for Natalie Portman....yum (and I'm sure racindriver1 will think shes trash like all the other celebs we drool over here)

Never quite got what the appeal was of Dr. Who.....apparently I'm the only one who thinks Daleks are quite possibly the most comically non-threatening alien race ever. It's a fricken oversized garbage can, just tip the damn thing over and it won't be EXTERMINATE!!!ing anything.

does " V " count.?....i liked there little shuttle ship ...and i know its not spacy type flying things..but day of the triffids..with plants that licked your face n sent u blind.

but there seems alot of support on here for nat portman..maybe they should do her a spin off like star whores..lol.

and i will confess that on new years 2007 i did go to a party dressed as wilma from buck rodgers...it was cameltoe hell...lol

xx v xx

Star Wars...brilliant apart from that JarJar Binks thing (what were they thinking?).

I think its brilliant apart from anything from the new movies.

Star Trek is for me the no.2. No 1 is Galaxy Quest.

Where's Pluto Nash and Flash Gordon in this discussion? How can you ignore the best sci-fi out there? (sarcasm)

Edited by herman01

How could you get Best Sci-Fi and Pluto Nash in the same sentence without a negation ?

It's got Eddy Murphy ! It's got to be the absolut worst SF movie ever made... even Jar-Jar Binks seems a good idea if watching SW1 just after Pluto Nash...

Flash Gordon is another thing entirely, it's so kitsh it's brilliant and it's got a Queen soundtrack...

You, sir, have rather strange tastes...

Gordon's alive...!

I liked that Flash Gordon movie too. Apart from that scene where he does his quarterback thing and Dale Arden's going " Go Flash, Go Flash" that part makes me cringe.

i have to agree with whiteknight on one point. SW just always seemed childish and immature to me, even when i was a kid. i know its science fiction but all the good vs evil talk and the whole space cowboy style of the series seems like something you would find in every sf novel in the fifties. to me it's just not a believable material. and you have to admit, some of those aliens in the tatooine bar and jabba's lair really s*cked serious a$$ so you cant talk of any suspension of disbelief there. and i wont even say a word about those frakkin furry ewoks. always givin me the creeps. i tried to like SW universe, i really did, but when it comes down to it, it's a joke. 

on the other hand, imho ST (post-TOS), altough a bit dry at times, always had a much realistic sense for what is possible and what is not. the crew on enterprise, ds9 and voyager, eventho somewhat idealised, were sf characters you could find common ground with. but always there was this idea of bettering ourselves, not only through technology, but our ideals and actions, as individuals well as one human species. for me, ST always represented what we strived to become, and SW what we have been in the past, only wrapped up in shiny futuristic packaging. and unlike many others, i actually enjoyed every ST series, especially the voyager (first ST series I ever saw) and st enterprise (anyone who never saw season 3 episode 10 "Similitude", should do so right away. i mean it).

ST is just better. way better.

Star Trek is for me the no.2. No 1 is Galaxy Quest.

I was waiting for people to bring that up that was a great movie. I must say Ms. Weaver looked very cougerish too.

i have to agree with whiteknight on one point. SW just always seemed childish and immature to me, even when i was a kid. i know its science fiction but all the good vs evil talk and the whole space cowboy style of the series seems like something you would find in every sf novel in the fifties. to me it's just not a believable material. and you have to admit, some of those aliens in the tatooine bar and jabba's lair really s*cked serious a$ so you cant talk of any suspension of disbelief there. and i wont even say a word about those frakkin furry ewoks. always givin me the creeps. i tried to like SW universe, i really did, but when it comes down to it, it's a joke.

on the other hand, imho ST (post-TOS), altough a bit dry at times, always had a much realistic sense for what is possible and what is not. the crew on enterprise, ds9 and voyager, eventho somewhat idealised, were sf characters you could find common ground with. but always there was this idea of bettering ourselves, not only through technology, but our ideals and actions, as individuals well as one human species. for me, ST always represented what we strived to become, and SW what we have been in the past, only wrapped up in shiny futuristic packaging. and unlike many others, i actually enjoyed every ST series, especially the voyager (first ST series I ever saw) and st enterprise (anyone who never saw season 3 episode 10 "Similitude", should do so right away. i mean it).

ST is just better. way better.

Of course Star Wars are not good sci-fi movies, because they are not sci-fi movies at all. They are just epic action movies, closer to Lord of the rings. Tis is probably why I like them (at least the first 3).