Sign in to follow this  
ONETINSOLDIER

a request and a couple thoughts too

The A7 had what some would call "minor issues" with the engines they were fitted with. If he were here today, I think Dennis would classify those issues as more than minor.

On March 22, it will be thirty seven years since Lt. Dennis Pike ejected into the early morning sky over Laos, confident in the fact that he WOULD NOT BE LEFT BEHIND.

The "Golden Dragons" VA-192, were tasked with a mission in "OSCAR-8" which encompassed a major hiway junction and supply/transportation area of the NVA 559th division on the Ho-Chi Mihn trail which was heavily fortified with AAA, not only on the hillsides, but in platforms in the trees as well.

Apparently they were called away from the primary target to assist friendly forces that were being overrun when his A7 SLUFF took a crap on him at a most inappropriate time.

"We were on a mission just south of the DMZ," remembers Taylor, (his wingman) Government

forces were being overrun by the Viet Cong, and a T-28 with an American

pilot and Vietnamese observer also went down. We were on target about forty

minutes and finally had to leave. I watched Pike disappear on the way out,

and that scene, those ten or fifteen seconds, are embedded in my mind, lived

over and over. I was about a mile-and-a-half behind him, saw the smoke come

out of his tailpipe and called him up asking if there were any problems. He

replied, 'Yeah, I've got some oil pressure problems.' We were only about

twenty miles inside of Laos, and I told him to take a heading toward Da

Nang. He rolled out and made the turn from southwest all the way around to

the east at five thousand feet. I told him, 'If you pass three thousand feet

and don't have anything left, then [get] out.' He replied, 'Roger that,'

followed by an 'Uh oh, there goes the engine. Well, see you guys later.'"

Pike indicated that he had to eject.

****GWAR CLIMBS UP ON HIS SOAP BOX AND RAGES AGAINST THE MACHINE****

As I said earlier, it seems Lt. Pike was confident that he would, in fact, see his buddies later on, and I am sure SAR and the jolley green giants did their best to find him, but its been 37 freakin years,YOU BEAUROCHRATIC PUKES!! DO SOMETHING!! testimony has been given by a defected polish general that hundreds were still being held captive to this day. That very testimony was swept under the rug by a man that luckily didnt become our commander in chief.

YEAH, YOU READ THAT CORRECTLY

****GWAR CLIMBS BACK DOWN****

(Sorry,guys, I had to get that off my chest) This is not in any way a political thing, ITS A MORAL THING, so please dont take it there or Ill have Dave kill this quicker than poop thru a goose. To get to the point, lol, Im wondering if anyone would like to assist me in making a mission with the parameters involved below.

152200N 1073400E (YC755030) are the coordinates

ok, obviously they departed from yankee station, they were 20 miles inside of Laos, just south of the DMZ, he rolled out from SW to E heading for Da Nang and was last seen at the above coordinates.Seems easy enough, right? The maps below are from govt records.

post-31664-1233657438_thumb.jpg

post-31664-1233657460_thumb.jpg

post-31664-1233657473_thumb.jpg

gwar - I'll see what I can do for you w.r.t creating a mission to replicate this event. After all, Lt Pike's wingman has the same surname as me.

I've got the details of where he went down, in context with a wide-scale map of the Vietnam/Laos border, so will give it a go and let you know shortly.

Do you want me to do the whole thing, or just provide the skeleton mission for you to tune? (I assume you will be running it on WOV)

Regards, comrpnt.

Thank you for your offer and your response, it would be great to fly this mission, although the outcome is a grim one. I just got everything back online after my bi yearly windows reinstall and , either way youd like to contribute is fine, but i will be honest, im no modder lol. I guess I could give that mission editor a go,

anyways, this would be cool, as the anniversary is coming up.

Thank you for your offer and your response, it would be great to fly this mission, although the outcome is a grim one. I just got everything back online after my bi yearly windows reinstall and , either way youd like to contribute is fine, but i will be honest, im no modder lol. I guess I could give that mission editor a go,

anyways, this would be cool, as the anniversary is coming up.

Hi gwar, sure no problem for me to complete this myself and get it ready to publish - it'll be a worthy edition to my Historical Mission series. Should take me a couple of days to code it up and get it ready for release. Will be in touch via PM with a Beta for you to test.

Cheers, regards, comrpnt.

The A7 had what some would call "minor issues" with the engines they were fitted with. If he were here today, I think Dennis would classify those issues as more than minor.

On March 22, it will be thirty seven years since Lt. Dennis Pike ejected into the early morning sky over Laos, confident in the fact that he WOULD NOT BE LEFT BEHIND.

The "Golden Dragons" VA-192, were tasked with a mission in "OSCAR-8" which encompassed a major hiway junction and supply/transportation area of the NVA 559th division on the Ho-Chi Mihn trail which was heavily fortified with AAA, not only on the hillsides, but in platforms in the trees as well.

Apparently they were called away from the primary target to assist friendly forces that were being overrun when his A7 SLUFF took a crap on him at a most inappropriate time.

"We were on a mission just south of the DMZ," remembers Taylor, (his wingman) Government

forces were being overrun by the Viet Cong, and a T-28 with an American

pilot and Vietnamese observer also went down. We were on target about forty

minutes and finally had to leave. I watched Pike disappear on the way out,

and that scene, those ten or fifteen seconds, are embedded in my mind, lived

over and over. I was about a mile-and-a-half behind him, saw the smoke come

out of his tailpipe and called him up asking if there were any problems. He

replied, 'Yeah, I've got some oil pressure problems.' We were only about

twenty miles inside of Laos, and I told him to take a heading toward Da

Nang. He rolled out and made the turn from southwest all the way around to

the east at five thousand feet. I told him, 'If you pass three thousand feet

and don't have anything left, then [get] out.' He replied, 'Roger that,'

followed by an 'Uh oh, there goes the engine. Well, see you guys later.'"

Pike indicated that he had to eject.

****GWAR CLIMBS UP ON HIS SOAP BOX AND RAGES AGAINST THE MACHINE****

As I said earlier, it seems Lt. Pike was confident that he would, in fact, see his buddies later on, and I am sure SAR and the jolley green giants did their best to find him, but its been 37 freakin years,YOU BEAUROCHRATIC PUKES!! DO SOMETHING!! testimony has been given by a defected polish general that hundreds were still being held captive to this day. That very testimony was swept under the rug by a man that luckily didnt become our commander in chief.

YEAH, YOU READ THAT CORRECTLY

****GWAR CLIMBS BACK DOWN****

(Sorry,guys, I had to get that off my chest) This is not in any way a political thing, ITS A MORAL THING, so please dont take it there or Ill have Dave kill this quicker than poop thru a goose. To get to the point, lol, Im wondering if anyone would like to assist me in making a mission with the parameters involved below.

152200N 1073400E (YC755030) are the coordinates

ok, obviously they departed from yankee station, they were 20 miles inside of Laos, just south of the DMZ, he rolled out from SW to E heading for Da Nang and was last seen at the above coordinates.Seems easy enough, right? The maps below are from govt records.

post-31664-1233657438_thumb.jpg

post-31664-1233657460_thumb.jpg

post-31664-1233657473_thumb.jpg

GWAR, I'm with you on your soapbox. Left far too many unaccounted for in that distant land a long time ago. Not far enough nor too long ago to forget!

Gwar, here are some WIP screen shots for you. The real mission was at night but for testing purposes I need daylight to see what's going on. When this goes 'live' it will be at night:

DSPbanner.jpg

img000031024x768-1.jpg

img000051024x768-3.jpg

img000061024x768-4.jpg

img000071024x768-4.jpg

img000081024x768-4.jpg

img000091024x768-4.jpg

img000111024x768-2.jpg

img000121024x768-3.jpg

img000131024x768-4.jpg

img000141024x768-3.jpg

img000151024x768-2.jpg

img000171024x768.jpg

img000181024x768-2.jpg

img000191024x768-1.jpg

img000201024x768-1.jpg

img000211024x768-2.jpg

Almost ready to publish - probably go 'live' here at CA this weekend.

Cheers, regards, comrpnt.

Id like to once again thank comrpnt, and point out how freakin cool he is.

oh yeah, lol

BUMP

Please, everyone download this and fly one for Dennis, thanx *EDIT* note the time of the first post and the time on this post (if this edit doesnt change it) FREAKY, huh?

Edited by gwar