Sign in to follow this  
Thog10

EA-6B landing in Wilmington, NC?

So, five minutes ago I was walking with my wife along my street in Wilmington, NC. Along our walk I had seen a number of civil aircraft on approach into ILM (Wilmington's airport). I could be wrong, but the last aircraft we saw looked to be an EA-6B. It was at about 1,000-2,000 feet. It's landing gear was down. I could make out the two-row canopy and the bulge in the tail. Again, I am no expert, but I am fairly certain that I just saw a Prowler.

So, what in the world is a Prowler doing landing in Wilmington? I occasionally have seen MV-22's, C-130's, and AV-8B's from MCAS Cherry Point over Wilmington, but none of them have ever shown the slightest interest in landing.

One of those occasions when I wished that I always carried my camera with me...

airwing workups preparing for deployment,

or cross country training

EA-6Bs can show up any where. I've seen them in Tennessee and the Eastern Sierra Nevada.

Work ups, red flag like stuff, returning home from a cruise or a det, or "E" Any reasonable explanation that could possibly occur in Naval Aviation. Was it loud? Well Doggies! I've seen

EC-121s taking off at LAX, Argentinian Scooters flying at plant 42, P-3 Orions at just about every major commercial airport I've been at. I have also been waken up by a flight of Navy SH-3H Sea Kings flying as low as legal over my desert home way off the military VFR corridor to the west way beyond when I thought they were retired.

:ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

Saw a few of them over Morehead City, back in January of last year.

Any good restaurants nearby? Always a good excuse to take a trip somewhere.

Weve got all kinds of military stuff flying in and out of Republic airport long Island. I've seen C-130s, harriers, A-10s, A-6s F-14s. Weve had an F-16 crash land here too.

Any good restaurants nearby? Always a good excuse to take a trip somewhere.

Floyd's 1921 in MHC. It's located on Bridges Street, behind the Trade Wilco on Rt.70/Arendel Street. http://www.floyds1921nc.com/

All four Marine EA-6B squadrons are based at MCAS Cherry Point. Along with that VAQ-209, the Naval Reseve EA-6B squadron, is based at NAF Washington (aka AFB Andrews). So any of those units could of used Wilmington airport for training purposes. Heck I have know aircrew to plan a cross country flight just so they can grab lunch at a resturant either at a certain base club or a certain resturant out in town, simply because they cook something that is to die for.

All four Marine EA-6B squadrons are based at MCAS Cherry Point. Along with that VAQ-209, the Naval Reseve EA-6B squadron, is based at NAF Washington (aka AFB Andrews). So any of those units could of used Wilmington airport for training purposes. Heck I have know aircrew to plan a cross country flight just so they can grab lunch at a resturant either at a certain base club or a certain resturant out in town, simply because they cook something that is to die for.

Lol! dude are you serious, that is wild, but hey work hard play hard.

A few days ago I saw a Prowler from I guess VAQ-209 do a low break over my brother's house with gear down, to be honest I got

step07.jpg

"Lol! dude are you serious"

oh yes!

:butcher:

after all, if we have to go on a cross country hop anyway to fill out the training matrix - might as well go someplace kewl

"Lol! dude are you serious"

oh yes!

:butcher:

after all, if we have to go on a cross country hop anyway to fill out the training matrix - might as well go someplace kewl

What the man said! If you have to go somewhere off station anyway...

FC