Sign in to follow this  

Since we're a bit on the short side of freeware naval combatants (and cargo/oilers/other aux craft), I've been going over all my installs to find those types of ships and to see if they can be 'adapted' (ie: meaning creatng a faux version) for post-WW2 usage...

(meaning I'm getting damn tired of used the stock Sumner for all destroyers/frigates...)

So, going though and locating the following items:

KriegDestroyer (maybe Geo???)

KriegCruiser

KriegFlakDestroyer

all from Edward's EAW WW2 Eruo map

Anyone know who created them??? With a little repainting, and squinting at ... they might be used to stand in for USN ships of the 50s & 60s (like the cruiser standing in for the later 8in gun types -class name escapes me now)

thanks!

Wrench

kevin stein

Wrench,

Aren't those Geo's (as you surmised)?

Whenever I get around to painting my Des Moines (all that's left to do, basically), you'll have something more for the 50's-60's USN.

Pretty sure they are, too. No big deal. Just wondering.

Hinch, you ARE our Naval Archecetic (sp??)!!!! Wanted to have something other than the 'usual suspects' docked at Corpus Christi....

...to say nothing of WW2 WesPac...and Korea...and SEA...and....and...and....and.... :rofl:

Note to self ... drop colmak a note about the Omahas....keep forgetting!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Wrench,

Found faux California/Tennessee........... made a few tweaks................. and she/they should be off to you very shortly. Two weeks!

Joke.

Which ships in particular are you looking for? I'm not busy ATM (cuz I'm not working on my YF-19 still :rolleyes: ) and I've got a thing for Navy ships anyway. I'm sure they wouldn't have to be very high poly and source material is pretty plentiful. I'm just not sure on the coding, never really looked into ships.

Well....some Fletcher class DDs would be nice! or a Fubuki...

Of course, we (meaning I) will take damn near anything!!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Wrench

kevin stein

there are a fair number of WWII and post-WWII surface combattants from several countries.

How about a Atlanta Class AA cruiser?? I got several detail drawings of that

How about a Atlanta Class AA cruiser?? I got several detail drawings of that

an outstanding ship. I wonder how many of the turrets could be made to be active. That would really smoke an air attack!

Wrench

kevin stein

I'll try a Fletcher, maybe even make the model modular enough I can do variants for different eras.

an outstanding ship. I wonder how many of the turrets could be made to be active. That would really smoke an air attack!

Well, technically all of the turrets can be made to work............. at least revolve and pitch their guns, but I've found, for some reason, that the forward facing turrets seem to respond better when faced with a threat. Rear facing turrets only occasionally seem to want to open up. Something to do with the DetectSystem's FOV perhaps? I haven't worked it out. TW games and naval gunnery is a fairly basic relationship.

Hey Wrench, 2 weeks. :smile:

gallery_10543_38_459360.png

Yeah I lied about the "low poly". I seriously had way too much fun modeling this. Still debating putting the Oerlikons on, she's already spewing a lot of AA. I've got 19 guns on her now. Anyone know any sources on the official firing arcs for the Fletchers? I've just made them up for now. Spent all day playing with the .ini and I still am having trouble getting the muzzle flashes to show up at the right spot. They were working fine till I played with the firing arcs, now most of them are underwater. Figure its something I missed. Oh, and does anyone know the realistic engagement altitude for 5" guns and 40mm Bofors? They're set at 8000' right now.

Looking good!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Well, technically all of the turrets can be made to work............. at least revolve and pitch their guns, but I've found, for some reason, that the forward facing turrets seem to respond better when faced with a threat. Rear facing turrets only occasionally seem to want to open up. Something to do with the DetectSystem's FOV perhaps? I haven't worked it out. TW games and naval gunnery is a fairly basic relationship.

on some ships, several turrets will move but only one will fire. So there is something odd in there.

as I learn more about the ship ini modelling, I may be able to figure some of that out.

"Oh, and does anyone know the realistic engagement altitude for 5" guns and 40mm Bofors? They're set at 8000' right now. "

its been awhile since I came ashore - but I recall it being 15k yards (meters) for the 5". A lot less for the 40mm, I'd hazard a guess at 8k meters.

Edited by Typhoid

Hey Wrench, 2 weeks. :smile:

gallery_10543_38_459360.png

Yeah I lied about the "low poly". I seriously had way too much fun modeling this. Still debating putting the Oerlikons on, she's already spewing a lot of AA. I've got 19 guns on her now. Anyone know any sources on the official firing arcs for the Fletchers? I've just made them up for now. Spent all day playing with the .ini and I still am having trouble getting the muzzle flashes to show up at the right spot. They were working fine till I played with the firing arcs, now most of them are underwater. Figure its something I missed. Oh, and does anyone know the realistic engagement altitude for 5" guns and 40mm Bofors? They're set at 8000' right now.

Nice work on the Fletcher. I shouldn't worry too much about firing arcs and engagement ranges, as long as they aren't ridiculous. Naval gunnery in TW games is at best dubious. As for gun flashes, I believe that after some point (arcs), things go haywire......... so you might want to return to whatever worked. Having a lot of useful AA is pretty much all you can ask for.

Edited by Hinchinbrooke

Okay, I've got most of the problems worked out. Figured out I had to leave the forward turrets all facing 0 degrees in Max and set the default angle and firing arcs in the .ini file. Now they track and fire and the firing effects work for the most part. Occasionally an effect goes out of whack on one of the quads but its okay. Still can't get the rear turrets to work although I believe that's a known problem. Seems you can't have them face 0 degrees in Max and set them to default 180 degrees in the .ini, they just end up backwards. And setting them to 180 degrees in Max results in them not engaging anything from what I see.

Since the 5" guns don't seem to use AA artillery (they did in reality correct?) I set them to AIR_AND_GROUND so they can be of some use. But when I put another DD classified as friendly not too far away I ended up with this...

gallery_10543_38_3703.png

Seems to me that's pretty far short of the intended range. Is there a reason the guns don't elevate to compensate for range?

Finally, I'm wondering just how high to set the RangeFinder and BallisticComputer values. They're at 8 and 6 at the moment. The 40mm take down an F-100D once in a while but only when its in close, although I'm sure taking down a jet fighter should be a bit of a strain for a WWII AA defense.

Oh, and what does IndependentSearchChance do?

Bloody hell. The model is done, the .ini is done, all I need to do is UVW Unwrap and texture it. I'd have been completely done by now but Max keeps crashing whenever I try to do the UVW Unwrapping. Not sure if I'm running out of memory or what but I may have to find some way to break down the mapping. I'd really like to have it all on one bitmap but I'm not sure of how to do that other than select everything at once and UVW Unwrap everything at the same time.

Grinch is this what you are looking for

5-inch (127mm)/38 cal MK 12 Gun

Maximum range 18,200 yds (16,642m) at 45 degree elevation

ceiling 37,200 ft (11,339m) at 85 degree elevation

elevation -15 to +85 degrees

muzzle velocity 2600 ft (792m) per second

rate of fire 15 per minute

40mm Bofors MK 1/2 Cannon

Maximum range 11,000 yds (10,058m)

ceiling 22,800 ft (6949m)

elevation -15 to +90 degrees

muzzle velocity 2850 ft (881m) per second

rate of fire 160 per minute

20mm Oerlikon Mk4 Cannon

Maximum range 4800 yds (4389m)

ceiling 10,000 ft (3048m)

elevation -5 to +87 degrees

muzzle velocity 2740 ft (835m) per second

rate of fire 450 per minute

don't have arc's, will see what I can find

Edited by Ghost029

Thanks for the info. I think I've got good arcs set up now. I'll have to fudge the rear 40mm to not be yaw limited so it actually does something.

Got Max to work well enough to set up the UVW's so I'm slowly texturing my way through. Will probably include a simple paintkit for those who don't want their Fletcher's in Measure 22.

Edited by GrinchWSLG

Few final questions if anybody feels like answering before I upload this.

How to make two guns alternate fire? I'm clueless, I want the 40mm's to do it but I don't know how.

How to make the guns elevate to compensate for range against ground targets? My guess is its impossible, but I would think the same sort of ballistic computations to hit aircraft could work here.

EDIT: Submitted.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=8283

gallery_10543_38_406686.jpg

Edited by GrinchWSLG

I have low Polys the BISMARK

e19d4fc780122c01fc055633be84afefo.jpg

Or the Japanese aircraft carrier Shinano ...

To use type in a campaign WW-2 with your aircraft WRENCH...

6d946b637ede82310e5846fddcbbbb57o.jpg

Also I am working in my spare time in a

carrier class submarine I-400.

Of the Japanese Navy

submarino_clase_i400.jpg

39335072016f0b8fbac20bf9231238b2o.jpg

I have low Polys the BISMARK

e19d4fc780122c01fc055633be84afefo.jpg

Or the Japanese aircraft carrier Shinano ...

To use type in a campaign WW-2 with your aircraft WRENCH...

6d946b637ede82310e5846fddcbbbb57o.jpg

Also I am working in my spare time in a

carrier class submarine I-400.

Of the Japanese Navy

submarino_clase_i400.jpg

39335072016f0b8fbac20bf9231238b2o.jpg

Well, your best bet is to remove all the unneeded polys for underwater. No one will notice the remains of the hull. Go from there.

I think you are absolutely right, let me say that in the forum in Spanish We are admirers of his work with the boats.

You are the master for many of us novice sailors.

Gracias

It would be great to get the part in the forum in Spanish with some assistance.

Since we're working on some models you made.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...35781&st=40

Edited by suicidal

HOLY Mackeral!!!

That Shinano would be good for any late-ww2 scenario...

all we need is a Serian, and you can try to bomb the Mira Flores or Gatun locks (whenever I get the panama map done)

Wrench

kevin stein