Sign in to follow this  
Bleddyn

New pilot, add on plane question

Hello all, recently discovered FE and enjoying it alot. My first 3 PC games were Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain, Red Baron and Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe (with a whole lot of IL-2 etc since)... so I have been sim-flying for quite awhile. I haven't really WW1 simmed since RB and RB3D and the butt-pucker factor when getting into an early 1918 furball with 30+ planes for the first time in First Eagles was amazing!

This is THE sim I have been looking for since Red Baron got too old :clapping: (WW1 has always been my main interest in aviation)

I do have a question regarding add ons. I have for the most part been able to get everything working fine, editing files to get bombs working, even edited the cockpit ini for the Snipe to see down the scope better, so I am not a complete idiot lol.

My problem is, with some planes I can't get enough speed to take off. With the Gotha, even with no load I can just get it off the ground and barely keep it up in the air. With no load AI looks like they are driving the Kaiser Wilhelm Rally! They never get up. With the Farman MF7 with full throttle I don't move an inch.

Can anyone by chance point me to what I am doing wrong? Other then these couple of big planes the rest I am having no problem with, and man is it fun. :ok:

Edited by Bleddyn

Hi Bleddyn.

The basic problem with the Gotha and any other planes that won't take off, or handle properly, relates to the various game changes that have been implemented with each successive official patch.

Both those a/c you mention were add-ons for the very earliest version of the game. Unfortunately, the creators of those and many other add-on planes have never updated the FM's to the latest game standard. Therefore, a lot of them are all but unflyable now.

Don't despair though, there's always the chance that our resident FM expert, Peter01 will continue his sterling work, updating and vastly improving many of those early add-on plane flight models.

Regards.

Bucky

ANd this is why I pretty much have my games set to Start near target. Getting some of the planes I want in game just will not work well from take off. So I have them all air start. Makes some of the planes able to be in the game at least. I love having mass amounts of Gotha planes on raids and such.

And also welcome to FE and CA as well. :good:

Thanks for the replies :)

Hopefully someone with the skill will take it up and get these birds flying right. I have been doing the start near target or air start, but I do prefer being able to do the whole circuit on my missions, takeoff to landing.

Anyways, thanks again for the imput and happy flying!

I would like to try this Gotha, but have not found it in the downloads. Can someone supply a link?

Thanks

The Gotha and the Staaken are both part of the First battle of Britain project. There are beta versions with updated cockpits, bombsights, loadouts and FMs. Both are flyable by player and AI and they do take off. Landings are as tricky as they were in 1917-18. The project is not yet ready for release (and won't be for some time) but given enough interest it may be possible to get beta version up soon.

sinbad

post-6006-1234186856_thumb.jpg

post-6006-1234186893_thumb.jpg

post-6006-1234186916_thumb.jpg

post-6006-1234186939_thumb.jpg

That sounds awesome Sinbad. Looking forward to it. Since alot of raids on London were carried out by Zeppelin, any chance you will be getting Hinchinbrooke's model going on this too?