Sign in to follow this  
SGCSG1

Joystick suggestions for newbie?

I was a pretty big flight-sim buff back in the 90's in the glory days. Red Baron, AOTP, etc. I'm trying to get back into it and am looking for joystick recommendations. CH is too pricey for me these days. I was thinking of maybe the AV8R, or one of the Saitek stick/throttle combo's.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

I have the AV8R. Great all around stick good for jets, props, multi engine, and helo's. I recommend it.

I was a pretty big flight-sim buff back in the 90's in the glory days. Red Baron, AOTP, etc. I'm trying to get back into it and am looking for joystick recommendations. CH is too pricey for me these days. I was thinking of maybe the AV8R, or one of the Saitek stick/throttle combo's.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

I use Logitech ATTACK 3 usb, got it for $10 U.S not a single problem 11 programable buttons a trigger and a thrust wheel :biggrin:

I, too, use the Logitech Attack 3. It is cheap, and I prefer it to most of the others that I have tried. I hope to upgrade to a CH joystick at somepoint, but the Attack 3 works for now.

I just bought the Saitek AV8R as a replacement for a Saitek Evo which I loved, would have bought another if I could have found it. I like the base of the AV8R better, but the stick of the Evo was much nicer. Some people will tell you an x52 but there is no need and the feel is all wrong for WW1 sims IMO.

Very much people only swear by Saitek. And even if Saitek joysticks are in the best, i think you can find good one at lower prices.

The most important things to look for are:

-a good ergonomy

-an eye candy looking ;) (it's a buying argument for me :smile: )

-A SPINNING AXIS!! or rudder axis on it, a Z-rotation to control rudder if you don't have pedals.

The third axis is the most important thingy imo as accurate shooting is much easier.

I personnally use a Thrustmaster TOPGUN FOX 2 pro usb with the Thrustmapper joystick profiler and i'm quite happy: nice looking, the 3 control axis, enough buttons but not too much, not hand tiring, modifiable stick resist...and quite reliable as it resist all chokes and bad treatments it took for years.

Edited by nixarass

I've always been fond of my logictech wingman extreme digital Sticks

I've ordered a Saitek X52 pro stick and throttle.

If I really like First Eagles maybe I'll get the Saitek pedals as well.

Too bad no one makes Mech sims anymore. They were awesome with full HOTAS.