Sign in to follow this  
MAKO69

Wild Fires in Australia

84 people killed so far. News reports from AU state that some people were burned alive while trying to fle in their cars. Wild fires are so unpredictable compared to a structure/building fire.

yep a family of 6 in one car - sad news - think its the worst ever they say in Aus

though they are having record high temperatures

Its the opposite over here!

Yeah, it's pretty awful stuff, much worse than the Ash Wednesday Fires that raged across Victoria and South Australia practically encircled my hometown in '83. In Vic, towns like Kinglake and Marysville have for all intents and purposes, been wiped out. At the moment, 26 bushfires are burning through Vic alone and 12 of those are uncontained. The worst thing is that some of these fires are deliberate.

Thing is, it's the conditions are perfect for a disastrous fire. We've had El Nino weather patterns (high, dry temps, little or no rain) in the South and South East for the better part of the last few years. It's truly horrible!

Update

The bodycount now is at 130 people and according to sources, could rise up to 230 and so far, more than 750 homes have been destroyed. In Bendigo, a cigarette butt has been blamed for the loss of 50 homes.

Bushfire experts told news.com.au that blazes with a danger rating of 100 are considered uncontrollable. Saturday's fire had a rating of 400.

When Greece burnt a couple of years ago, we sent hidros to counter it. The trouble is how hard

and how long would it take for a friendly and firefighting-able country to deploy canadairs in Australia,

but there should be something done about this.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by these fires. Saw the news reports yeaterday, looks nasty.

Obviously with me living in australia, ive have seen news reports of this every day. Some shocking stuff, and i wish i could be down there to help people rebuild there homes.

Just an update now for anyone who is interested, firefighters an rescue services are now able to take a breather because the heatwave is finnaly coming to an end, so this should soon bring an end to the last of the fires out there. Im sure you will all join me in saying RIP to all who have died, and well done to all the rescue services who have helped in australia's time of need.