Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

Flight of the Intruder

Just watched Flight of the Intruder for the first time! This film is amazing!! Really enjoyed it! But there's a thing that make me wonder, how you bomb the enemy when using TK sims? Our A6 have no bombing by radar system, I don't know If the film displayed in the film is realistic, but is not possible to add a sistem that let you bomb while in level flight even during bad weather?

Also is possible to add a copilot somehow?

P.S. Anyone more enjoyed the film?

Yeah loved the film since 1991 - even had the flight sim back then too

The Bombing system portrayed is fairly accurate - was called DIANE - look it up

I did a temporary CCIP for the TW A-6 a while back for level bombing - its in the cockpits section

Yeah I saw it back in the 90's and have a copy that gets played regular also had the game... on the Amiga if I remember rightly... and the bombing system in the film is correct... as to adding it to TK I wouldnt know... Love flying the A-6 in WOE especially with a winder stashed away on a pylon... good for surprising the odd mig...

Hey if you liked the film, you'll love the book! Stephen Coonts flew in the A-6 so he knew what he was writting about. Best aviation novel I ever read.

Stephen Coonts is, indeed, a good writer.

He even did a non-fiction a few years back about an aerial odyssey across the US in a bi-plane, "The Cannibal Queen." Very good read, but I've read pretty

much all his releases and feel the same about most...

:good:

Hey if you liked the film, you'll love the book! Stephen Coonts flew in the A-6 so he knew what he was writting about. Best aviation novel I ever read.
He has done a few books all were very good as well as Dale Brown

One of my all time favorite movies and books.

Many people have asked about DIANE in TW sims, and the answer is no, it can't really be done. Mig Buster's CCIP add-on is the closest thing you'll find. I've also found that you can use references on the Bombsight glass and/or cockpit to figure out the correct release points for various altitudes/speeds. Then you can forget about your troubles, forget about your cares, and go...

...DOWNTOWN!!!

i actually liked the book better then the movie, and picked up a few more from Coonts after reading it. they were all great reads.

Yesterday i was about to see the movie again, but i had to stand for

the show before it( :crazy: ), and then all the advertisements... the wrong dubbing..

Well, i got the DVD, set it "English". When dad came my room, he was seeing it on TV

and told me i went dumb :biggrin:

Well I had a similar idea after watching that movie some time ago.

The best I could come up whit was this - http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=27984&hl=

Unfortunately being an lazy ass, nothing came out of this idea. But after DS mod came out I got interested about this again.

Tonight I will see what can be done.

Edited by Mladuna

Yup, I too enjoy the film since I first watched in 1991. That year I ended up owning all 3 versions - the novel, the PC sim by Rowan software (later makers of MiG Alley) and also the video. Because of the tension of the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait and the built up of US forces in Operation Desert Shield, the film was not release for theatres but went straight to video instead.

"Flight Of The Intruder"...One of my all time favorite books. Lord knows how many copies of it i had throughout the years. In my storage unit i probaly have about 5 copies!

A really great trilogy is "Termite Hill, Lucky's Bridge", and "Tango Uniform" by Tom Wilson. If you want the lowdown on flying Thuds and doing Weasel work, the books are virtually impossible to beat in the genre of Vietnam fiction.

Scooter pilots have a winner in "Ghostrider One" Everything you want about carrier ops in the A4 is in the book.

Edited by Lt. James Cater

"Flight Of The Intruder"...One of my all time favorite books. Lord knows how many copies of it i had throughout the years. In my storage unit i probaly have about 5 copies!

A really great trilogy is "Termite Hill, Lucky's Bridge", and "Tango Uniform by Tom Wilson. If you want the lowdown on flying Thuds and doing Weasel work the books are virtually impossible to beat in the genre of Vietnam fiction.

Scooter pilots have a winner in "Ghostrider One" Everything you wantabout carrier ops in the A4 is in the book.

Affirm! All those plus Wings of Gold by a Crud Driver.

:ph34r: CL

Synchronicity...FOTI was on Sky Movies here in the UK this afternoon. I left work early and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it on, missed the first ten minutes of it but it's a great film. I could watch those snake-eyes deploy all day :good:

FOTI and Memphis Belle are two of my favorite movies. FOTI could be considered in "B" movie category, but I love it. Danny Glover cracks me up. I just ignore the rest of the crappy acting...

One of the reasons I like these two movies is that they came before the age of CGI-everything (even stuff that doesn't need to be). There are acutally real aircraft flying in the movie, and it makes the movie so much more enjoyable and realistic for me. I mean, how much would the Sandy scene suck with CGI skyraiders...?

Well the acting in the film was not the important part for me. But the planes flying around were simply amazing! Really enjoyed that part. Now guys I will have to search all those books you just posted :hi:

Mladuna, please keep us informed of your progress

After reading the book the movie was disappointing for me. The book is much better.

After reading the book the movie was disappointing for me. The book is much better.

Well, that´s indeed a principle. Many movies are great, but the book is way more enjoyable. Guess because while reading the book, you create the persons and story in your mind the way you enjoy it the most, while the movie just offers you one visuell version, wich might differ from your thought.

I set up a rule for me, FIRST watch the movie, then read the book! Otherwise i won´t like the movie.

I haven´t read the book now, so i can still love FOTI! :biggrin:

When i first saw the movie i was really disappointed. In time i grew greatly disappointed! As of now the final scenes still kill me and i can only bear certain parts of the movie.

BTW, I was thinking about it ,but just from this thread i decided (After my Thud was shot down on the second mission) to do an A-6 tour in WOV. As of this writing i have two missions done.

Just watched Flight of the Intruder for the first time! This film is amazing!! Really enjoyed it! But there's a thing that make me wonder, how you bomb the enemy when using TK sims? Our A6 have no bombing by radar system, I don't know If the film displayed in the film is realistic, but is not possible to add a sistem that let you bomb while in level flight even during bad weather?

Also is possible to add a copilot somehow?

P.S. Anyone more enjoyed the film?

Stratos, WOV's stock A-6A came with a co-pilot. Did you delete him? Also there are plenty of good pilot skins out there. Might be mistaken but I think Wrench did a Jake and a Cole, Virgil Cole setup.

a great flim, a great book, and the wonder skin of the A-6 FOTI is really nice.

On exterior shots the copilot is there just not with you in the pit so to speak.

Fastcargos original concept for F-111 cockpit with visible copilot

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...\&st=0

on Page two some hints how to do it for the Stock Thirdwire A6A

and a fix for that dark tinted glass on the stock pit.

Also hints for the A6A from Monty and it's derivates such as A-6B; EA-6A or A-6E Tram (DS Mod might have done that already)

S!

There is also a RWR for stock A6A around, replaces the clock with a three ring display.

Dont forget books by Joe Weber, a former Marine Fox 4 driver. Rules of Engagement, Targets of Oppertunity, DEFCON 1.

Yup, I too enjoy the film since I first watched in 1991. That year I ended up owning all 3 versions - the novel, the PC sim by Rowan software (later makers of MiG Alley) and also the video. Because of the tension of the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait and the built up of US forces in Operation Desert Shield, the film was not release for theatres but went straight to video instead.

What? The film wasn't released to theaters? Like heck it wasn't, There was a special showing at both NAS Oceana and NAS Whidbey Island base theaters the weekend before it was nationally released. When it was released was after Desert Storm had ended and it only made $14.4 million total around the world before Paramount shelved it (it cost them $35mil to produce it). Inside the A-6 community on a whole they laugh at it in the same way that the F-14 folks laugh at Top Gun.