Sign in to follow this  
FLOGGER23

H.A.W.X.

I loved the demo but I don´t think the full game is worth $1040 (pesos).

how many is this in USDs? :blink:

I'd like to reiterate the crazy flight model of this game.

There's just no loss of speed when turning. Speeds rarely go below 1000 km/h even with constant banking and turning. And I don't recall any blackouts. These planes have the flight model of UFO's! Ace Combat has a better feel of flying in my opinion (not totally realistic but good enough).

Actually speeds don't go below 1000 kmh even if you go straight up with full airbrakes, at least in assistance ON mode. Also when you stall the plane it just drops out of the sky. It seems to loose all forward momentum as it instantly goes straight downwards. you can even see the 90 degree angle edge of the vapor trails. Rolling the plane to the side does not affect the direction it travels either but it keeps going in a perfectly straight line, not loosing altitude and not turning. I guess the wings aren't really neccecary to produce lift afterall but they are just there to mount missiles on.

It is a ridiculous arcade shooter with airplanes, and if you expect nothing more than that it can be pretty amusing. But really, it is ridiculous.

Yeah the game's ridiculous but I'm enjoying. Think of it as a sci-fi arcade shooter. :D

Found out that my Saitek Cyborg EVO works with the PS3! It's just plug and play.

And it has all the buttons to emulate the PS3 controller. But there are some quirky button configs that you can't change though. :clapping:

Edited by jomni

OHz GODz NOez!!! This looks exactly like rebel raiders but with better graphics n more (semi-real) planes... If anyone has played both this and rebel raiders, please tell me if its better or worse...

Yeah the game's ridiculous but I'm enjoying. Think of it as a sci-fi arcade shooter. :D

Found out that my Saitek Cyborg EVO works with the PS3! It's just plug and play.

And it has all the buttons to emulate the PS3 controller. But there are some quirky button configs that you can't change though. :clapping:

I have only played the demo on the PC but it looks a bit like you have a similar problem with a dead zone several miles wide. At least when you cross the dead zone border you can still turn slow. My problem is when I finally pull the stick far enough to make the plane change direction it does so far too quick. It is like having 20 degree increments, so if I want to fly level but am in a 10 degree climb I have a very hard time not ending up in a 10 degree dive instead. At least I can configure all keys any way I want them though.

Actually speeds don't go below 1000 kmh even if you go straight up with full airbrakes, at least in assistance ON mode. Also when you stall the plane it just drops out of the sky. It seems to loose all forward momentum as it instantly goes straight downwards. you can even see the 90 degree angle edge of the vapor trails. Rolling the plane to the side does not affect the direction it travels either but it keeps going in a perfectly straight line, not loosing altitude and not turning. I guess the wings aren't really neccecary to produce lift afterall but they are just there to mount missiles on.

It is a ridiculous arcade shooter with airplanes, and if you expect nothing more than that it can be pretty amusing. But really, it is ridiculous.

Play it with expert controls, it simulates flight much better.

Yes, the deadzone in my stick makes it less responsive but turning is more controlled even when stick is pulled hard. Rather have the dead zone in my joystick than the ultra sensitive PS3 analog sticks. :P

This is no flight sim. That is certain. I just played the demo on the PC and I was very disappointed. The graphics for the ground are superb but, the planes are very bad and I won't describe how bad the physics are. I had high hopes for this game. I saw the PC game this afternoon in my local Best Buy store and came close to picking it up for $50. Whew! I'm sure glad I didn't spend my hard earn dollars for this one!

I would really like to see a TRUE flight sim with these kind of ground graphics and detail though. Now that would be sweet.

actually the game is quite fun, but only if you like getting to shoot at 100 objects a mission (like i do) flight characteristics do vary but they are still off. the game is meant for people who like games such as GRAW.

Just rented it out for the night for ps3, and i don't really think its that good to be honest, i mean the cockpit has no HUD. And plus the missions arnt really that exciting. So im just going to say this, if you like doing the same type of missions over and over again, go ahead and buy it, but if you dont, buy yourself ace combat, its just way better.

Yeah, I finally got to try HAWX and man was I disappointed. The cockpits are horriffic, the HUD mode looks like a call-back to PS1, the aircraft models are so-so, but inaccurate, the weapons don't even try to replicate the appearance of real life weaponry. And without "assist" mode on, you end up in this God-awful camera, yet with more available control over the aircraft without the ability to adequately use it. Agree with Scouser; keep the heck away from this one.

Would anyone else agree that Ace Combat is better in everyway?

Just about. My friend and I were playing HAWX and came to realize (we've been AC fans for a long time) that it's pretty much got every element from every AC mixed into it somehow. The only thing I think HAWX is better than AC for is the radio communications. Yeah, they get kind of annoying after a while, but at least they're not on the frequency telling the enemy that "their hate is slowing them down!" Dear God, do I hate AC's comms. Also, the fact that you can do 2-player campaign mode can make it tolerable enough to enjoy with a friend for a little while. Other than that, HAWX holds nothing over AC.

Just about. My friend and I were playing HAWX and came to realize (we've been AC fans for a long time) that it's pretty much got every element from every AC mixed into it somehow. The only thing I think HAWX is better than AC for is the radio communications. Yeah, they get kind of annoying after a while, but at least they're not on the frequency telling the enemy that "their hate is slowing them down!" Dear God, do I hate AC's comms. Also, the fact that you can do 2-player campaign mode can make it tolerable enough to enjoy with a friend for a little while. Other than that, HAWX holds nothing over AC.

Co-op...you dont say...i will rent this now perhaps...ive heard some good stuff about it

Downloaded the freebee fom 360 dashboard about 2 weeks ago, looked "S H I T H O T" other than looks I thought it sucked. I'll leave it at that

So, the consensus then is other than some mildly entertaining co-op that isn't worth the purchase price, this title should be renamed Tom Clancy's S.U.X? :grin:

I just watched some youtube videos. Graphics are amazing. Everything else looks godawful.

It's really too bad they won't do a halfway decent sim (something like the TW games) on a console with HAWX quality graphics. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Il-2 Birds of Prey?

Il-2 Birds of Prey?

I'll check it out when it comes out, but, yeah, that is along the lines of what I was talking about...

I guess I'm also curious how a 360 controller will work/feel vs a computer gaming joystick...

Edited by malibu43

I just watched some youtube videos. Graphics are amazing. Everything else looks godawful.

It's really too bad they won't do a halfway decent sim (something like the TW games) on a console with HAWX quality graphics. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Over G was more realilistic than HAWX or Ace Combat. But beware: buggy, bad graphics, and you will get shot down A LOT.

So, the consensus then is other than some mildly entertaining co-op that isn't worth the purchase price, this title should be renamed Tom Clancy's S.U.X? :grin:

I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, since I love Ace Combat, and even Aero Elite: Combat Academy is quite fun. Then I played the HAWX demo and it became painfully clear that the game's design team didn't consist of one pilot, and it seems not even one person that had done ANY research into aviation. It feels like a game made by 13 year old boys.

Is it just me, or is the Tom Clancy name just being thrown on garbage these days? I recall back when "Clancy" meant the game was researched and at least provided some realistic taste of whatever it was simulating (be it strategic warfare, tactical shooter, whatever.) It just seems like there is no longer any heed to that at all. I think you put it well, Grinch, it feels like the game was made by teenagers.

I just watched some youtube videos of Over G, and I think it's at least worth a rental. It looks like it's actually very playable from the cockpit, and as far as "hard-core-ness" goes, it looks like it's only just a little lighter than the TW series. Didn't really seem like there was much landing and taking off, which is usually a fun part, but worth a rent, none the less.

Over G is all right; I own it but I don't consider it a "hardcore" game. Its a lot better than AC or HAWX with regard to its simulation qualities (i.e. not arcade) and is as close as you're gonna get on a console, but it seems to try "too hard." Even unloaded and at 50% fuel all the aircraft handle like pigs, lack G authority at speeds that they should have it, some planes are overmodeled, some are under, weapons ranges are pretty jacked up (waaaay too short), but it's infinitely better than HAWX. The cockpits are nice; though not as 3D or refined as AC6, and it is CHALLANGING. Actually, a good way to put it is Aero Elite for the XBOX 360, but more in-depth, with more options, weapons and aircraft, and overall better (IMO).

You do get to take off, but I've never had to land. On ground missions you have to taxi to the runway, then take off, while on carrier missions you start on the catapult.

I'd definately recommend renting it, or buying it if it isn't too expensive.