Sign in to follow this  
Jimbib

Possible OV-10 Production Line Restart

Why do I keep hearing this?

:ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

We should have built new OV-10's many years ago but due to the end of the Cold War the need to reduce expendatures outweighed the percieved need for the capabilities of this plane at the time. As soon as we entered Afganistan we should have started building this bird. If they are making brochures about this then Boeing is more than interested in restarting production of the Bronco. It is definatly a great multirole plane. Maybe the Navy can get some and reactivate VAL-4 for littoral operations. An upgraded Bronco would be a much more capable platform than an AT-6 Texan II would be. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

With twin props we might get a decent canon on the centerline instead of a couple 50 cals slung under the wings.

VAL-4 Back? The black ponies?

:ph34r: CL

Well, depends on the users. There are nations interested in investing on aircraft for COIN duties (like the Philippines), so it kind of make perfect sense.

CL,

The photo you posted looks like the area very near Sembach AB, Germany.

Interesting times ahead for the COIN procurement.

-S

The day the Air Force gets OV-10s again, is the day I join the Air Force.

(nobody actually hold me to that...)

I think that is in Colombia, I could be wrong as I am just going off the caption of the picture in the OP's link. But that's besides the point, my opinion is that the Air Force is not going to procure any new manned observation/light attack aircraft, despite the heavier payload and other advantages of manned A/C, the UAV is seen as the "wave of the future" and we all know how the military goes berserk over "the wave of the future" and gets tunnel vision until an actual event snaps them back into reality.

However, I can see countries that don't have the military infastructure to support a UAV program to want to procure new OV-10s. Colombia is a great place for the OV-10, and they have ended the lives of many a FARC/cartel fighter.

I think that is in Colombia, I could be wrong as I am just going off the caption of the picture in the OP's link. But that's besides the point, my opinion is that the Air Force is not going to procure any new manned observation/light attack aircraft, despite the heavier payload and other advantages of manned A/C, the UAV is seen as the "wave of the future" and we all know how the military goes berserk over "the wave of the future" and gets tunnel vision until an actual event snaps them back into reality.

However, I can see countries that don't have the military infastructure to support a UAV program to want to procure new OV-10s. Colombia is a great place for the OV-10, and they have ended the lives of many a FARC/cartel fighter.

I agree, while this airframe is still in use around the world, it would great if it could open back up for other countries or even our U.S. Federal agencies or State. That rugged yet simple airframe can be used for everything for environmental issues (fire fighting), observation, intel gathering, or sar (to get a fix on places when C-130s are not available).

This would also be a great Airframe to help the Iraqis get back on their feet.

CL,

Interesting times ahead for the COIN procurement.

-S

It does look a lot like Germany now that you mention it.

Edited by Vampyre

The A-10 could also use a new production line - the only substitute for the A-10 is another A-10! :good:

The A-10 could also use a new production line - the only substitute for the A-10 is another A-10! :good:

Hear hear!

On the other hand.... it'd have to have some sort of targeting pod or somesuch. I know it's got it's laurels with Vietnam, but places like here.... while slower but still I love the A-10 and the fact it has one.

The A-10C upgrade is for all intents and purposes doing exactly that. Those planes are going to be in service still 50 years after they came off the production line as A's.

The A-10C upgrade is for all intents and purposes doing exactly that. Those planes are going to be in service still 50 years after they came off the production line as A's.

Yeah I've been aware of the program for a few years, and been seeing it's effectiveness out here. It's definitely one of the best programs so far :good:

That rugged yet simple airframe can be used for everything for environmental issues (fire fighting)...

The US Forrestry Service has used a few of the decommisioned OV-10's in this capacity already. Part of the problem is that that agency isn't funded very heavily and the priority for them is replacing the aging fleet assets that are currently in it's inventory. Watch some of the file footage from KommieFornia over the last couple of years and you'll see them from time to time.

The US Forrestry Service has used a few of the decommisioned OV-10's in this capacity already. Part of the problem is that that agency isn't funded very heavily and the priority for them is replacing the aging fleet assets that are currently in it's inventory. Watch some of the file footage from KommieFornia over the last couple of years and you'll see them from time to time.

The OV-10 would be a great aircraft for our own Border Patrol. Actually it has many, many uses. Pirate patrol, fire patrol, Taliban monitor, etc., etc.

I never understood why they shut the Bronco down to begin with. At the time they decomissioned them, the A-10 was supposed to be decomissioned too...and then GW1 happened. A-10s bought new life and then some while the Bonco gave up the ghost. I know the NW USA uses Broncos for fire spotting but they should be given another shot.

Had the 27 TASS OV-10s at George AFB, CA while I was active duty. Pretty sad when all F-4s, OV-10s, and the freaking base goes bye bye...makes me feel a little old....hehe.