Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Point of Interest To the Thirdwire Community

You know the other day we had a member who didn't think the DS mod was "all that". Then he attacked the fact that I asked for contributions to help in the upkeep of Combatace. The DS mod team and I are not above criticism. We do not expect everyone to like the mod, or any mod for that matter. It’s human nature, to each his own etc. We do not expect praise for it either, all we ask is for you to download it, enjoy it or delete it. However, I see no reason to be a prick about it. Or rivet count it etc. There is a right way and wrong way to do things. In my opinion it was the wrong way to do it. The unavoidable side affect is that I being the admin get vilified. Hey we all have out moments of “Hey this isn’t right!”, and that is fine. But it’s how you say it. I can’t stress this part enough. There is a time and a place for it. Sometimes a person can go overboard on the rivet counting. I can give you some examples but I am not going to embarrass anyone in my attempt to make a point. I know you all want quality mods and most of us make a point to give you just that. All we ask a modders is that if you find a glaring error, be cool about bringing it to our attention. If you find something minor that really doesn’t affect the aircraft in the sim, think twice before bringing it up. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

Yes I do get snippy about that kind of stuff and I have no problem brining it someone attention that they are being a douche bag. Now if you want to know why I do that, here is why, I think it kills the enjoyment of the sim when nit picking starts. Some people fail to realize that modders try to do everything to the best of their abilities and have time for. No one has the right to judge otherwise when you have quality product sitting on your HD. There is a quality and there is quantity and I know like The Mirage Factory for example believes in making sure you get a good, well researched, thoroughly tested, QUALITY product. FastCargo is the same way, Dels is the same way. The GMG are the same way. Zurtech is the same way for example as well. But when you find mistakes, or have problems, bring it to the modders attention diplomatically and rest assured your concerns will be addressed. I think that is not a lot to ask of any modders.

Thoughts?

A well thought-out response Dave. Hack... I am greatful for that fact that I found this webpage and is able to download mods for "FREE" to enhance my enjoyment of the Third Wire products!

I just wish I have the money to buy the expensive 3D Max program so to be part of the mod group :biggrin:

Dave, respectfully I would like to inform you that the US roundel on the E-3 is about (scale wise) 4 inches too far to the left of the L/S of the A/C, I expect this to be fixed ASAP. Also the EF-111A did not carry ARMs.

(For those of you that couldn't tell, that was a joke)

Seriously though, I have used so much bandwidth of this website downloading so much stuff I had already contributed membership dues before the ODS mod came out, but when I read that out of pocket money was spent by the modders for a FREEWARE add on, it made me want to give some more, I don't think asking for contributions to keep this community going is out of line at all.

Anyways, PM me your address and I will send you that piece of ICBM history, I don't need anything in return.

Also the EF-111A did not carry ARMs.

For the update its going to have Eels. :lol:

For the update its going to have Eels. :lol:

Eels in Racks? what kind of guidance?

:blink:

The same as St. Chuck´s fist in your avatar

Obviously some kind of electric guidance I would imagine.

Excellent post Dave. Just about sums up the way i feel about people complaining about a FREE addon. Fair enough point out flaws that affect the overall experience but when people are complaining about whats not in the mod, or what is in it but not good enough then they need their head checked. Muppets.

I was the one that responded to that persons post and I'll gladly respond to any other post that belittles or berates the efforts that go into bringing this fine community all the great items we enjoy for FREE!! To any one that has issue with the modders I say try to do what they do before you berate their work I know I can't do what they do so If a mod does not fit my wants or needs I don't download it I know we all love this site and for dave to ask for our support is his responsibility I'd love to contribute but at this time I'm scratching to just stay alive So I find other ways to contribute by helping others any way I can if they have questions that I can answer.

Edited by Viper6

Believe me, the rivet counting is getting old. Seems like there are people that expect everything to be PERFECT, when half of the time we tried to work above the limitations of everything.

As I've said on a blog post at my own blog:

Alright, we can live with that sort of complains. Until the same group of people decided to tell mod-makers for certain games that “you suck because you are using the wrong cockpit”, “the plane suck because it is not realistic enough”, and a lot more rivet-counting than I could ever remember since I started posting in CA. What these people fail to realize is that most of these people aren’t making a single cent from whatever they did for these games, and it isn’t limited to flight simulations alone. I’ve heard of good mod-makers leaving the scene, or went other routes because of the critics. I could go on, but it is getting pointless at the moment.

P.S. To those that actually bothered to read, I wasn't flaming any particular community. Just some people that insisted that everything else is like whatever Stilgr/whatever wanted.

Edited by kct

people who complain should be required to post their own mod before they are allowed to post anything else.

I know that is impractical, but the point should be apparent. Those who can't or won't do are the ones who complain.

they should simply be ignored.

Well said, but just try to put things back into perspective, the community only gets better and better, the situation was worse 1, 2, 3 years ago...

We regularly had drama unfolding, with unreasonnable people on both sides.

We reached a point where the standard modder agreement is used and allows the community to thrive with as little drama, friction and useless negotiations as possible.

Now we have only sporadic douchebag eruptions on the pure user front and level headed modders.

We also reached a point where everyone is aware of the passions and work involved and the community won't let modders be insulted, and if we manage to emit a crude comment on the spur of the moment, excuses and mortification ensues (see serverandenforcer who apologised for weeks for something that was only a badly worded opinion for which noone felt anything more than a rewording was necessary).

Good words Gunrunner.

I mean he didn't think the DS mod was all that. Great, that is quite fine he didn't, but what was the reason about being an ass about it? Was there something wrong about people liking it? I just do not understand what the problem was.

I also do not see what was wrong about asking for help with the site?

If I did something wrong, someone tell me, because I am at a loss.

You know sometimes I enjoy giving people the boot......and you know who that was. But this guy just prior to this had never done a thing. So why did he have to push me in that direction?

Every body should have in mind that this and other Flight Sims. Lite or not is a computer game. And no one regardless how clever they are. Cant produce a perfect product. There is allways limitations to obey. Game engines, performance etc etc.

Excellent post Dave. Just about sums up the way i feel about people complaining about a FREE addon. Fair enough point out flaws that affect the overall experience but when people are complaining about whats not in the mod, or what is in it but not good enough then they need their head checked. Muppets.

Hey leave the Muppets out of this at least they are Funny...

As to the idiot complaining some people have Far toooooo much time on their hands and we should not lower ourselfs to their level of idiocy as they will always win as they have more experience...

As to the Mods in here I am grateful that a lot of people out there willing to spend their time to actually mod the game and to such a great degree.

As to the ODS if I remember someone did say it wasn't a finished mod in the readme or am I getting confused again... (silver moment sorry).

Thanks again to all the people doing this and to all the critics make it constructive as I might be evil and release some of my stuff without checking it... :biggrin:

Rant over...

Edited by PACMAN

As to the ODS if I remember someone did say it wasn't a finished mod in the readme or am I getting confused again... (silver moment sorry).

Well the MOD is a WIP as we are going to add new content (as availible) and bug fixes. But it is done as far a being a completed mod goes. Make sense?

I agree to Dave's post too. I haven't D/L the mod yet because mainly I can't find my WOE cd.

Falcon

Apologies Dave I am at work and couldn't access the read me, but I knew there was a comment in there along those lines WIP Beta... thanks for that... will go chase the ghost's some more

The DS Mod is an amazing accomplishment on so many different levels. The enthusiasts took a incredibly complex piece of programming code written by somebody else, and literally bent it to their own mind. The artistic work on models, skins, strategic interaction and playability is dazzling. The organizational effort required to bring together all the contributors individual efforts into final finished package must have been huge. All of this was performed across different time zones; while dealing with normal family, work and real life demands.

I am personally in awe of what you fine folks have put together, and especially incredulous that this labor of love was created with the collective works of volunteers.

Wow, and thank you all for what you have done.

Sometimes, people doesn't realize, what they are receiveing is free, and complain; when there are some others (you can count me), happy with the community, because we are benefited with the abilities of others without the need to spend a penny; my thought on this is that the person/persons making bad comments about the free things we receive, have received a lesson in how to act for the future, even this is not the last time it will happen, believe me, so, we, and i'm counting me in some extent, must support the people that is happy here to make them happier and get this forum the best one ever, if it is not yet.......

The reactions of the typical idiots always gets the same response from me..."Dude, you ain't paying a dime for it" If you don't like it, don't use it.

It really reminds me of all the hassles over at MEKTEK when they released the first Mechpaks.

Edited by Lt. James Cater

Hi all

I have never posted a mod on this site, but i have downloaded plenty, I have been coming to this site 5/6 years now which i discovered quite by accident, and so glad i did!

All you modders keep this sim alive and kicking. I can remember playing SFP1 years ago dumb bombs only (and missing many targets), then discovering this site and hay presto LGBs flying everywhere fantastic. And then the planes OH the planes. And where else is this 35 year old short sighted guy going to get to steam around the middle east blowing stuff up.

Seriously though guys.

The work you do is fantastic and don't take any notice of those few idiots that live to p@ss others off.

When they themselves can produce a better DS mod let me know. I won't hold my breath though.

Keep all the mods coming

Jools

Good words Gunrunner.

I mean he didn't think the DS mod was all that. Great, that is quite fine he didn't, but what was the reason about being an ass about it? Was there something wrong about people liking it? I just do not understand what the problem was.

I also do not see what was wrong about asking for help with the site?

If I did something wrong, someone tell me, because I am at a loss.

You know sometimes I enjoy giving people the boot......and you know who that was. But this guy just prior to this had never done a thing. So why did he have to push me in that direction?

Dave this is the internet man! Literally anybody on this planet can come here and post whatever comes to his mind. Do you know how many 'special'  :crazy: people are out there? Don't analyse or try to figure them out, you'll drive yourself bonkers. What counts is that 90% of us enjoy playing and appreciate the effort put into this mod.  :good: