Sign in to follow this  
jomni

Flipping Sides in Strike Fighters 2 Campaigns

I want to flip sides (play as reds) in SF2.

My plan is:

1) Extract the campaign files and create a clone

2) Switch force alignments (from FRIENDLY to ENEMY and vice versa) in campaign_data.ini

3) Change some red squads to fly my custom red planes in campaign_data.ini

4) Change Service in campaign.ini

5) Identify flyable squads in campaign.ini

Did I miss out on anything aside from changing the win/loss/stall screens and text?

I'm also thinking if the resulting campaign will be balanced.

Edited by jomni

The original release of SFGold on CD (unpatched) accidently included the option to fly MiG-17s for the red side in one of the campaigns.

Of course later patches corrected this "mistake".

For some reason, the campaign that I flipped does not work. I cannot select soviet squadrons despite setting them up in the .ini.

But It's ok, I loaded up Red Wings Over Dhimar Campaign and made a little tweaking and it works. I think playing the early campaigns as reds is balanced since BVR technology is still not much used.

For some reason, the campaign that I flipped does not work. I cannot select soviet squadrons despite setting them up in the .ini.

There is no need to switch alignments, in fact this will cause a lot of problems with your install and won't help anything.

The values are absolute, not relative, so just imagine FRIENDLY=NATO=BLUE and ENEMY=SOVIET=RED and you will get how the system works. You can fly "ENEMY" squadrons provided the Red birds have working cockpits (you can fly them in single player), and those squadrons are called out as flyable from your campaign.ini file. All the other ENEMY squdrons will be on your side, cause you're all on the same side, get it? If you fly a squadron defined as ENEMY, the FRIENDLY guys are the bad guys, cause FRIENDLY=BLUE and ENEMY=RED.

Here's the drill to create Red-flyable campaigns:

Specific instructions on how to build a red-flyable campaign can be found in this thread, at post number 2:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...&hl=baltika

I haven't tested this in SF2, but if RWoD works, you should be fine.

Cheers,

Baltika

Edited by Baltika

The original release of SFGold on CD (unpatched) accidently included the option to fly MiG-17s for the red side in one of the campaigns.

Of course later patches corrected this "mistake".

My unpatched WOE let me fly a MiG-27. Not in a campaign of course, but it was still interesting, think it used the Zipper's pit.

Edited by JA 37 Viggen