Sign in to follow this  
Erwin_Hans

Russian state to order naval fighters to support MiG company

Russian state to order naval fighters to support MiG company

21:52 | 11/ 02/ 2009

MOSCOW, February 11 (RIA Novosti) - The Russian government will order a number of MiG-29 KUB Fulcrum-D carrier-based fighters as part of the state support for the ailing MiG aircraft maker, a deputy prime minister said on Wednesday.

"The state will support in every possible way, including financially, this one of Russia's largest companies. A draft weapons procurement program envisions the purchase of MiG-29 KUB naval fighters for deployment on future aircraft carriers," Sergei Ivanov told a meeting of aircraft industry officials in Moscow.

The MiG corporation sustained losses of some 11 billion rubles in 2008, with its debt running at 44.8 billion rubles ($1.25 billion).

Apart from the ongoing financial crisis, the MiG corporation has been hit by Algeria's decision to tear up a $1.28 billion contract to buy 34 MiG-29s, signed in 2006, over the airplanes' "inferior quality." The 15 planes delivered were sent back to Russia.

Ivanov said that Russia's Defense Ministry would pay 25 billion rubles ($690 million) for 24 MiG fighters produced under the Algerian contract.

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said earlier on Wednesday he had signed a resolution allocating 15 billion rubles ($417 million) in federal budget funds to the MiG company to increase charter capital through an issue of additional shares.

"These measures will allow us to integrate the MiG corporation into Russia's United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) without making the UAC bear the burden of the current MiG debts," Ivanov said.

The MiG corporation is well-known for its MiG-29 and latest MiG-35 Fulcrum-F fighters.

The MiG-35 is a contender with the Eurofighter Typhoon, F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, Dassault Rafale, JAS 39 Gripen and F-16 Falcon in a tender for more than 126 multirole combat aircraft to be procured by the Indian Air Force in the near future.

[CV32: The MiG-29KUB is the two-seat combat capable trainer version of the MiG-29K]

Why not Sea Flankers. :dntknw:

I would guess that the Mig variant, being slightly smaller, would be a little easier to operate from the mid size deck of the Kuznetsov and follow on carriers?

the other explanation is that they want to maintain the Mig production line and since the Su series seems to be getting a better chance at overseas orders they made that choice for military/industrial/political reasons.

(not that we ever do anything like that..........)

Yeah, I am willing to bet that Artem Mikoyan and Mikhail Gurevich thought that their company would be around forever.

I would guess that the Mig variant, being slightly smaller, would be a little easier to operate from the mid size deck of the Kuznetsov and follow on carriers?

the other explanation is that they want to maintain the Mig production line and since the Su series seems to be getting a better chance at overseas orders they made that choice for military/industrial/political reasons.

(not that we ever do anything like that..........)

You're in deep do-do when the Algerian AF rejects your jet for lack of performance.................

You're in deep do-do when the Algerian AF rejects your jet for lack of performance.................

HA!

good point!!

although I thought they rejected it for the material condition (they were old and hadn't been refurbished as agreed upon) as well as lack of financial off-sets?

Edited by Typhoid

I would like to see MiG-35 - whatever the version - as new fighter for Serbian AF. :yes:

I don´t know bout it, but Algerian cancellation of the contract could be also motivated

by economical means. The fault of quality would mean that they didn´t have to pay any

compensation, as the breakup is not "their fault"

IMHO, if the purchase of the Su-33 instead of the Sea Fulcrum was a decision influenced

by Sukhoi´s lead Misha Simonov, the adcquisition of a multirole fighter for the navy

was expectable, boosted by the post-georgian modernization plans and India´s bet on them

for their naval aviation

I don´t know bout it, but Algerian cancellation of the contract could be also motivated

by economical means. The fault of quality would mean that they didn´t have to pay any

compensation, as the breakup is not "their fault"

IMHO, if the purchase of the Su-33 instead of the Sea Fulcrum was a decision influenced

by Sukhoi´s lead Misha Simonov, the adcquisition of a multirole fighter for the navy

was expectable, boosted by the post-georgian modernization plans and India´s bet on them

for their naval aviation

You have passed some important points.

- Planes withdrawn of Algeria have arrived on arms of the Air Forces of the Russian Federation

- The MiG will keep design offices, however will stop existence as the corporation is independent and will be a part of the united company under the full control of the state.

- Enmity between the MiG & of Su was always. The state relation to MiG has sharply worsened after 2000 because of:

- A failure of the project 1.44

- Not co-ordinated export of planes the MiG, for example during war in Ethiopia-Erithrea, Russia has officially supported Ethiopia, has directed there Su-25T and Su-27S. Russian pilots directed by the Ministry of Defence participated in operations. According to the governmental order in 2008 they have received the same privileges as veterans of local wars*. An instant in the meantime delivered planes to Eritrea with the Russian/Ukrainian mercenaries, during battles Su-27 have brought down not less than 2 MiG-29.

*Officially the USSR / Russia was at conflicts (death-count)

Afghanistan (15051), Egypt and Syria (52), Yemen (2), Vietnam (16), Laos (5), Algeria (25), Cuba (69) Korea (315), Hungary (720), Angola (11),

China [(936) 1946-50 + (60) 1969], Czechoslovakia (98), Mozambique (8), Libya (22)

You have passed some important points.

- Planes withdrawn of Algeria have arrived on arms of the Air Forces of the Russian Federation

- The MiG will keep design offices, however will stop existence as the corporation is independent and will be a part of the united company under the full control of the state.

- Enmity between the MiG & of Su was always. The state relation to MiG has sharply worsened after 2000 because of:

- A failure of the project 1.44

- Not co-ordinated export of planes the MiG, for example during war in Ethiopia-Erithrea, Russia has officially supported Ethiopia, has directed there Su-25T and Su-27S. Russian pilots directed by the Ministry of Defence participated in operations. According to the governmental order in 2008 they have received the same privileges as veterans of local wars*. An instant in the meantime delivered planes to Eritrea with the Russian/Ukrainian mercenaries, during battles Su-27 have brought down not less than 2 MiG-29.

*Officially the USSR / Russia was at conflicts (death-count)

Afghanistan (15051), Egypt and Syria (52), Yemen (2), Vietnam (16), Laos (5), Algeria (25), Cuba (69) Korea (315), Hungary (720), Angola (11),

China [(936) 1946-50 + (60) 1969], Czechoslovakia (98), Mozambique (8), Libya (22)

I´m not sure about what you mean some times:

-Algerian planes were 2nd handed, or are now serving on Russia after the reject by Algerians?

-Is MiG then going to merge, stay independent or just become a division of UAC?

-About the relationship between the State and MiG, I don´t know much about politics in Russia, how did Putin arrival affect MiG?

lindr2,

NIce pics. Can't wait to seem them in Indian Navy colours.

At Aero India 09, an official said the batch of first five MiG-29s(could be KUBs) have been handed over to Indian Navy pilots & technicians and they are undergoing a 5-month training course in Russia.

yeah, that was the reason the Indian Navy selected the MiG-29K over Su-33. It would barely have operated successfully from the Admiral Gorshkov(INS Vikramadtya).

I´m not sure about what you mean some times:

-Algerian planes were 2nd handed, or are now serving on Russia after the reject by Algerians?

YES

-Is MiG then going to merge, stay independent or just become a division of UAC?

Unclear status - close to division of UAC, but with MiG name.

-About the relationship between the State and MiG, I don´t know much about politics in Russia, how did Putin arrival affect MiG?

not affect. To take under the state control. The ECONOMIC policy the MIG was unacceptable. It is impossible to accept plundering of budgetary money or sale of military production to the unfriendly countries.

Edited by lindr2

I can just imagine us selling F-16s to Iraq in 2002 as we're prepping for the invasion!

Were all those deaths in Cuba during the Bay of Pigs conflict?

I don't believe China ever taken any Su-33s, no. Without a carrier there would be little point on spending the extra money when it could go to an Su-27/30 that would be more useful.

Were all those deaths in Cuba during the Bay of Pigs conflict?

I guess that it includes casualties before Castro came to power, during

the guerilla at Sierra Maestra, i mean advisers and others

Edited by macelena

I don't believe China ever taken any Su-33s, no. Without a carrier there would be little point on spending the extra money when it could go to an Su-27/30 that would be more useful.

They are working on getting a carrier though so it'd make sense in the medium term.

Crap the US should buy them and use them as agressor's

Crap the US should buy them and use them as agressor's

us did , ages ago :good:

us did , ages ago :good:

Brasil bought Flankers for agressor training?

Nope, I think he meant the US bought MiGs for agressor training...

ah.

no, actually we didn't. We bought some specific Migs to keep them off the market or for evaluation. We never established an actual Mig agressor squadron.

Well the "algerian" can go and rely on their "indigenous" fighter combat manufacturers, or ask an estimate at Eurofighter or AMD. Or maybe at Lockeed Martin.

Yeah. god only knows what political intigue there is here