Sign in to follow this  
Southernap

Could of been a contender

From a blog about Naval Aviation. I emailed this out to a couple of family friends and this is what they told me about the design.

This would have been the Grumman A-7 had it been accepted. North American proposed a updated FJ (Navy F-86). Vaught got the contract by building the plane around the F-8 design. This was a idea to save procurement $$$ by building the A-4 replacement around an existing airframe. Truth be told the Grumman version probably used more of the existing airframe than the A-7 did of the F-8. Turned out that the original A-7A was a dud as the engine started doing compressor stalls as soon as it sucked steam out of the cat track. They fixed that, but the fix downgraded the available thrust to the point that it couldn’t carry any more ordnance than the A-4 it was supposed to replace. So they re-engined it, but the new engine was originally designed as a turbofan for airliners and it had a nasty habit of eating bearings during high G maneuvers. Engine failures in single engine aircraft are a problem that should be avoided if possible. So…. It is quite possible that a single seat intruder would have been a much better idea.
Supposedly Grumman wasn't going to put a version of DIANE into this, but rather something else that would have given a capable all weather bombing system that one man could operate.

Thoughts, mods, what-ifs?

my opinion is that there are many aircrafts that didn't make it to production lines

you can't be sure which one of them could have changed aviation history if they were brought into a good flying status

you can only enjoy seeing the ones who did do it

what if? the A-4 wasn't a legendary aircraft (like the F-15 for example) so i think it's predecessor wouldn't be as well

just another jet for the collection

Cheers!

I've got a picture of it in a book on the A-6, looks quite tidy. Next time I've got the scanner working I'll post it here.

Couple of things:

The fix for the TF30s steam-ingestion problem actually resulted in more thrust, not less. The TF30-P6 was rated at 11,350 lbs, while the TF30-P8 was rated at 12,200 lbs. The replacement engine, the Allison TF41, was a license-built Rolls Royce Spey with only minor differences to the ones fitted to British Phantoms, and I've never heard of them having any problems with the engine bearings.

Things in the A-7s favor over the single-seat A-6 include: simpler, cheaper, more economical to operate, smaller and ligther, more fuel efficient and, once the A-7D and E were introduced, far more accurate at dumb-bomb delivery.

Having looked at the model of the A-6 variant, it looks a bit on the big side to be an A-4 replacement! You'd certainly not have got as many aircraft onboard which is always a consideration.

Wow! nesher says the A-4 was not a legendary aircraft? How was it not? With out the A-4 the nam navy airwing has no light attack craft. What go with all A-6's?

my opinion is that there are many aircrafts that didn't make it to production lines

you can't be sure which one of them could have changed aviation history if they were brought into a good flying status

you can only enjoy seeing the ones who did do it

what if? the A-4 wasn't a legendary aircraft (like the F-15 for example) so i think it's predecessor wouldn't be as well

just another jet for the collection

Cheers!

The A-4 is a legend because a presidential candidate flew it and got shot down in it

The A-4 is a legend because a presidential candidate flew it and got shot down in it

The A-4 is not a legend because Sen.McCain flew it, it's a legend because of it's ability to carry ordnance loads out of proportion to it's size. Mr. Heineman designed out all unnecessary weight and gave it a powerful engine. It is still being used in a few countries today, the Argentine military have had their fleet of A-4's modernized in the past ten years. It's like the Energizer Bunny, it keeps going and going and......

I think Nesher meant that if it wasnt produced, then it wouldnt have been a legend. And to be completely honest, the A-4 was a legend LONG before John McCain was shot down in it. Ever heard of Mike Estocin? He was a pilot shot down in an A-4 and that was before McCain as I recall.

http://members.tripod.com/~Firebase_Freedom/pow.html

Edited by Jarhead1

So then, is the TBM Avenger famous becuase Former President George H. W. Bush flew them one and got shot down? Kind of an ignorant statement if you ask me.

Having looked at the model of the A-6 variant, it looks a bit on the big side to be an A-4 replacement! You'd certainly not have got as many aircraft onboard which is always a consideration.

Another reason the A-4 was good for carriers, it was small enough to operate on the Essex class boats and didn't need folding wings. The folding systems added weight the Scooter didn't need let alone more hydraulics to maintain.

So then, is the TBM Avenger famous becuase Former President George H. W. Bush flew them one and got shot down? Kind of an ignorant statement if you ask me.

Well, atleast in my mind it is a legend. BTW, the Avenger is a legend anyhow. So versatile...

Ignorant meens not knowing of something,lack of knowledge, education, or awareness , I dont think that applies here,

Disagree w/ the A-4 = not legendary, also.

Main light attack jet for the USN (and USMC) early on in Vietnam. Trained the world's best aviators for a couple decades. Did plenty of dissimilar training for the USN/USMC making our fighter guys even better.

No small accomplishments there. Sure the Scooter doesn't have a record of "no air combat losses," but pure statistics do not a legend make.

P.S. I'm glad that single-seat Intruder got turned down - it's too ugly. A-7 was a better choice on looks alone, although it's still a SLUF.

Edited by gbnavy61

An A-6 with a pointier nose.

That means that it would go 650 kts straight down full power,instead of 580 like the A-6a.

The A-7 was a good replacement for the Navy and the Air Force.

The Marines used the Scooter and the Intruder to the best of their tactical advantages(light and heavy Attack) off of runways.

As for the A-4 not being legendary,look what the IDF/AF did with it!!

Wow, somehow the single-seat A-6 looks UGLIER than the standard version or the Prowler! Amazing, I didn't think it was possible!

Everyone talks as if this could have been a contender, well let me put it like this, lol, if my aunt had been born with a d*%k, she could have been my uncle, lol. Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda even been a contender, but wasnt. Just bustin ur balls, nothing meant by this except a joke. :biggrin: