Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

The Hun Is Always In The Sun

I needed a break, so I have been screwing around with new hi-res textures for the FE Fokker D.VII. The texture bmps are twice original size - 1024x1024 instead of 512x512 - and utilize classic painting theory for better color balance. When finished, I'll release them with instructions (and color samples) for making squadron markings, as conventional decals are not compatible. BTW, there are FOUR Fokkers in the bottom shot.

FokkerSkins-21.jpg

FokkerSkins-23.jpg

FokkerSkins-20.jpg

It took me an extra second to find #4. good work!

Nice work Geezer!

You'd hardly know that fourth aircraft was there.

Thanks. After careful color balancing of the cammo colors, I noticed that Edward's Flanders terrain was too bluish on my monitor. This prevented the cammo from working well, so I adjusted some of the Flanders ground textures and then everything fell into place. I've started collecting "how-to-do-it" shots for a knowledge base "Art 101" article that will explain the theory of color balancing in simple terms that everyone can understand.

Edited by Geezer

Progress shots below. I am thinking of giving the pilot a dueling scar and maybe an arrogant sneer. :biggrin:

FokkerSkins-26.jpg

FokkerSkins-27.jpg

Will we have to add the arrogant sneer to the weapons pack? Can it be modded for jet operations?

Will we have to add the arrogant sneer to the weapons pack? Can it be modded for jet operations?

I suppose that the face could be adapted to a jet pilot. I tried making a quick sneer and it does not read very well. Part of the problem is the pilot's lips are modeled in 3D and they are thin and narrow - they don't lend themselves to a good, villainous sneer.

FokkerSkins-28.jpg

Now this is a world-class, evil sneer!

Sneer.jpg

Edited by Geezer

Hi Geezer-

Have you done any comparisons between the FR with Hi Res and normal size skins?

(BTW- these look very good indeed - no sneer intended!)

It's good to see more entries into the skinning ward of this mental hospital.

sinbad

Hi Geezer-

sinbad

I think these skins look great and I cant wait to get my hands on them but .... not sure it is a good idea to mention skinning and mental hospital in the same sentence. What if Hannibal Lectur get to hear about this?

Damn nice skins Geezer :good:

Hi Geezer-

sinbad

My rig is pretty healthy, but is not an ubercomputer, and so far I have had no problems. But, there is no doubt that some guys will not be able to run these larger 1024 skins so I am thinking of also releasing 512 versions. They will both look the same at combat ranges, but the hi-res textures make a difference when viewing wings, struts, etc from the cockpit. Progress shot below.

FokkerSkins-29.jpg

Finally finished detailing the guns, struts, and fuselage. Still some work to be done on the wheels and MLG axle fairing. Then, it's on to the wings and tail.

FokkerSkins-31.jpg

More progress shots.

FokkerSkins-35.jpg

FokkerSkins-36.jpg

Nice. I might have to give First Eagles another go. It's been a while since I've wandered around above the trenches.

Nice. I might have to give First Eagles another go. It's been a while since I've wandered around above the trenches.

It'll be a while before this is ready, as I will also make 512 versions for guys with older rigs.

I also plan on releasing the original 1024 Photoshop art with color swatches so guys can make squadron markings and personal insignias.

Then, I hope to expand the 1930s ground objects by adding more WW1 stuff. It will then be the "Golden Age Ground Objects" that will cover the era of the biplane, from 1916 to 1940.

Hi Geezer-

Excellent plan- This game has a significant advantage over others - we can work together to mod it and never mind paying for each mod.

You are doing great work. I look forward to the release as you describe it.

sinbad

Started fooling around with the cockpit and pilot again. :biggrin:

FokkerSkins-37.jpg

I was going to explain those "crazy circus" camouflage paint schemes with this screenshot to some people that cannot understand how can they work, but it´s not longer avalaible :needpics:

Please :wink:

Edited by Iagoba