Sign in to follow this  
Flegmatica

Using Radar Guided Missles?

Hello there :)!

First of all i wanna tell you hello guys and im very glad i found this forum (It's awesome :good: :)).As a WWII pilot im never been into jets, but now's the day when things gonna change. I got myself Strike Fighters and im glad i did, but has some minor problems like no manual or tutorial whatsoever. I got all figured out by myself ofcourse but there is 1 thing i need help with. That is how i can use radar guided missles? I lock on target on radar and it gives me green "In Range" but when i press fire nothing happens :dntknw: . Can someone give noob a hand :biggrin: ?

Thanks!

-Fleg

what plane are you flying? what missile? with semi active homing missiles you need to keep your nose on them til impact remember all early SAH missiles were not that reliable so you might have to fire more than one. Welcome to our humble sight it is always great to have real pilots here.

Well as i sayed, i cannot shoot missle at all. Im using AIM-7E Sparrow missles and im flying with F-14 Tomcat. But the plane that im flying makes no difference, cant shoot AIM-7's with other planes too.

first, turn the radar on. normally the page up button, then select the range page down... then select a target, home, then lock on with the insert key. this is all based on the original key configs. if all else fails, wait till its 10 miles out, and use the boresight mode, hit page up a few times till you get that A2A mode.

rovert97 is right. I use the number keys on the top of my key board. 4 changes radar settings, u want search mode. adjust the range so your radar picks up the target. use the home key (6 key on my setup) to select ur target of choice, and the the insert (7 on mine) key to lock the target. If u have the yellow diamond around the target, you can fire radar missiles. On hard, it takes up to 5 seconds after the fire command for the missile to leave the rail in the case of the F4 Phantom and the AIM-7.

Yeah! I do it like this, but nothing, no lock, diamond or anything. Im right behind Mig 21, radar is all set, missle is selected - ready to fire but nothing. AIM-7 range should be around ~ 20 miles but im closing on targets 6'o clock but still NOTHING, chased the target 30 miles - 1 mile and nothing, i used machinegun to shoot him down. What gives ?

Go to your options screen on the main page and make sure that you are using easy radar first. After that I would check your key bindings. More then likely you accidently changed a binding for your radar and it now won't work for you. Go through the list and verify they are set up just like the manual says. Come back again if you are still having issues, oh and try and get some screen grabs of the cockpit so we can help to diganose what is going on.

flightsim20090216041728yo1.jpg

flightsim20090216034224qg5.jpg

Im using Radar, Hud and Visual Targeting easy, others are all hard.

Ok. Red box is only the visual lock. Your radar picks up the enemy plane as signified by the dot in your radar screen. You need to manually lock the enemy plane by pressing 'Home' (select radar targets) then press 'Insert' (lock target). Once locked you get a yellow diamond. boresight mode automatically locks the plane in front of you. When you fire, make sure that you have the target locked until the missile hits.

Look my radar. Obviously you can see i've done that. And i know that red box is Visual Lock...

lock is yellow diamond

I know that... But did you even read my thread? I dont get the yellow diamond!

OKAY! As i happen to own Wings over Europe too then i decided to try that one out too. And what do you know, did the same stuff what i did in SF but in this game diamond appeared and missle away! I do the same stuff in Strike Fighters and NO DICE! What is wrong with myStrike Fighters?

yes i did and you are saying that you can't fire any radar guided weaps

yes i did and you are saying that you can't fire any radar guided weaps

Yeah, sorry :biggrin: , you were first to post in this thread, didnt notice :biggrin: .

But yes, in WOE i can launch radar guided missles flawlessly. In SF i cant :dntknw: . Diamond just doesn't appear. I'll try reinstalling the game and maby updating the game. I've noticed there is update "SFP1_Update_Oct2008b", does it update my game to Strike Fighters 2? Im owning the first version of the game, Strike Fighters: Project 1.

no the oct patch just improves that game. SF2 is a totally different game

Ok so you can't get the yellow diamond. And you know how to operate the radar since you played other TW games. The operation is exactly the same. Maybe you should report this to Thirdwire in their forums.

Ok so you can't get the yellow diamond. And you know how to operate the radar since you played other TW games. The operation is exactly the same. Maybe you should report this to Thirdwire in their forums.

Not necessary! I've installed the "SFP1_Update_Oct2008b" patch and voila! I can finally fire radar guided missles :good: . So i had some bug with the game after all, thank you all for help ^^.

Not necessary! I've installed the "SFP1_Update_Oct2008b" patch and voila! I can finally fire radar guided missles :good: . So i had some bug with the game after all, thank you all for help ^^.

Great news. I assumed you're playing SF2 and not SFP1. Did not read post #16 properly.

Edited by jomni