Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Which Do You Prefer?

Moving mud or knife fights? And why?

My first sim was F-15 strike eagle, so I have a weak spot for raining death from above. :blush2:

Same here. I enjoy doing both but when it comes to choice id prefer blowing things up on the ground. Probably because i like big bangs :biggrin:

Depends on the plane. In a MiG i prefer the air combat, especially the intercept or CAP missions. MiG's were for me allways the defenders.

In american planes i prefer the mud mover role. Blue side as aggressors.

I prefer moving mud, because if I were out hunting MiGs all the time, I wouldnt get em always, because in WOV, there have been some missions that I havent even seen a MiG. Moving mud is more admirable, because ur actually doing something worthwhile in my opinion and its an important job.

Mud Moving. It's just more exciting dropping a bomb, launching a missile after flying through mountains at near Mach 1, dodging SAMs, AAA, it just seems more "livelier" than getting in constant knife fights. And like above, my first was F-15E Strike Eagle, but my real "first" was EF2000, just too good.

Well flying modern jets in a knife fight just isnt as excting. Its over way too quickly.

Flying A2A from post Korea to Vietnam is where its at. You will earn your money there for sure. 100 times more exciting than modern A2A combat.

Weasel Hunting.... so I would be a mud-mover... nothing like being chased by SAM's and reducing the Site to its component parts...

I prefer a target that shoots back but thats me sick and twisted...

But to the knife fighting only if its Guns only... missile's make it too easy...

Edited by PACMAN

A2A in WOI. Flying the Mirage III.

In WOE long range in an F-14, watching the Phoenix's climb away to hit targets far far away.

Moving mud, well I do like the F-15I a lot... but even then Im particular about waxing the bandit who's been dogging my tail. :biggrin:

CA_Stary's DS effects have made me enjoy ground strikes a lot more though...

mud moving, but i like to carry some sidewinders just incase i get jumped. either way, blowing sh*t up is fun.

Recently doing the fully patched, updated version of WOV and now ODS has brought me back full circle to mud moving. I spent quite a while flying A2A but there is just more of a feeling of satisfaction while coming off a successful bomb run.

It's also the more stressful and high pressure role. Trying to make a tour in WOV in F-105s or A-6s or , as i am now trying, to do ODS in an F-111 is way more in depth than those times i spent flying F-100s, F-16s or F-15s. Things are a lot more critical now and the losses of squadronmates hurts more due to the fact that we must go deep into enemy territory to do our thing. In A2A sometimes missions were completed virtually within gliding distance of our bases.

Edited by Lt. James Cater

It depends on my mood. Generally I do knife fights though.

Falcon

Fighter pilots make movies, bomber (attack) pilots make history.
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!! I'm a Mud movin Fool!! :good:

Earlier I was a dedicated mud mower. Now I like a close knife fight too. But it is two completly different worlds in my opion. But I like them both :biggrin: Being a F-4 Phreak you have to master both worlds :whip:

Used to be Knife Fights only but do loads of bombing these days - thou has to be light attack - not interested in heavy bombers!

In this sim you can bomb the target and then have a dogfight and a few near misses - thats a good mission for me - especially if 20 Mig-17Fs have been shot down along the way.

With the better AI the dogfights are more worth it and challenge you to improve on your previous tactics.

FE is knife fights only - had some classics in that - great fun!!

I do both equally. Since my first air combat sim was F-19, where you did both equally, I've always done both sides.

The only exceptions were in WWI sims (which had little to no mud moving) and F-14 Fleet Defender. I've even shot down other helos in Black Shark with my gun (and that was NOT easy at all!) even though mud moving is the main priority there.

I just love air combat in all its guises!

I have moments of each, but currently I am enjoying killing stuff on the grond a lot. It is just satisfying somehow to watch a big building turn into a crater. Perhaps almong the most fun missions I have had lately was close air support with enemy fighters on a role to take out our ground troops too, so we had to fend off both ground and air.

Modern air to air fights can get exciting too, especially if you start with the enemy on your tail.

it varies.

sometimes knife fights - sometimes moving mud - sometimes going downtown and changing infrastructure into rubble - sometimes turning ships into submarines

the best missions are when I go "downtown" or after the enemy fleet - and the dumb Mig just happens to make the mistake of jumping me!

:biggrin:

Edited by Typhoid

I prefer Mud Moving.

A knife fight after wrecking ground targets can be a swell time tho.

:ph34r: CL

Gotta be air-to-air for me. Smoking MiGs in the F-8 is highly enjoyable.

I do fly the mud-movers now and again, but if I can load bullets into it, or throw some A/A missiles on it, I do - in the hopes of running across some hapless MiG. Conversely, I almost never take bombs on board, "just in case."

Edited by gbnavy61

I prefer mud moving, but I do still enjoy a good air-to-air duel. Especially when I get to use the Phantom's awesome RAW THRUST to outclimb, outdive and outspeed those little MiGs. However, nothing quite compares to running the gauntlet into Hanoi at 200 feet and 500 knots with more bombs on board than a B-17.

I'd say about an 85-15% ratio, mud-movin' to Air 2 Air.

So the majority of the time it is making history, but then I get an itch to load up for air 2 air bear and swat some MiG's.

The Typhoon has a seductive call for the latter, as you can load it to the gills and wipe out half of an enemies air force in one swell foop!

:biggrin: