Sign in to follow this  
Bossco82

Help with Ironhand missions WOV

Hi Guys,

I have already put up a post requesting help on this one, Fubar replied however it hasn't solved the problem. Basically i'm trying to change the target priority in ironhand missions. At the moment i'm getting AAA guns as my priority targets, however I want to have sams and sam radars as the priority targets. This happens in both camaign and single missions. I'm using WOV patched to oct 08 and the VietnamSea terrain. In Fubars reply to my previous post he told me to fly Ironhand instead of SEAD. However I only get Ironhand as an option, however in my .ini files my mission type is SEAD not ironhand. Is this normal? One other thing, my ironhand missions in campaign and single mission always put my priority targets inside enemy airfields, is there anyway to change this so I fly ironhand around cities etc? Maybe i've watched Flight of the Intruder too many times but in the words of Virgil Cole " killing sams is righteous " :biggrin:

Cheers from ross

Well, you certainly have an issue, as evidenced by this:

IH.JPG

It's kind of hard to use Shrikes and STARMs against AAA, right?

IH2.JPG

And, your priority targets during such a mission should be in the "area" of the airfields, not inside the airfield proper. The airfields during such a mission are generally the targets of a strike package, your task is to neutralize the SAM threat. There's a WoV mission in the downloads section, titled "Haiphong Strike 67", which I recommend trying.

I get that problem too, and the best thing is to load a couple Shrikes or STARMS and some bombs along with it. I did the same mission on The Range map (well it's customized) so I only had AAA as my targets, but I dropped on all of them and got a mission successful. So the gist is bomb everything around the waypoint until Red Crown says "mission complete"

In my experience, it's best to carry a full load out of ARMs, and have your wingman loaded out with CBUs. You take out the SAM radars, and task your wingman with eliminating the AAA threat in the immediate vicinity of the target area. The real AAA threats are the 57 mm and larger weapons, as most strike packages will fly high and fast enough so they won't be bothered by 23 & 37 mm guns.

True enough, I bring the wingnut with me too, but since I have no confidence in his ability, I just carry most of the stuff myself, and depending on the map, he's also my cover while I shoot. At times he's worked out, but I guess I need to get my pilots more experience, which is my problem I guess.

Hi Guys,

I have already put up a post requesting help on this one, Fubar replied however it hasn't solved the problem. Basically i'm trying to change the target priority in ironhand missions. At the moment i'm getting AAA guns as my priority targets, however I want to have sams and sam radars as the priority targets. This happens in both camaign and single missions. I'm using WOV patched to oct 08 and the VietnamSea terrain. In Fubars reply to my previous post he told me to fly Ironhand instead of SEAD. However I only get Ironhand as an option, however in my .ini files my mission type is SEAD not ironhand. Is this normal? One other thing, my ironhand missions in campaign and single mission always put my priority targets inside enemy airfields, is there anyway to change this so I fly ironhand around cities etc? Maybe i've watched Flight of the Intruder too many times but in the words of Virgil Cole " killing sams is righteous " :biggrin:

Cheers from ross

Although the game doesn't make it clear, you are actually flying SEAD ("or Iron-Hand") for a strike package. Your primary targets as the SEAD/Iron-Hand flight will simply be whatever anti-air threats are in the vicinity of the strike target. If the strike target is surrounded by AAA, those will be your primary target. If there are SAM sights near by, those might be the primary targets.

Like stated above, just carry a combination of some ARM's and CBU's and you should be able to get the job done either way. If you don't get tasked to hit any SAM's, you can always go looking for some after you've cleaned up the AAA with your CBU's.

Edited by malibu43

Another item to pay attention to is the quality of your wingmen, I change the roster choices and bring the best so when I tell #3 and #4 to engage ground they perform better, that goes for #2 as well.

In certain areas you might want to bring in extra people loaded for bear with CBUs while you take on the SAMs.

Take Haiphong, there are 4 SAM sites in close vicinity and a whole lot of triple A. Try to engage with the Starms from about 30-40 miles out and that'll give you some time to look over the situation and make some decisions. If you run out of missles and SAM is still online, find the Fan Song and order your wingman to attack it.

In my last WOV campaign, i was using 2 flights of A-6s and believe me, they were knocking out plenty of priority targets on their own once i ordered them the engage ground. Want to see mayhem? Try 3 or 4 flights packing all the CBUs (Hell, pack Napalm or rockets if you have to) they can carry and let them loose about 2-4 miles from where you intend to get busy.

Take Haiphong, there are 4 SAM sites in close vicinity and a whole lot of triple A. Try to engage with the Starms from about 30-40 miles out and that'll give you some time to look over the situation and make some decisions.

30 or 40 miles is a bit far, in-game, and well out of the SA-2's envelope. If tasked with eliminating SAM defenses around Haiphong, I normally cruise at altitude while I let my wingman loose on the AAA, and target the nearest SAM radars with my Shrikes (the sites immediately north and south of Haiphong). I then wait for the sites off to the west to light off their radars, and engage them with STARMs when they switch from track to acquisition (guidance) mode.

The wingmen are ace since the recent patches at taking out AAA etc.

The problems with Shrikes is that you cant guarantee a hit.