Veltro2k

WESTLAND WHIRLWIND

index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&id=8271

File Name: WESTLAND WHIRLWIND

File Submitter: Veltro2k

File Submitted: 18 Feb 2009

File Updated: 25 Mar 2010

File Category: Allied Fighters

The British Whirlwind was the RAF's first single-seat, twin-engined, cannon-armed fighter, and a contemporary of the Supermarine Spitfire and Hawker Hurricane. A heavy fighter, it was developed by the Westland Aircraft company. It was one of the fastest aircraft when it flew in the late 1930s, and was much more heavily armed than any other. However, protracted development problems with its Rolls-Royce Peregrine engines delayed the entire project and only a relatively small number were ever built. During the Second World War only two RAF squadrons were equipped with the Whirlwind, and despite successful use as a fighter-bomber it was withdrawn from service in 1943.

Idea and Skins by the lovely Miss Syrinx

FM and Hangar the Wrench

Cockpit: Kesselbrut

THIS MODEL IS ONLY TO BE DISTRIBUTED AS FREEWARE AND IN NO OTHER CIRCUMSTANCE SHALL IT BE USED, EVEN IN PART OF ANYTHING THAT IS PAYWARE. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE COMBAT ACE MODDERS AGREEMENT

Click here to download this file

Ah the supremo low level fighter untill the Typhoon was on the scene.... nice one Veltro

Nice one. Did Whirlwinds serve in the Battle of Britain?

Chapeau!

That's the second one of your WW2 prop jobs I've moved into SF2 that flies really sweetly. Well done mate!

For SF2 users...

'PropLoop' makes a good engine noise!

There is also a stock PROP_PILOT if you don't want a jet jockey flying this sweet WW2 bird. I'm sure Wrench has something more appropriate and SF2 is thankfully like the older games - you can just put your preferred pilot in the Aircraft folder.

And similar to the Tornado F.3 put the transparency tga's into the skin folder.

I'm chuffed to bits with this and took out the dreaded ammo bunker with a M117 bomb! Perhaps they weren't so tough and hardened in 1943. LOL.

Spinner: you're not using Hinch's "MosEngine.wav"????? Sinner!!!! :haha:

It's set to use the Hurricane Pilot; but adding new pilots to SF2 :dntknw: since I don't have it....

How would one do it??? Just as always, or into the /users/doc/sF2 folder thingy??

Wrench

kevn stein

For SF2 we can't add sounds, effects or weapons just yet but it's easy enough to use stock stuff as adequate stand-ins. Thankfully, even in 1943 the stock USAF and UK bombs are listed and napalm too!

As explained, pilots (and seats) can just go into the Objects>Aircraft folder.

Veltro2K and/or Nicky - I'm struggling to place decals on the wings. Can you tell me the mesh name please? I've tried Wing_L and wing_L which is what the OUT file seems to suggest and also what was originally in the file. Thanks!

That's what the mesh names are AFAIK, however (I must've had a premoniton because...)

The roundels I painted on apart from the fuselage, if you want I can send you the layered .psd template I made for this - the roundels are completely removeable and interchangeable.

if you want I can send you the layered .psd template I made for this - the roundels are completely removeable and interchangeable.

That would be great and very much appreciated as I fancy doing a No.6 squadron Desert 'Tin Opener'.