Sign in to follow this  
Piecemeal

Prox Fuse Realism

One thing I've noticed when playing any of the Third Wire sims is; sometimes after firing a missile (any) and pressing F9, I get a little bit frustrated when I see it fly within what seems only a few feet from the target and keep flying without exploding. I've looked into it and AAM models, especially from the 70s onwards, have effective proximity fuses so as to ensure a kill even if they miss.

I'm sure the distance settings for each model would vary, but is it possible to add this feature to my AAMs via the Weapon Editor?

It is possible. Try it and you will see.

It is possible. Try it and you will see.

I've just opened up the AIM-9L settings with the weapon editor. Is it the 'C.E.P.(m)' entry? It's currently set to 0. I just want to ask in case I make the wrong changes and make a pig's a*se of it

Thanks lads, found it. Time for a little experimentation...... :wink:

Please post your findings. I've noticed the lack of a prox fuse also, but never thought to bother with it.

-S

I've been trying to Google info on the fuse distances for the various missiles but there doesn't seem to be much info out there on it. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places; maybe it's some kind of security matter for the governments and manufacturers; or maybe it's just because I've got some pizza in one hand and a fizzy drink in the other, heh heh.

But yes, definitely - any info found will be shared, be through web info or gameplay testing

Fuzing distance as it applies to weapons in this series has no effect, in as far as proximity from the target is concerned. The weapon will still only detonate on contact. Hopefully, this will be resolved in the future, possibly in SF2, or with its follow on titles.

Funny, I had an impression that AIM-9 somtimes detonate prematurely... one day they rip a Flogger in half, the next day one detonates barely scratching the tail.

Funny, I had an impression that AIM-9 somtimes detonate prematurely... one day they rip a Flogger in half, the next day one detonates barely scratching the tail.

It depends where they "hit", and the the location (or lack of) of hit boxes. For example, the first FM for one popular model had no hit boxes defined for the rear section of that model, and missiles seemed to explode harmlessly against it, until someone corrected it. :no:

Stock Flogger right up the pipe :blink: Of course it moved a bit forward from the blast but still too little harm done

flogged.jpg

Yough wait up Fubar. You say they exploded so they did detonate, just no effect.

I recall my experiments that fuse distance does have effect, in the SF1, and did not need hitting. Perhaps I need to look again. I found you can set it too high and the missile explodes too far from the target -- so no damage.

When I was experimenting with the Wasserfal the proximity fusing worked. Here's two exploding. IIRC the distance was set at something like 50 meters. With the warhead I used that was close enough. :wink:

w8.jpg

I think there was a Dogfights episode where they explained how the sidewinder´s warhead worked, including the fuze distance.

I think it was in the F-8´s episode

Tailspin that looks like what I saw. I figured increase fuse range to make missile "better" but it didn't work unless the warhead is powerful enough to do damage at the greater range.

So larger fuse range is good for larger warheads. Back in the day, near abouts 1960, nuc warheads were needed for supersonic vs supersonic head on AAM attacks because the fuzing at that time was not fast enough, or so I read anyways.

Yep. Since these were designed to be fired at and exploded among large bomber formations what I did was make the missile appropriately inaccurate, then fiddle with the fusing until I got the distance I wanted, THEN increase warhead size (I used FAE as the type) until I got the damage effects I wanted. Sometimes you gotta throw the "book" out. :yes:

I think, if you use the real world fuse distance you will face the problem, that we have only the blast fragmentation warhead for AAM. The more effectice Continous Rod Warhead is not available. So missiles like the R-60 (Aphid) are undermodelled if warhead efficency. Thatswhy it is better to use smaller fusing distances as in reality.