Sign in to follow this  
nestor

Saving edited gun.ini file with gun editor: in what new file exactly & how to proceed?

Spend some of time over the last 2 weeks putting adds -mostly aircraft- in expanded & newly patched FE. :moil: I did not stop with the ones Peter already got new fm's for but also tried the better part for which he previously furnished them besides & most of them still do surprisingly well. :fans: However the Spad XII of p10ppy presents me a problem where I sure could use some help. :diablo: I already tried it once and could not make the canon function. :nono: Giving it a second try I come to his bottom line and see where I wend of track: "Important: the GUNDATA.INI must be saved in the gun editor after manual editing".Got me the 3rd Wire 5 gun & weapon editors I could find but there I stray again ...Where do I go from there? Throwing it the edited GUNDATA.INI and saving it in what exactly?Went for a GUNDATA.DAT file but it gives me something that the text editor can open like an ini, so that is not it ... :alcoholic:

Some guidance with the exact kind of editor would be greatly appreciated. :hi:

Put the GunEditor in your main FE folder. Right click on the file (the icon with the arrow). When the box pops up, click on properties. Under properties, click on compatibility. Choose to run the program in Windows 98 compatibility mode. Click apply. Now double click on the GunEditor. The program should open. Click the Open tab. Find your Gundata.ini file that you modified. Double click on it. All of the guns should appear in the left box of the GunEditor. Click the Save button. That should save your new Gundata.dat.

My brain is fried after 12 hours at work. Somebody check to see if I missed anything in these instructions, would you?

Edited by Heck

Thanks Heck, that does it nicely :good:

But the Spad XII's A1 should take a speed course on that SAMC Moteur canon, however seeing what they accomplish with their Vickers one could is asking himself if that would be worth the trouble.

Enemy A1 - even the ones Peter did not refresh yet - is taking them out without any trouble.

Probably that is caused by the iron sight calibrated on the canon & so it is way off for their primary gun?

Following Peters advice & deleting the AI sections from the data ini to revert to TKs defaults for AI flight is apparently working here, all friendlies start finding their firing button and some actually hit enemy aircraft. :yes:

But the Spad XII's A1 should take a speed course on that SAMC Moteur canon, however seeing what they accomplish with their Vickers one could is asking himself if that would be worth the trouble.

Giggle

yeah it is quite hard to hit with... i would have liked to make it even harder but then its not a lot of fun... :wink:

AI does/did hit with it occasionally during testing... but i haven't flown it for a while

I tended to fly it by itself, with SPAD VII for wingmen/AI

it was very much a experten (sic) aircraft and there never seemed to be more than a couple at the front at any one time

certainly never a whole Escadrille (of course you can fly it anyway you like :yes: )

have a look at this later gunsight mod if you are worried about gun convergence

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=28472&hl

and unconverge the guns if they are (AimAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0)

I've got the addon gunsight attached here AttachmentPosition=0.000,0.5000,0.0000 on my local XII

and it certainly seems to help the AI to have uncoverged guns....

it a bit of a pain to implement i'm afraid...

Thanks p10ppy, I'll have to look into it and give it a try - thanks for the tip & the fun with your mod! :ok: In fact going to loadout for a change of wingmen was my next step.

The in-cockpit ironsight gives true aim for the Vickers while the one out of the cockpit sights true for the canon, though had to change ironsight to get one out of the cockpit, the one from the model seems not implemented in the updated FE version.

Quite spectacular when you nail the opponent, whew - but I still need 3 rounds for a hit.

Just got 2 Alb DI after one of them took out my right tail flap in the first passing, while friendly A1 stood by watching ...

I wonder how it performs on ground objects like e.g. tanks, like playing A10 in the big war? :biggrin: