Sign in to follow this  
serverandenforcer

Never got a chance to see this in the theaters

Just bought Max Payne Unrated yesterday on DVD. Haven't watched it yet, but was wondering if anybody here saw it and if it's any good?

I saw it and it is pretty good, effects are good story is kinda weak it is entertaining.

needed more Bullet Time.

also there are times in the movie where it sorta follows the games story, but then it just goes out the window in a different direction. its not bad, but i wouldnt pay to see it or buy it.

Well, I've never played the game... I kind of had a feeling that they would make a movie out of it, and that it probably wouldn't stay true to the game. Waiting on them to make a movie out of Strangle Hold and Half Life.

I didn't bother to see it after seeing the trailer. I loved the games and I knew they'd screw the movie up badly. And to think, the game was written and played as if it was already an action movie, all they had to do was follow the game's story and cut down the shootouts every second to the plot points so a 10 hour game becomes a 2 hour movie.

But no! they had to screw around with it. Made DMX Jim Bravura, they changed the music (the sequel's violin theme would have been perfect to use) and threw in supernatural s**t with those winged things. The game had no such thing. Maybe if Walhberg had played the game, he would've realized the screenplay was a screwup and his name would be big enough to make them fix it. They should have just had Sam Lake make the screenplay instead of the hollywood people.

They always screw up game to movie conversions.

1. They almost always pick the wrong games to make into movies (doom, resident evil, tomb raider, hitman, halo) and never games that have worthwhile stories. Max Payne was one, Deus Ex also cries for a movie, as does Mechwarrior or Bioshock. Maybe Fallout, FEAR or the STALKER games. Fallout they could probably do well, Liam Neeson and a few other big names did some voice acting so maybe they would reprise their roles in film.

2. They screw around with stories that were better than alot of hollywood stuff.

3. They usually get s**tty actors and directors.

I absolutely DREAD the making of a Half-Life movie and letting someone like Michael Bay, (or worse, someone who makes Bay look good) screw it up and tarnish Half-Life to the greater public, unless Gabe Newell and Marc Laidlaw were wholly involved as producers and had creative control. Only then would I feel comfortable.

Edited by eraser_tr

I think a lot of movie makers do not take games plots seriously, and when tasked with making a movie adaptation of a game they care very little about the original plot. They probably think they know better because they do movies. They probably see games as inferior. Ignoring the plot and making up their own thing, only visually resembling the original in some way.

I especially think of Doom. Original story is that a gate to hell is created through wich the creatures of hell come to invade our dimension. In the movie it is about genetic experiments.

If comic book to movie adaptations would get the same treatment, then superman would be a flying robot spacecowboy that wrangles asteroids, and be from Earth, not Krypton. This robot cowboy would dress like the superman we know so there would be some visual resemblence.

Max Payne at least stuck to the original background story, but why do movies always seem to butcher the plots from games so bad?

Bioshock IS being done. By Gore "Caribbean Pirate" Verbinski.