Sign in to follow this  
SGCSG1

Disappointed in new hardware

I just replaced my 8800 gts with a the latest wonder-boy, the 285. My 3dmark score went up 25% and my aquamark3 score went DOWN.

Those are really old benchmarks, I wish there was a good standard one that didn't require Vista.

I'm really thinking of sending this puppy back.

Errr, that's usually normal, as DX7/8, DX9 and DX10 are rather different beasts with rather different code path, most GPU are optimised for the latest and greatest DX at the time of conception, and legacy functions are, in a way, emulated, often leading to "decreased" performances in older games.

But that's not all, as for all games, even with brute numbers down, it still is more than enough to play at full resolution.

Benchmarks are NOT a way to measure graphic performances, they are a way to show off your brand new hardware, you should NOT take the numbers generated by these useless piece of crap as any indication of performance and rather play the games you want to play and compare the real case figures...

Video card alone does not a fast PC make...

A computer is kind of like a car.

The engine and transmission must be matched.

Likewise, the cpu and gpu need to selected such that neither one bottlenecks the other.

I upgraded my old P3 computer from a Voodoo 5500 to a Radeon 8500 to a Radeon 9800 Pro.

The jump from the 5500 to the 8500 allowed me to play games at 1600x1200x32 versus 1024x768 while keeping the same or better fps.

The jump from the 8500 to the 9800 Pro didn't buy me many fps, but I could run every game I owned at max quality settings.

So while I never got to see my 9800 Pro run as fast as it could, I still got what I paid for: the best possible image quality at the highest possible frame rates for my P3 computers.

In your case, I would forget the benchmarks and play some games.

If you don't see a useful increase in image quality and/or frame rates, then you wasted your money.

By the way, what are your pc specs?

If you are counting on your pc being fast because it is a Core2Duo or a QuadCore, then you need to play games that use multiple cores.

Most of the games I play do not support multiple cores and would not run much if any faster on multicore processors than they do on my single core Athlon 64.

I just replaced my 8800 gts with a the latest wonder-boy, the 285. My 3dmark score went up 25% and my aquamark3 score went DOWN.

Those are really old benchmarks, I wish there was a good standard one that didn't require Vista.

I'm really thinking of sending this puppy back.

Say WHAT? No way Jose - do not send that card back - never mind benchmarks - my brother in law have same card, it's awesome.

Say WHAT? No way Jose - do not send that card back - never mind benchmarks - my brother in law have same card, it's awesome.

I'll tell you this, it's one LOOOOONG son of a bitch. No way this will fit into the new case I was planning on building, I'll have to keep my old Antec P180.

Anyone want a brand new Antec Solo with two custom fans that has never been used, still in the box? Half price.

Around this card you BUILD new system not oposite :yes:

Yeah, keep in mind a dual or quad core core 2.4ghz cpu, for instance, is still just a 2.4ghz cpu even if there are two or more of them. Until the software starts to utilize the added cpus, games may not be a whole lot faster. If you have some background apps running while you play a game, like McAfee for instance, then you might see an improvement as the added cpu(s) take the load off the cpu running the game.

I will add that's why I will be upgrading my C2D 3.0GHz...to a C2D 3.5Ghz. :wink: