Sign in to follow this  
Sakai

I'm so excited......

Thats right i'm excited! So this can be understood, i'll start from the beginning. About a week ago I went to my local book store to grab the latest "Combat Aircraft" magazine that i've been addicted to as of late. While there, I happened across a paperback copy of "Red Storm Rising" for like six bucks so I grabbed it. Well, I read all seven-hundred some pages of this book in like three days. After I finished, I immediately jumped online and ordered "Harpoon 3: Advanced Naval Warfare". With any luck it will be here in a few days, and any shred of a social life I have will be torn away from me. If there are any Harpoon fans out there, give me some opinions on the latest incarnation. The last time I played it was in the free form back when AOL was cool and offered free multi-player for Air-Warrior and such. The version was Harpoon Classic and the time was like twelve years ago. Any feed-back would be appreciated.

Tom

Harpoon's cool. :biggrin: Although the interface takes some time to get used to it's really powerful.

I'm a Harpoon player from waaay back my last version was Harpoon Gold it is a great sim! Not too much of a learning curve if you know a little bit about naval surface warfare and how to deploy your Battle Group and its assets.

I just looked at the website for Harpoon 3 but they want $49.99

Red Storm Rising is a great book!

Edited by Viper6

Have played with Harpoon when it was still only a rule for miniatures, then with the Classic series, the II, and the early III...

I spent countless week-ends with them...

Unfortunately I discovered that I can't play either the II or my early III anymore (the II can't find the DRM, and the III apparently can't find its registration), still not sure whether taking the plunge for the new III, with multiplayer, is worth it...

lol, I got my copy off of amazon and it cost me $59.98. They had a different version that reminded me more of the classic version that was ten dollars cheaper but Advanced Naval Warfare comes with like seven battle sets that cover just about every navy from 1946 - 2015. And there is alot of user made battle sets and scenarios that cover WWII and some more obscure modern navies. I played the demo and the interface was a bit of a challenge, but my intrest (i.e. obsession) in modern naval warfare helped me get it. Living next to Bath Iron Works has caused me to have in-depth knowlage of the Arleigh Burke and Ticonderoga class warships, which are the center of fleet air defense. All my family members have worked there, I think i've been to every launch since the U.S.S. Shilo, a Tico class CG. I'm really looking forward to doin some ASW work with the new Flight II Arleigh Burke class DDG's, which have a helo on-board. The older ones only had the helo deck, no hangar. Thanks for the feedback folks!

Tom