Sign in to follow this  
SGCSG1

dumb rudder question

Ok, so I've never flown a real biplane. So shoot me. But here's my dumb question....when you apply left rudder your rudder actually moves to the right, yes? And your plane turns right?

Left rudder, turn right.

Or am I backwards?

I'm apparently not the only one confused by this.

In IL-2 when I apply left rudder, I turn right.

In First Eagles when I apply left rudder I turn left.

Left rudder should always make you turn left, no matter what. However, it can make you roll right, depending on the plane. That's why you should make a "coordinated turn" with left roll and left rudder together.

Okay, I see we need a lesson in basic aerodynamics here.

First, the rudder is part of the vertical stabilizer, or vert stab for short.

The vert stab is simply a symmetrical wing, mounted vertically. Which means the rudder is an aileron in the vertical direction.

So, lets look at what happens when you apply left rudder.

The rudder deflects left, increasing the force (think of it as an arrow) toward the right. That force pushes the tail right, causing the aircraft to yaw left like you would expect.

However, if the rudder is significantly above the aircraft CG, the force toward the right is also above the CG, which induces a roll to the RIGHT.

Normally, especially in swept wing aircraft, the roll opposite the yaw induced by the rudder is eventually overcome by the wing yawing 'into' the wind, causing more lift, and inducing a roll back into the direction of the rudder.

FC